help me get around 300-350 hp

nakednipple

Apr 18, 2005
hi i have a 98 gt, im wondering what it would take to get 300-350 hp with out putting a blower/turbo on it. i really like the idea of just motor mods with out a blower. thanks for all your help.

p.s. i have a 5.0 pro shifter and 40 series flows.. thats it.. thanks again

• Sponsors (?)

mph(modular powerhouse) stage 2 1/2 heads, stage 2 vt cams, pi intake, and a good tune. thats what I'm doing in a few weeks, and it should put me around 320-330rwhp according to mph. if you do all the labor yourself it will still run you close to $3,000. add a bullet intake manifold, and a bunch of bolt ons, and you'll be closer to 350rwhp

nakednipple said:
damn thats alot of money for jsut 300 hp !!!!!!!!!!!!! like woah... haha i can throw like 1k at a z28 and have the same results.

Mind you, you're starting out with a much greater deficit than an LS1. Your car has approx. 190ish rwhp. You're looking to gain an addional 110-160rwhp. Not the easiest thing in the world to do with a non-pi all motor 98 GT.

You'd have to change a lot, so expect to pay a lot.

nakednipple said:
sorry for the double post, but i could prolly mod a 5.0 and get the numbers i want easier than my 4.6? should i just try and get a 5.0 ?

it will probably end up costing you more to switch over to a 5.0L than getting your 4.6L to 300-350rwhp.

nakednipple said:
i love the way my mustang rides and all, but that amazes me that a v8 can produce such low numbers... its like ford had to try to make it slow lol !
Low for a Mustang, sure. But compare the Fords 4.6L (281cid) to Chevy's 283 and tell me that bowties make more power. :rlaugh: LSI are fast, that's for sure, but it's not due to a superior design, it's due to sheer displacement. Trust me, without it, they'd just as easily be a 4.6L Mustangs bitch. :D

crazynorwegian said:
mph(modular powerhouse) stage 2 1/2 heads, stage 2 vt cams, pi intake, and a good tune. thats what I'm doing in a few weeks, and it should put me around 320-330rwhp according to mph. if you do all the labor yourself it will still run you close to $3,000. add a bullet intake manifold, and a bunch of bolt ons, and you'll be closer to 350rwhp

you are not going to hit 320 hp...maybe 300...check my mods, and see what mph got me..

98stangv8 said:
you are not going to hit 320 hp...maybe 300...check my mods, and see what mph got me..

I'm just going to what people are getting with this setup. my setup will be lightly different from your. I'll be using mph heads, which flow slightly better then the vt heads, and I'll be using the stock short-block, so my compression will be over 10-1 with the new heads.

vt stage 2 heads
220 intake/ 195 exhaust @ .550lift

mph stage 2 1/2 heads
235 intake/ 202 exhaust @ .550lift

crazynorwegian said:
I 2nd that or go with VT! :nice:

nakednipple said:
damn thats alot of money for jsut 300 hp !!!!!!!!!!!!! like woah... haha i can throw like 1k at a z28 and have the same results.

You've also got to consider the base cost of a Z28 vs a '98 mustang GT. Take the extra money you would have spent on a Z28 and do a PI swap and some nitrous and watch the LS1 owners scratch their heads. :nice:

I'm in the same spot as you, I have a 1998 GT but I think I am going a little different route. I am going to do the PI heads and intake swap with either Stage 1 VT cams or stage 2 and comp valve springs, Accufub 70mm throttle body and plenum, BBK LT's, MAC offroad H Pipe, steeda triax shifter, 4.10's, drag radials, subframe connectors and a good tune. Then maybe a few extra bolt ons like timing adjuster, pullies etc. What is the difference in power between VT stage 1 and 2 cams?