Help me choose my exhaust combo! i know i know, ANOTHER exhaust thread

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
as of right now my 99's exhaust is stone cold bone stock, along with the rest of the car. i need you guys to help me choose a exhaust combo, mainly a cat-back.

its a weekend car, so i want it LOUD but i also want it to have a tone. No SLP I's, flowmaster 10 series, dynamax bullets, etc. while these can sound good, it isnt what i want. my county does not have emissions so no catted mid pipes for me. No dump or under the car exhaust either. full, straight out the back.

i've decided for certain i want a O/R X pipe. still debating on whether to do longtubes or not. i hear shorties on a 2V car is a waste so it will either be longtubes or stock manifolds.

Just for kicks, i priced a full system from LMR. Flowtech painted longtubes, matching flowtech o/r X and Mac catback. $688.85 + $14.95 flat rate shipping. not bad for a complete setup. im sure the labor cost of installing longtubes is breath taking tho. im having a clutch, pp, tob and flywheel installed sometime....im wondering if that would be the time to do longtubes to help out with the cost or if it would even matter.

heres my catback choices. give me your opinions, facts, whatever else you have.

( in no specific order )

*MAC Flowpath
*Bassani BX
*Magnaflow Magnapack
*SLP II

I'm pretty set on a o/r X because i like that higher pitched raspy sound. also, while flowmasters sound great, EVERYONE in my town has them - i dont want 'em.

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

you dont want a straight through catback if youre going to go O/R midpipe.

SLP LMII and Magnapacks are straight through designs.

if you like a high pitched raspy sound why do you not want SLP LMI catback with a catted X

thats exactly what you get..

reconsider what you want out of an exhaust system because it sounds like youre just talking on impulse.

As far as straight through mufflers go...

Borla Stingers have a great tone, and are very loud.

Bassani is right up there with them, I personally favor the Borla's a little more though.

Magnaflow Magnapacks sound great aswell.

I have a Mac catback and UPR catless X. Its loud, and I think it sounds great.

Here are some clips you can listen to of my exhaust. Just keep in mind that I am NOT running the tailpipes in these videos, but it will sound similar in tone, just a little more tamed.

YouTube - Mustang GT 0-70

YouTube - GT Autocross

YouTube - Mustang GT on Dyno

you dont want a straight through catback if youre going to go O/R midpipe.

SLP LMII and Magnapacks are straight through designs.

if you like a high pitched raspy sound why do you not want SLP LMI catback with a catted X

thats exactly what you get..

reconsider what you want out of an exhaust system because it sounds like youre just talking on impulse.

no, i know exactly what im talking about - not impulse. slp 1's are just noise, to me. i also know the design of magnapacks and slp 2s and they will produce a sweet sound as i have heard it in person.

its all opinions on what sounds good and what does not but im aware of my statements , thanks

As far as straight through mufflers go...

Borla Stingers have a great tone, and are very loud.

Bassani is right up there with them, I personally favor the Borla's a little more though.

Magnaflow Magnapacks sound great aswell.

I have a Mac catback and UPR catless X. Its loud, and I think it sounds great.

Here are some clips you can listen to of my exhaust. Just keep in mind that I am NOT running the tailpipes in these videos, but it will sound similar in tone, just a little more tamed.

YouTube - Mustang GT 0-70

YouTube - GT Autocross

YouTube - Mustang GT on Dyno

thanks for all the clips bud. have to check out when i get home and away from the firewall

you pretty happy with your mac setup?

I used to run an o/r h and flows. Started getting bored with the sound, and I wanted it a little louder, and I ended up with SLP LMII's. I'm happy with my current setup. SLP quality is excellent, the tips look good, and the tone is deep. It's easy to keep the volume on the low side if you want to, they dont resonate too bad.

I'm sure the bassani setup sounds good, never heard anyone not like them. Magnapacks seem to be a bit on the poppy side.

Another vote for the borla stingers :nice: They are similar to the magnapacks and the lm2's but I think the difference is that they are shorter, could be wrong though. They are more expensive, but try to find a used catback, I got a great deal on mine on ebay. There is a clip in my sig of the o/r prochamber and stingers.

I'd go regular Magnaflows with an off-road X. That'd be beautiful.

I have the catted X and after 6 years its pretty god damn loud. I would never want the packs.
The packs are nasty loud IMO. With an off road X the regular Magnaflows will give a nice classy sound, not raspy.:nice:

Heres mine a few years ago. Magnaflow Cat X and Magnaflows. I heard everything before I bought them and I god damn love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkK6haSI9w

No offense to the Mac or Flowmaster guys, but I'm no fan of any of their stuff. Bassani and Borla are good but were pricey back in the day. Dunno how they are now.