Help me understand the difference between a DISAGREEMENT and an ARGUEMENT

SuperDave

Early-Model Mentor
Founding Member
May 3, 2000
Tacoma, WA USA
The trend here is to see any disagreement as an arguement which has a very negative conotation to many posters. I say disagreement is a healthy and productive response if it is based on sound reasoning and experience.

Why do we have to agree to make a valid response? Can't ANYTHING be learned when a poster stands in opposition?

I see it this way. A person who learns to fly only on a flight simulator might feel qualified to fly a 747 based on his "knowledge" of flight. Would you fly with him? Why or why not? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

a disagreement is when 2 people hold a different view from one another and in a civillized manner work it out. an argument is when 2 people hold a different opinion and hardheadedly hold their opinion as the only correct one ,and dont care to hear the other side or compromise an agreement.=an argument is a waste of all parties time while a disagreement is a learning process for all open to suggestion . thats it IMHO.

A disagreement is fine. Two people don't have to agree what is the best engine etcc... Thats a difference of opinion, and as long as two people state the reasons for their opinion in a civilized way, all is good. Its when someone decides to start calling names and say the other person does not know anything because their opinion is different when it becomes an arguement. Because, inevitably, the one being called the names is going to respond the same way.

I would say an argument is a disagreement with malice. Disagreement can be healthly. After all we all have different opinions. That is a good thing or we would all drive green four door corolas

Bartman: OK, I read that there is agreement on the difference. Why then is disagreement seen as "malice" when it runs contrary to one's opinion?

I believe that I disagreed in the six/V-8 swap thread but I gave reasons which were blown off as "arguement" by some. Malice is a word with harmful connotations. Why were my words interpreted in such a way?

I appauld :nice: the LACK of name-calling and profanity so common elsewhere. I offer input here in hopes of offering a balanced and thoughtful perspective, be it "yeah" or "neigh". Indeed, if we all agreed on everything, it would be a dull world and we'd all drive "green, four-door Corollas".

it depends on how you are using the term argument. anytime two or more people take differing views on a particular subject, it is a disagreement regardless of th epassion involved. an argument can be your line in the debate to show your point of view, either calmly or heatedly. example;
i say a V8 swap is time consuming and expensive, but depending on what you plan for the car, can be worthwhile. super dave on the other hand argues that keeping the car stock is always the better way to go.

does this mean dave and i dislike each other, or are mad at each other? no, it just means that he and i are using rational arguments to establish our point of view. an argument is merely part of the dichotomy of discussion. when arguments get heated, and tempers flare, that is when you have problems of name calling, and other problems.

to disagree is to agree against something without argueing
to argue is to "fight" with words against each other

ex. disagree
"a camshaft is a square object."
"you are incorrect, a camshaft is a long shaft which uses lobes to push up the lifters."

ex. argue
"a camshaft is a square object."
"you are incorrect, a camshaft is a long shaft which uses lobes to push up the lifters."
"WTF!!! YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CARS OR ENGINES!! YOU SHUOLD CRAWL IN A HOLE AND DIE!!"
"YOUR MOM!!"

anway.. arguements rarely ever end.. pointless - unless there is a point.

rbohm, hope I got that right. Anyway, the name calling and insults is what turns a disagreement into an argument. When each side presents their case for their opinion and both can see some validity in the other's, that is a disagreement. Cause, contrary to alot of belief, there is validity, no matter how small, in each side. Its when one person decides that the other side has no validity, and decides to throw out name calling and insults when the malice is entered. I see Dave's point completely on many things. Especially preserving originality when it needs to be preserved. I believe he would agree though, that in some cases, a swap is not a bad thing. If one of us just says something like "you don't know what you are talking about you idiot" not quoting anyone in particular either, then thats when it turns into malice.

rbohm: Name calling and profanity are often the last retreat of the people that have LOST the arguement. They have simply run out of the vocabulary to express themselves more adequately.

IMO, people who do this constantly have an inferiority complex and, in my experience, they are 100% CORRECT! :D

When you get to be as old as I am, there is no difference. I don't get worked up over either one. As you age your testosterone level decreases to the point where you just don't give a hoot whether anyone agrees with you or not. I try to make my case with the logic as I see it and people can take it or leave it. All I ask is they consider the point I am trying to make.
Peace,
Howard :nice:

I have always believed that if you post in a forum, you are letting people view your opinions and ideas. Chances are that not everyone will be in agreement with what you have to say. So in fact by posting, you have invited debate, whether you like it or not. We all have our opinions, and believe what we say is valid and true.

Recently I was on another site and responded to a post that I thought was meaningless, and arrogant. Boy was I met with nasty posts, curse words and such. The expectations of the poster seem to be that you have to agree with what he said , or you shouldnt respond to his post. That is not reality in a forum, or in life. This young man is in for a rude awakening as he grows up.

I welcome debate, agreement, disagreement, whatever. Makes the world go round!

Super Dave I agree with you. What I should have said instead of malice is maybe hatefulness. I like the fact that we have differing opinions. I also appreciate your experience and opinions. What I don't like is when someone is personally insulted because of their age or amount of income, when they don't accept certain advice. I am 36. I have owned 6 mustangs, 1 cougar and 1 ranchero, my first being when I was 16. I have done the majority of the work myself on all my cars. I will be the first to say I am far from an expert, however, A lot of modifications I have done to my cars( that have all been safe road worthy daily drivers) were said by many "you can't or shouldn't do that because it's too hard or it's just not right to do that to such a nice car". I have always felt that when I forked over the cash it became mine to do as I pleased as long as it was safe on the road. For example, when I bought my current 65 fb. I looked for a solid body and frame. I knew it was to be a daily driver. I would never trust the lives of myself or my wife and 15 yr old daughter to almost 40 yr old parts and tech. So that means at the least new suspension and power disk brake conversion. New springs because 40 yr old springs are always shot if the car was driven at all. Now with that car the internal combustion engine already was a v8. But I am putting in an aod tranny anyhow and a nine inch rear. Rear springs needed changed anyway, 40 yr makes em sag. Basically, if a person is already planning on all that, there isn't a lot of difference in a I6 to v8 swap. In my opinion. But if someone wants to do something different to his car then I support their efforts. It is also a good learning experience for a youngster. One might say that it is just too expensive. What I find expensive is buying a new car and trading it in two years. I bought a two year old explorer for my wife. I paid 18,000. The original sticker was in the glove box. It was 35,900. That guy drove it 16000 miles and lost $18,000. I could give my mustang away and only lose 11,500. So in perspective I don't view it as too much money. But even at that, that is an individual decision to make. I hope you don't think I have hard feelings, because I don't. I am glad we don't all see eye to eye. This would be pretty boring if we did. I just don't see need to put someone down as a person. That's my 2 cents. As a side note. I did use this board to vent about an indivdual in the mustang world a couple months back and regretted it. I also publicly apoligized on this board to him a couple weeks back. So unfortunetly I don't always live up to my own standards as well as I should

Don't we all! During a recent evaluation at work, I was asked what my biggest shortcoming was. I thought for a second and replied, "I've passed up several good opportunities to keep my mouth shut". I may not be the perfect employee, but at least I'm entertaining!