help me out with my idea

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
so im a senior in HS and i have about 2 months before schools out. i figure i can save around 800 dollars. im goin to a school thats about 4 hours away, gf going to school far away. on the weekends i may go see her. my car likes to break,
so i was thinking......

my friend just got a working ef (1990-1991 civic hatchback) for a couple hundred dolllars. hmmm... seems like i can find a local ef hatch for 300-400 dollars. then maybe a engine and trans for 200-300 and have a nice little car thats reliable, good gas mileage, cheaper insurance, hopefully no power options (breaking power mirror/door lock switches on the mustang now) to drive to school, where my fresly painted mustang can sit at home and be safe. i dont want it to get hurt, thefore dont want to take it to school.

biggest problem - talking parents into it, there lazy, and finding a place to store my mustang.

what do you think of my idea? park 15 mpg car, get cheap hatch civic. from here until end of school i estimate to have saved about 800 dollars, only want to spend maybe 600 though to have some set aside for school. then i have all summer to work on it, and work to make more money to take to school with me.

what are the things that can hurt my car from sitting so long. id put it on blocks, and a flannel sheet, cover, and tarp. i wont do it if it will hurt my car from sitting so long......

let me know what you think about this idea, im just thinking it will be better for my gas expenses, and to preserve my mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

I just couldn't see myself coming up on Summer and planning on storing the car. That just seems backwards. I also couldn't see myself getting within 100 feet of a honda lol. I guess I enjoy driving my car so much the disadvantages like maintenance, insurance and gas are worthwhile expenses i'm happy to pay. I kind of accepted that before I bought the car. On the other hand i'm sure it's not an easy choice for you either to drive a 400 dollar honda over your nice mustang. Just keep in mind a 400 dollar honda can easily break then you're out 400 dollars you could have saved or put into the mustang or you may keep trying to save the honda so you can keep driving it. If I was going to have a money pit it's going to be my mustang lol. Either way good luck. My vote is to either save the money for whatever may happen or put it directly into the mustang in preventative maintenance.

Why buy a Honda that needs work, just save up like a thousand and buy one that will run for awhile though. I have a Honda as a daily driver and most of the time it just sits at home. I hate not driving the Stang, so it gets driven all the time!

casue i can get one going pretty well i think, i have tons of friends into hondas. i didn't think hondas broke that much either. i wont be putting a fart can on it. ill spend my time cleaning it all up and getting as much gas mileage out of it as i can.

what kinda damage will sitting for a schoolyear at a time do to my car? is it better to drain everytyhing and let it sit, or to keep everything in it and have someone start it everynow and then? my dad will be here, he can start it everynow and then for me? and ill still be home on breaks....

you'll probably be home enough to just let it sit. You have like Thanksgiving then Christmas then Spring break, then summer. Not to mention a couple of long weekends inbetween. If your out for a while im sure your dad wouldnt mind warmin it up and takin a little cruise if its nice out.

But if you decide to let it sit straight through, look up one of the many "storing the car for winter" threads...its all in there

gunmetal you would even take your beloved mustang to college where it can be messed with by people who don't care? i will prolly always dd mine after college, i just dont want to dd one after college with keymarks in the paint from college...... get where im coming from?

I bought a Saturn as a DD so I could park my stang during the winter months...

YES, I love my stang enough to NOT drive it Gunmetal! lol... Of course, I guess you dont have to worry about salt and snow...

Anyways, you gotta factor in the expense of insuring an extra car and the fact you now have ANOTHER depreciating investment. (meaning, no matter what you will lose money.. pretty much lol)

My decision to get a DD did not save me money.. HOWEVER, it did save me a BUNCH of times just having two cars..

Both or broken something at one point or another and I was able to drive the working one while I waited for the cash and time to fix the broken. (that was convienent)

Im a smoker... yea, sue me. I do not smoke in my stang. But I do in my DD and I allow my friends too also. This is always cool because when I got friends who are gonna light one up, I know to take the keys to the saturn instead of the stang.

I could keep goin...

buy a motorcycle. they are light years faster and get way better mileage than a civic. then you can use the stang as a back up instead of just storing it.

Buy some DD/ If you can do a cheap Honda do it. I DDed my Mustang for years, then got a jeep, then a 4 cyl Mustang. I will NOT daily my other car, leave it in places where other people will mess with it. For someone with a newer paint job, if I were you, I wouldnt either!!!