help me spend $5,000

so, i'm going to be getting some extra cash soon (next 30 days or so)
it's going to be a inheritance of about 35,000 give or take a little.
most of it is gong to pay off the wife's student loan and the 08 ram we bought last year.
then a lot is going in to a Roth IRA where it will sit for about 30 years and grow with the market.

however i have set aside about $5,000 to have some fun with. i.e. putting it into the mustang.
At first i was thinking re-doing the body.(new paint and making it perfect with the 93 cobra body kit)

but after the recent performance at the track i'm now leaning towards the motor.
it's a stock 5.0 with a cold air, a header back system. the motor has 218,000 miles on it and it just started burning oil.

i'm leaning towards a long block. something i could buy for under 5k then drop in the Eng bay. i'm looking for a mustang that will run 12's at sea level and be a blast on the street. it does not need to be a daily driver but as much as i like to drive it now i whant it to be streetable. i thinking a 331 or 347 but leaning towards the 331 for relibality reasons. i whant the comp to stay low so i can run 87 pump gas and later whant i have everything elese done on the car i could put a turbo or blower on. to push it over the top.

-so what do you guys think of this idea? what heads? what builder? what cubes? what about a sportsman block?

should i just blow it on hookers and coke?

thanks for the input guys

• Sponsors (?)

I know it's a bad time to invest because of the economy but it's also the best time. Get in on the ground floor well it's cheap. I'm not sure if it's a stupid thing to do but i will buying GM stock after they come out of bankruptcy. It's hit or miss but if it hit's I'm sure it's going to be huge. It my take years years but i'm young and have the time. Just my 2 cents.

Now back in the day i would have spent that money on a wicked small block or a sweet supercharger and a tremec.

I spent $5K on Ford's stock back when it was at $1.93 :)

I wanna cash out and spend it so badly!

I wouldn't touch GM's stock. With the upcoming 100-1 reverse split, and being on the verge of bein delisted from the DOW, i can't see their stock making any significant return any time soon

I spent $5K on Ford's stock back when it was at $1.93 :)

I wanna cash out and spend it so badly!

I wouldn't touch GM's stock. With the upcoming 100-1 reverse split, and being on the verge of bein delisted from the DOW, i can't see their stock making any significant return any time soon

I'm 35 now. I have 30 years to let it grow. I'm sure it will do just fine in the very long run....

True. A lot can happen in 30 years.

Buying right now might be tricky with a potential upcoming reverse split. Either buy now and take a hit when it splits and drops...or pay an inflated stock price after the split

most of it is gong to pay off the wife's student loan and the 08 ram we bought last year.
then a lot is going in to a Roth IRA where it will sit for about 30 years and grow with the market.

however i have set aside about $5,000 to have some fun with. i.e. putting it into the mustang.
At first i was thinking re-doing the body.(new paint and making it perfect with the 93 cobra body kit)

for the people who did not read the post.

but your right i should have just said help me spend 5,000$

Very simple. Go down to the post office and buy a pre stamped envelope. Take the change and buy a money order. Put the money order in the envelope and mail it to me :nice:

5K won't be quite enough money to build a new stroker engine for your car, in just the longblock alone, even just starting from a stock-block base. On top of that, consider fuel system upgrades and of course, drivetrain upgrades needed to handle the extra power. Theoretically, you could do it for 5K (and I'm sure those ultra-budget guys will speak up), but you'd be cutting corners and short changing yourself on both performance and reliability.

You could just freshen up the motor you have with a full rebuild and some aftermarket H/C/I and have a 12 second car easy (maybe even 11). It definitely doesn't take a stroker to go 12s.

1. Pay off debts/bills;
2. Send remaining balance to me.

Done. :nice:

:D

Very simple. Go down to the post office and buy a pre stamped envelope. Take the change and buy a money order. Put the money order in the envelope and mail it to me :nice:

I can visualize you two standing on a street corner together with tin cups. Dave playing geetar and you doing stand up comedy. :lol:

but he did sell his SRT-4 so does that make him kewl b/c he sold it or is it still questionalbe b/c he bought it in the first place :scratch:
Thats a tough one, it was replaced with a Hyundai Accent so I would take that $5000 and throw the Accent in the recyle bin (plastic or aluminum, dont matter) and get a better DD like a Cavalier or a Kia :shrug:

You wont get a stroker motor for $5000 i have $5000 in my 351w thats everything and it's not stroked. I would use it and do heads custom cam (learned my lesson) intake amd all the other supprting mods. LaserSVT you sound like the guy that was gonna buy my headers i wanted $150 for,he said he would send me $1000 and then i would cash the MO and send him the change so i'd have enough to cover shipping! :rlaugh: Turd Tops why not buy a bunch of pontiac stock as well when you buy chebys stock.But then i think S&B has the best idea sell your car for whatever and buy a fully moded fox like this one 1991 Turbo Mustang Coupe. he started asking $19,000 i think for it.Offer him $12,500! peace

john:p