Help me decide: Cobra or TMoss

I have a Cobra intake that I was going to put on my car but I am now having second thoughts. I will have the expense(already paid) of the cobra plus a new strut tower brace(which I am going to replace if I go this route). OR I can sell the Cobra and get a TMoss lower and go from there. I have some Crane 1.7RR, a RPM extender, and 3.73 gears waiting to go on with the intake. I don't plan on changing heads so I think I will be just as well of selling the Cobra and putting the leftover money into the suspension. I'm not into drag racing but I do want a little more pep out of my car at the lowest cost possible. I need the money to rebuild the 302 in my 79 pace car. Look at my sig along with the parts listed above waiting to go on and give me your opinion.

• Sponsors (?)

install the intake and forget aobut the strut tower. some people say that it provides stiffness but i don't believe one word they say :nono: . plus, can't you keep the STB with the cobra intake???? i have the cobra intake but took off the STB long ago and don't know if it'll fit. :shrug:

95Vert said:
install the intake and forget aobut the strut tower. some people say that it provides stiffness but i don't believe one word they say :nono: . plus, can't you keep the STB with the cobra intake???? i have the cobra intake but took off the STB long ago and don't know if it'll fit. :shrug:
When you start getting the serious HP gains I would wanna get all the help I could from chassis stiffening IMO. Nothing worse than a bent frame from torsion. :notnice:

squall9393 said:
When you start getting the serious HP gains I would wanna get all the help I could from chassis stiffening IMO. Nothing worse than a bent frame from torsion. :notnice:

i know what you mean, but there are subframe connectors, plus he said that he really doesn't like to race so i don't think he'll hit 400 anytime soon

ps, i saw on your avator and sig that we have the same color car. i have the 99cobra (silver) wheels on mine and they look sweet, any pics of your car.

especially in a vert. my car has a lot of play already. I don't think the brace has much to do with drag racing (dunno about torsion) but cornering and such would be worse.

i'd go with what you've got, and why not stick the strut tower brace on there. Is something in the way?

95Vert said:
i know what you mean, but there are subframe connectors, plus he said that he really doesn't like to race so i don't think he'll hit 400 anytime soon

ps, i saw on your avator and sig that we have the same color car. i have the 99cobra (silver) wheels on mine and they look sweet, any pics of your car.
Proceed at own risk.

Lemme see if got some I can pull up and I'll PM you the link.

If you port the cobra intake it will be way too much for the stock heads. I just got a Tmoss ported lower and the power increase is very noticiable. He said with the port job it flows similar to a stock cobra manifold. Anything more than the stock cobra flow rates will be overkill for stock heads (according to Tmoss). I opted for the cheaper route and I think I made a good decision since I wont be getting heads anytime soon. JMO

mystang94gt said:
If you port the cobra intake it will be way too much for the stock heads. I just got a Tmoss ported lower and the power increase is very noticiable. He said with the port job it flows similar to a stock cobra manifold. Anything more than the stock cobra flow rates will be overkill for stock heads (according to Tmoss). I opted for the cheaper route and I think I made a good decision since I wont be getting heads anytime soon. JMO

:nice: :flag:

Use the Cobra. When more power is needed (i.e. when heads are added) just have the lower manifold sent out to TMoss. I have hit ported Cobra and I can tell you that the work is top notch. He should charge about 3 times what he does for the work and craftsmanship that's in the manifold.

I'm not going to argue suspension outside of two facts. One, Mustangs don't have frames, they have subframes. Two, I think running without a STB on a convertible Mustang is like running the motor 2 quarts low; it'll work, just not very well. Subframe connectors have nothing to do with the structure and rigidity of the front-end, so the assumption that subframe connectors are "better" is wrong. They are uncomparible.

Joe

OK, I'll simplify
Plan #1-
Cobra intake($400 already have it)
New Strut tower brace ($140)
cost 400 + 140= $540

Plan #2-
TMoss lower ($130)
cost $130

I have no plans on changing heads and if I do it will be Thumpers. I have no visions of horsepower stardom. I think I should sell the Cobra intake, buy a lower from Tom and use the leftover money elsewhere. Now, what do ya'll think?

I like plan #1 better. The Cobra is just a better intake all around. I personally think you will be able to benefit from it more than just a stock ported lower. A stock motor and intake with a 65mm is a waste. The cobra will really help the car inhale better since you already have upgraded the exhaust. The cobra will enhance the performance mods already done to there full potential.