Help Me Buy A Welder

jcgafford

10 Year Member
Jan 7, 2012
Adrian, MI
Need to patch a couple spots of sheet metal in my foxbody. I have stick welded quite a bit and have used a couple wire welders in the past but currently do not own a welder. Looking for advice on what i need to get by welding sheet metal in just a few spots. Can i get away with a 100 v flux core wire setup or do i need gas? Advice please.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you used it with the unshielded flux core on body panels?

I have used both gas and flux core....both work equally well. Its a matter of preference IMO. I used to like welding with nothing but gas in the past, but I ran out one time and had to start using the flux core wire. Now I'm better with it, than I was with the gas.

You'll have to set the temp and wise speed up as per recommendation to start, then adjust as necessary. Also, don't forget to reverse the polarity on the welder when switching from gas to flux core. Very important.

I usually use .030-.035 for most stuff.....although I'm sure a .025 wire with a little less heat would be better for body work. I usually just make sure to space out my welds properly and don't get the area too hot. Lincoln Electric Innershield NR-211 Flux-Cored Welding Wire — 1-Lb. Spool, 0.030in. Dia., Model# ED031448 | Welding Sticks Wire| Northern Tool + Equipment