HELP! My car weighs 3620 lbs. Put it on a diet!!!

my gt weighs 3560 w/o me. im going to take out ps, ac, smog, insulation, front and rear bumper things, and the foglight bar. i already taken out the spare and jack, and some tubing from smog and ac.

• Sponsors (?)

If you remove the smog pump, you have some options with regrad to the belt. 1) Buy a smog pump idler pulley which allows you to use the stock belt. Ford Racing makes the idler pulley. 2) Use a shorter belt and simply take the pump off - if you have power steering and a/c it'll take a belt about 84.5" long. 3) Run without the belt completely - which will work quite well until either the battery runs out of juice, or the car overheats and melts down - overheating is likely to happen first. :)

My 82GT tips the scales at 3650, it is easy to get a GT into the 3600lb range but much harder to get the weight back down, unfortunately in order to get the weight down you have to make sacrifices, if you are not willing to do that then dont worry about the weight. You will pick up about a tenth per 100 lbs, dropping 200 may or may not be worth 2 tenths in the quarter.

Agreed. I'd be more concerned with shifting your fat so you get some advantage from it, like moving the battery to the right rear, etc. Oh, btw- it'll cost you, but much less then just about any other weight savings part change; a set of weld wheels will shave some serious weight off all around. You can get them on ebay for under $500 with tires, if you hunt around for awhile. Racing may not be a direction you are interested in heading, but if you aren't then why are you trying to slim down? Just my $.02

I will be doing some amateur racing this summer at the track. I think I am gonna pull my smog pump,as it's already bypassed, but I am gonna leave the hoses in so I can reconnect the pump. I have AAA, so I guess I could loose the spare (I have brand new tires, too). I do have to keep my fog lights, as they are my main source of light at night. Hey Cobra, I don't think the scale is broken when it has to be used on a daily basis, and other guys are posting numbers in the 3500 range. My car has an innodinate amount of extra crap on board, so I believe it is in the 3600 lb range.

you could rip out all the insulation under the carpet and scrape away all the black tar stuff from the hatch to the firewall. that would be a good bit of savings there. how about taking a couple of the speakers out, those magnets aren't exactly light. behind the speakers and along the side of the car(under and around quarter windows) is some more insulation too. do you trust your own driving? you could remove the front inner bumper.

i beleive you have to think a little differently. you cannot think of doing one thing to save all the weight. it's all the little things that add up.

BTW, those types of scales may be perfectly accurate, but i don't beleive they are calibrated to get a perfect weight of something. it doesn't matter if a scale is off by a couple hundred pounds, as long as it weighs the trucks the same every time. :shrug: i would just go to another scale to confirm it. it's not a big deal.

I would weigh another Mustang kinda like yours and see how much heavier yours is! If the are about the same then the scale numbers are wrong. If yours is much heavier than yours is too heavy and needs to be put on a diet.

If you take out your front fog lamps there is a huge piece of metal attached to your bumper that weighs a bunch and there are 2 U shaped brackets that hold you lamps in place. Take those out. People said they have dropped 40 lbs but i think it is closer to 25-35.
But if you are looking to lose weight everything that everyone has said is the best way to do it. My buddy put some serious dynomat in his probe and it slowed the car down big time...but i guess it is ok it stop the 4 12's from rattling the $hit out of everything

o btw, do u even have that long ghetto pipe that connects the smog pump to the H/X/PC hooked up? cause if not it aint doing $hit anyway....annddd a smog pump wont make u fail emissions or help u pass, it simply DOESNT work...and its only 2 bolts i say remove...at most it will take u 10 mins to put it in.

AND, 4200?????? and its an LX??? that with u in it? and do u wiegh like 800 pounds??? something definitely not right with that picture :shrug:

My car with a full tanks of gas and me in it only weighed in at 3450 (I'm about 230lbs.), this was at the race track. Granted, my car is an LX, but still. That's an awfully big variance. If you really want to lose the weight, ditch the soiund deadening and the under coating, that's probably where most of your weight is.