Help me estimate the value!

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think the 390 cars received partial VIN's on their blocks, so as long as the parts are within a couple of months, there's no way to tell for sure it's not original unless someone knows it's not.

It's a nice looking car with a nice color combo, but the price seems a little high to me.

Are you looking for a original car as an investment or a car that you can drive?

There were 10,494 Mustangs in '69 with the 390.

A report from Kevin Marti would help on the rarity of this car, you'd think for their asking price, they'd already have one.

Eh...the car is overpriced for what it is IMHO. It's nice enough, but you can buy very decent 428 cars for than kind of money if you shop around, and in the long run the 428 car will be worth more in the end. I guess it just depends on what you really want... if you want a real "collectors" car (since that is what your comments seem geared towards) then spend that kind of money on a real "collectors" car like a 428CJ or SCJ (even if it's in slightly lesser shape). Eventually the 390 cars will follow as prices for the 428s continue to rise, but they'll never approach 428 values fully.

Hope this helps...:shrug:

Mach1Trav said:
Ok guys, Im thinking about buying this car, and I want help with value estimates. The engine is not original but is correct i.e. the 4v 390 from 69:

http://www.duffys.com/results.asp?stocknum=5072311

If anyone knows of a better example for similar money, please let me know!

Duffy's is well known as being overpriced. I would look at other avenues (collector car trader, local newspaper, and forums such as this one) before I pay the premium associated with buying a car from a collector car dealer. I wouldn't suggest ebay, or other long distance purchase either unless you can inspect the car yourself or pay to have a 3rd party evaluate it.

It’s over priced IMO. I bought a 69 Mach 1 390 with C6 same condition as this car just three years ago and paid $16K

My car don’t have the Mag 500’s ($600) or the louvers ($600) or the AC ($??????) but everything else is there but for the original air cleaner which this car don’t have either.

390 blocks from 68 and 69 don’t have vin numbers stamped on them and most don’t have casting numbers. Mine has no casting number or date code. I’m told over it the FE forum, it’s normal and the rule more than the exception.

The car is missing the original air cleaner assembly which, if you can find one, goes for $600 to 1K. It’s also missing the chrome valve covers that should say “Powered by Ford”. Who knows if the heads and 4V intake are correct. You will need casting numbers to tell.

Average retail (and I think this car is average like mine) is $23K which is up from about $19K a year ago. High retail is $37K For high retail, everything should be new and correct. I mean everything.

Places like the one that has that car try and shot for the moon and make big profits off this hobby. I don’t like eBay either. Too many scams going with cars. I see them all the time. Never pay a dime until you see the car in person and verify it is what it is.

Tim

DarkBuddha said:
Eh...the car is overpriced for what it is IMHO. It's nice enough, but you can buy very decent 428 cars for than kind of money if you shop around, and in the long run the 428 car will be worth more in the end. I guess it just depends on what you really want... if you want a real "collectors" car (since that is what your comments seem geared towards) then spend that kind of money on a real "collectors" car like a 428CJ or SCJ (even if it's in slightly lesser shape). Eventually the 390 cars will follow as prices for the 428s continue to rise, but they'll never approach 428 values fully.

Hope this helps...:shrug:

PLEASE show me some 428's for under 40k. :)

Thanks for all of your comments guys, I really appreciate the help. I am kinda an old school chevy guy who has seen the light, so alot about the values and specifics of casting numbers, etc thows me.

Second, I never said I was going to pay what the dealer was askin for the car!!!! Geeze! hahah I think I can get this car in the mid to high 20s. The dealer can put whatever price they want on the windshield, but they rarely stick to them.

For everyone talking value, I think this would make an interesting read:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=180012

a freaking SALVAGE TITLED 390 went for 62,640 last year at barrett - and the market has only gone up since then. I dare say you cant find a 428 car in #2 condition for under 50k. Someone prove me wrong, so I can buy it. Also, I am thinking of buying this car and taking it to barrett - I live in phoenix. I think this car would fetch well over 40k with that crowd.

Timmy said:
It’s over priced IMO. I bought a 69 Mach 1 390 with C6 same condition as this car just three years ago and paid $16K

My car don’t have the Mag 500’s ($600) or the louvers ($600) or the AC ($??????) but everything else is there but for the original air cleaner which this car don’t have either.

