help me identify this 429 in my backyard

gingerbreadman

Only half-baked
Founding Member
Jan 17, 2002
Go ahead, call me cheaky
Ok so scrounging through the buy and sell and see 79 f250 429 $1500 I give the guy a ring. its 4 hours out of town but i go for a look with some tools and cash. I get there and first thing i check is the stroke and ya its a 429. the number i found on the block was c9ve-b my book tells me thats a 69 429/460 block. the numbers i found on the heads just above the middle exhaust ports were c9ve-a my book tells me thats a 69 429/460 head. now the guy told me they were cobra jet heads. i bought the truck anyways got it for $900. I got the truck home and pulled the valve cover and it has adjustable rocker arm studs and pushrod guideplates (according to my book exclusive to the cj and scj heads unless machined for this)

My questions to you guys are where do i look for more numbers to identify what these heads are or do i need to pull the manifolds off and check port size?

I did a compression check on the engine and it came out low on a few cylinders. i oiled up the cylinder and it came up, so rings right?

I havent decided what im going to do with this truck/engine the truck is no hell but its a runner im eaither gonna save the engine for my next car (mustang posibly) or freshin it up and put it in my pickup (77 3/4 tonn 4wd)

gbm is getting back into the car scene, just took a little break to get life in order. but got the house and the shop now so...

-gbm-

• Sponsors (?)

ya i figured they were non cj heads my bud had a book says cj heads have 5/8 spark plug socket and these had 13/16. they are not positive stop rocker studs. these are adjustable it has been machined for this i guess. i wont know what type of porting has been done or what valves are in it untill i pull the engine apart, the guy mite have made them "like a cj" and the guy i bought it off didnt know the difference. either way it dont matter its a geniuine 429 ready for a nice solid build and for the whole truck at $900 cant complain.

thanks guys.

-gbm-

The C9 heads are good ones, small combustion chambers and actually are better than the CJ's after installing CJ sized valves and ported out to match CJ ports. That's according to Ford not me.

in one of my books it says the non cj 69 heads are the ones to get for the street, yes the cj heads flow huge but thats the problem they gain high rpm horsepower but sacrifice low rpm power wich we want on the street, talking to a old ford guy he has a book that does a build useing a stock 69 engine, cj intake, cj exhaust manifolds and the stock 69 non cj heads, the therie is that the restriction at the heads causes velocity through the heads creating more turbulance and air flow, it was dynod to produce better then the cj . was interesting.

-gbm-

-gbm-

I read old power parts writing on the subject and they say you can actually port the first 1/4" of the intake ports to CJ size, then blend them down into the stock port, as part of polishing.
This allows a CJ port intake to be used.
Very aggressive in dual plane form.
Anyway, they too said this was the hot ticket for dual plane/street action with a 69-70 Lima engine.

Actually, I was thinking that, since Josh is "North of the Border"; we could probably put him together with listercat to find a Big Cat in which to stick that 429 :D

that would be cool but i don't if he'd go for it though since he's all red-neck and pickup trucks now... no offense partner but you do have a cougar parked in the griveway so that counts for something. Josh on the other hand has no excuses anymore since he sold the old pony. :rlaugh:

sounds like this motor is the best engine for what you're looking for, too bad you don't still have the stang, you could put the 429 in it. :rolleyes:

thats why i bought it.
ya coulda wedged the 429 in the stang but why take a running car and hack it up to put in a different drivetrain combo. i have no regrets selling the stang, wasnt the time to be messing with cars, now is the time so im on the look out.

stangdreamin: are you refering to a couger? Id love one, i looked at a 68 a little while back, it was all dismanteled no engine and the dude still wanted $2200 i just couldnt do it.

The next hard thing to find is a big block toploader to mate up with this 429. Im not putting it infront of a auto those days are done. ratio 411 got any hookups?

-gbm-

thats why i bought it.
ya coulda wedged the 429 in the stang but why take a running car and hack it up to put in a different drivetrain combo. i have no regrets selling the stang, wasnt the time to be messing with cars, now is the time so im on the look out.

stangdreamin: are you refering to a couger? Id love one, i looked at a 68 a little while back, it was all dismanteled no engine and the dude still wanted $2200 i just couldnt do it.

The next hard thing to find is a big block toploader to mate up with this 429. Im not putting it infront of a auto those days are done. ratio 411 got any hookups?

-gbm-

look for a big body (71-73) cougar, they are quite a bit cheaper than the early ones and they are nice comfy cars too. my brother worked his butt off to buy a yellow 71 that belonged to one of his friends' mom but they backed out of the deal after he came up with the cash. he was pissed and i was pissed for him.

look for a big body (71-73) cougar, they are quite a bit cheaper than the early ones and they are nice comfy cars too. my brother worked his butt off to buy a yellow 71 that belonged to one of his friends' mom but they backed out of the deal after he came up with the cash. he was pissed and i was pissed for him.

nice cars but not my bag. Im looking for a pre 71 stang coupe or fastback, early couger. maybe a torino or a cyclone, i dunno i might even go for a falcon in good shape. who knows, depends what comes up.

-gbm-