Help me choose an intake!

MustangGT95

Jul 29, 2003
I finally sold my 400ex so I have some money to play with. First mod is going to be 4.10 gears and install. Next I need a manifold to go with it. I already have a e303 cam so I was looking at something with a range of 1500-6500 or so.

I already have a trick flow elbow and bbk 75mm TB and a CAI to go with it. Just wondering if I should get the RPM II, trick flow track heat, or the holly manifold. I was even considering the typhoon for the price, but I have heard they have issues with aftermarket elbows.

What would be the best setup for me?

• Sponsors (?)

whats your plans for future upgrades? as of now a gt-40/cobra intake would give you some hp but not much as you are pretty much stock. But if you have future plans for heads or a power adder, etc. you need to consider what flows how much for your needs.

A couple of years back when I was doing research on an intake, I settled on the RPM II, an Accufab throttle body, Mac cold air intake and Granatelli MAF. Otherwise, the engine is pretty much stock, although I've modified just about everything else on it. Now the deep roar coming out of the Bassani exhaust is matched by the shrill whistling sound coming out of the intake/throttle.

Future upgrades are Brodix heads and a Dart block.

FG

I will do heads down the road. I already have a cam, and soon full exhaust. So really once I get the intake I will just be lacking a decent set of heads.

This is a street car that will see track use some. I also will probably run a 75-100 shot of nitrous in the not so distant future.

Why? Because?:shrug:

My take on this is that you should go with a trickflow track heat because:

1 - You already have a trick flow 75mm elbow
2 - You already have a 75mm throttle body
3 - The trick flow track heat has a 75mm opening

Adam
A Street Heat has a lower RPM range, and IIRC it also has a 75mm opening, so that might actually be a better match for you.

Frankly though, I think you'd get higher intake air velocity with a 70mm T/B, elbow and intake setup. But that is just my personal opinion and I don't want to start any arguments.

Whatever you do, match the T/B with the elbow with the lower. Make them all the same diameter. And gasget match the transitions between them.

I would say RPM II or Track Heat. Its easy to open up the edel intake opening to 75mm. I did it with my RPM I. THink about where you want to go with your car because then you only have to buy it once.

Only reason I want the track heat is because my cam really doesn't have much power till after 2000rpm. So I don't see much point in getting an idle-5500 intake if my power is 2000-6000.

The 75mm TB is huge I will admit. I am going to try it but I may sell/trade it if its to big. I got it cheap so I'm gonna try it out.

I like how you think!:D Gear it up and let it rip. You won't have a problem with "low end!"

The 75mm TB is huge I will admit. I am going to try it but I may sell/trade it if its to big. I got it cheap so I'm gonna try it out.

It's not huge. Its great. Why sell it then buy it again? Your whole intake track is 75mm and larger, don't change it with a random 70mm constriction. You can search for a million threads of people with real dyno results showing improvements with just the upgrade of a 75mm TB, but I haven't yet seen one with improvements from downgrading.

People have been there and done it. Real world gains > looks good on paper gains.

Adam

I may go ahead and go with the trick flow. I just want to get the best intake I can now. I know edelbrock performer claims to add 37hp but what were they adding it to?

What kind of gains could I really expect from the track heat with the 75mm TB and cold air?

I like how you think!:D Gear it up and let it rip. You won't have a problem with "low end!"

It's not huge. Its great. Why sell it then buy it again? Your whole intake track is 75mm and larger, don't change it with a random 70mm constriction. You can search for a million threads of people with real dyno results showing improvements with just the upgrade of a 75mm TB, but I haven't yet seen one with improvements from downgrading.

People have been there and done it. Real world gains > looks good on paper gains.

Adam

Well said Adam. The sh it I read on here is unreal at times :nonono:

What kind of gains could I really expect from the track heat with the 75mm TB and cold air?

The best things to change in our cars, IMO:

1 - intake manifold
2 - offroad exhaust system
3 - computer tune
4 - Rear end gearing

I've done them all to a certain extent, plus some, and I have a mid 13 second car. I freely admit to not being the best driver; I need more seat time at the track. So thats about what you're looking at if the mods gets done.

It just seems to me everytime someone puts "too big parts" on their car, their ETs get smaller and smaller...

grn92lx said:
Well said Adam. The sh it I read on here is unreal at times

:SNSign:

Adam

Only reason I want the track heat is because my cam really doesn't have much power till after 2000rpm. So I don't see much point in getting an idle-5500 intake if my power is 2000-6000.

:shrug: Dont know if your interested but I have a 65 and I need a 75. :flag:

Anybody know if the stock STB will clear a track heat intake? If it doesn't I don't really care but I'd like to keep the STB if possible.

I think I will be placing an order for a black track heat intake, 4.10 gears and kit, and a set of BBK shorty headers to go with my bbk H, and mufflers.

I have a feeling the gears will give me the biggest SOTP difference but I'm hoping the car breaths alittle better uptop with the intake and TB.

BTW...think it will be time for 24lb injects yet?