390 blocks from 68 and 69 don’t have vin numbers stamped on them and most don’t have casting numbers. Mine has no casting number or date code. I’m told over it the FE forum, it’s normal and the rule more than the exception.

The car is missing the original air cleaner assembly which, if you can find one, goes for $600 to 1K. It’s also missing the chrome valve covers that should say “Powered by Ford”. Who knows if the heads and 4V intake are correct. You will need casting numbers to tell.

Average retail (and I think this car is average like mine) is $23K which is up from about $19K a year ago. High retail is $37K For high retail, everything should be new and correct. I mean everything.

Places like the one that has that car try and shot for the moon and make big profits off this hobby. I don’t like eBay either. Too many scams going with cars. I see them all the time. Never pay a dime until you see the car in person and verify it is what it is.

Tim

Mach1Trav said:
PLEASE show me some 428's for under 40k. :)
You won't usually find 'em listed on eBay or collector dealer sites. You'll need to look a bit at local shows or forum listings. Still, a 30 second search (literally) found this one on www.classiccartrader.com for $36.5 asking price. It needs paint, but after negotiating the price a bit (to say $34k) and add $6k to bring it up to spec and you're into a legit and very decent 428 car for $40k.

They're out there, you just can't expect 'em to fall into your lap.:shrug:

Timmy said:

Tim
Here is what NADA Says:

October 16, 2005 print this page
Original MSRP: $3,122

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
Base Price

$10,150 $21,400 $35,400

Options

390/320 HP V8 Engine 25% 25% 25%
Air Conditioning 15% 15% 15%

TOTAL PRICE $14,210
$29,960*
$49,560

Who's numbers were you quoting? They would obviously be better for using against the dealer...

DarkBuddha said:
You won't usually find 'em listed on eBay or collector dealer sites. You'll need to look a bit at local shows or forum listings. Still, a 30 second search (literally) found this one on www.classiccartrader.com for $36.5 asking price. It needs paint, but after negotiating the price a bit (to say $34k) and add $6k to bring it up to spec and you're into a legit and very decent 428 car for $40k.

They're out there, you just can't expect 'em to fall into your lap.:shrug:

Thanks for the lead Budda. Wasnt really looking for a project car, but that one may be worth a look. I will call about it!

As for values, NADA "collector" car values are not terribly accurate unfortunately. They are often inflated for lower level models and undervalued for higher end models. Kruse auction values are typically inflated as well. Just think about the kind of folks that (can afford to) shop at Kruse auctions and pay the auction premiums on top of the car price. Ebay is closer, but those auctions are often overpriced feelers for the sellers, and corral twitchy fingered pseudo investors who often inflate real values because of the auction excitement factor (i.e. gut over brains buying). You'll do better to visit shows, check Hemmings and Ford collector car traders to find real deals and values. Keep a good eye out and shop smart and you'll find just the right deal out there with your name on it.

DarkBuddha said:
As for values, NADA "collector" car values are not terribly accurate unfortunately. They are often inflated for lower level models and undervalued for higher end models. Kruse auction values are typically inflated as well. Just think about the kind of folks that (can afford to) shop at Kruse auctions and pay the auction premiums on top of the car price. Ebay is closer, but those auctions are often overpriced feelers for the sellers, and corral twitchy fingered pseudo investors who often inflate real values because of the auction excitement factor (i.e. gut over brains buying). You'll do better to visit shows, check Hemmings and Ford collector car traders to find real deals and values. Keep a good eye out and shop smart and you'll find just the right deal out there with your name on it.

Yea, I hear ya. I dont believe crap I see on Ebay either, too easy to shill. I think the Mecum Auction this weekend will set the bar until Barrett Jackson comes. One guy I chat with on the Boss 302 board said that he sold his 70 Boss and 68 gt-350, but for "a little less than anticipated". I have been anxiously awaiting them to post the results since friday - I figured they would update while the auction was ongoing, but if they did, I havn't found it.

Thanks for the encouraging words and advice. I just need MORE MACH!!! haha my 03 needs a friend :)

DarkBuddha said:
lol... that's a big price drop from the original ad you posted. But, uh, I still kinda think it's a bit overpriced, even at $29k... :shrug:

Yes, and hopefully it wont sell on ebay for a few weeks and my cash offer of 25 will be accepted. :wink: