help me not fear the gear

• Sponsors (?)

the only reason you might lose some gas milage is because you allways want to put your foot in it.....other than that you should get about the same MPG.......and you will smile big for the next week.....

Dave

WRXracer said:
I dont understand why you all fear the gear.. go drive a import they come stock with atleast 410 430 gears.. it never bothers me..
Yeah, S2000 used to have 4.10's but they changed them in 2k4 for better mileage :p
They also changed something that affected the torque curve though, so the gear change was helpful.

4.10's WILL give you lower mileage if you cruise at the same MPH as you did with 3.27's since it's a higher RPM. Barely higher (I think 500rpms more at 70MPH) but it IS less mileage even if it's 1 MPG.

Wait, you have 3.73's? :shrug:

Firemanz said:
Is your main concern gas mileage? :shrug:

Or the ability to do the speedlimit? 4.10's don't take away that much top end, lol.....:p

i dont care about gas mileage, all i care about is being able to cruise at 75 for 50 miles at a time. and to not be destroying my engine while doing it. :shrug:

Dont fear the gear. Mike(automaticweapon) is going to be going with 4.56 gears in his car and I think its a daily driver.:eek:

I'll be putting 4.30's in my auto which rev's on the highway like a five speed with 4.56's and I'm not worried one bit.:nice:

jeff1414 said:
I am trying to figure out what I am going to do I want the 4:10's bad But I know that I will be supercharging it sometime in the future(not any time soon) should I go with 3:73 then. Hmmm What to do?

When I went to over 370hp and 470rwtq at the rear I also put my old gears back in my auto trans. The car was shifting at the trap and I kept hitting the rev limiter.Trying to hook up with street slicks was a joke.

I like the way the car is set up now. A 355 gear would be max unless cut out the fender well for a bigger slick.

My 60' is 1.75
and a 7.875 in the 1/8 at 88 mph.

Not bad for an auto conv. with stock gear.

Let me say this again.. for those of you that went 3.73 instead of 4.10 because of RPM or highway cruising issue, you're not listening quite well from people who actually HAS the gears.

The main reason that people go 3.73 instead of 4.10 because of the power adder that they plan to put on the car.. not some highway and rpm crusing issue..

Anyhow, 4.10 is around 300 rpm above 3.73...

bergs said:
i dont care about gas mileage, all i care about is being able to cruise at 75 for 50 miles at a time. and to not be destroying my engine while doing it. :shrug:

500 mile round trips to Idaho. I'm fine. You can do 50 miles in your sleep. But please don't. :p