Help me put together a carburated setup!

ImportEater98

Mar 17, 2003
Worcester, MA
Well the time has come...my 89 LX is coming off the road and becoming a race car.....now i need a bit of advice.
I am changing from EFI to carburated. Now before everyone jumps down my throat on this one, i have done my homework and this is what i want to do.
Problem is, i can put together a good EFI combo...but i haven't built a carbed engine in a long time, and never an SB Ford.
What heads, cam, intake, carb should i put together? I am looking to make appprox 400 crank hp all motor...and then spray it later on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
John

• Sponsors (?)

I like Matt's idea alot better-go with what you know man...

if you truly wanna build a carbed race motor though, 400 hp should be an easy goal to hit...now, it's the spray i'd be worried about-400 horse is starting to step into block splitting territory depending upon the build up

a 347 with 11:1 c/r, a set of AFR 225's, and a healthy AFM cam should EASILY net you beyond 400 at the flywheel

I was told to go to:

flowtechinduction.com

for getting a custom cam...I still have yet to call them up. also, just run a few searches on here about what your goals are, and you should come up with about 3 or 4 dozen ideas.

GOOD LUCK!

CobraWannabe said:
I'd have to say bore and stroke to 347, AFR 185 heads, Edelbrock Victor intake, and a cam that any cam company can recommmend for your combo.

not tryin to shoot this one down, but I was informed many times that the 185's wouldn't allow a 347 to reach it's potential... :shrug:

if it's gonna be a dedicated race car, i'd go all out...just me though

TFS-R heads,12:1+ compression (mill heads if needed),Edelbrock Victor intake w/ pledulm work and port matching,now heres the thing-a BIG solid roller cam.Top the with a 750 and use 1 3/4 R specific headers.

im in the process of switching to carb...BUT my car was a speed density car (things might have been different if i had it was a mass air car) i did a 331 with AFR185s.....not sure what carb im going with yet

txstang84 said:
not tryin to shoot this one down, but I was informed many times that the 185's wouldn't allow a 347 to reach it's potential... :shrug:

if it's gonna be a dedicated race car, i'd go all out...just me though
depends on how fast you want to go.....one of my friends has 185s on his 347 and is running 10.1X's

Again...thanks for the great info guys.....i think AFR 185's are the way to go. The TFS's are comperably priced but i like what i read on the afr's. Now as for a carburator, would a Holley 750 DP be way too much carb? Reason I ask is i have one in my garage that came off a SBC. Also if i am going to be running nitrous, is it work it to run a "nitrous - grind" cam? Comp Cams X-Cams offer a nitrous option. I think its just less overlap than the others..keep the valves shut longer for more complete burn....again...i'm an EFI guy from way back...so any input is much appreciated!

Fantastic! I can actually use something thats been taking up room in my garage....i always pack rat stuff and never use it!
I think i will skip the nitrous cam and go for a good n/a cam.....now i am going to sound like a dummy....but should i buy a book on how to tune holleys? I hear they are difficult to tune.

ImportEater98 said:
Fantastic! I can actually use something thats been taking up room in my garage....i always pack rat stuff and never use it!
I think i will skip the nitrous cam and go for a good n/a cam.....now i am going to sound like a dummy....but should i buy a book on how to tune holleys? I hear they are difficult to tune.

yeah, go ahead and buy the book, it'll always be within easier reach than the keyboard...but if you run into a firewall, then you could always post up on here to clarify any problems you may have.

it's not that they are difficult to tune, but when/if you get it dyno tuned, then keep in mind, fattening up the mixture under a certain condition is not going to be as easy as clicking away at the laptop; it'll be pulling the bowls off while trying not to scorch your extremities, cleaning up any spilled fuel, (i don't like fire potential under the hood of a car...bad stuff ya know), changing the jets, and possibly power valves, then having to put it all back together and run it again. buy lots of gaskets, and one of the super-mondo-bad-a$$ tuner kits from Holley...it'll end up being your best friend.