Help!!Need 428PI/428CJ Guru!!

LimEd99

Apr 3, 2007
Illinois
My bro has had a 68.5 'R' code Stang (wimb. white) since '78. when he bought it, it had Cobra Lemans valve covers, 2x4 bbls, and the oval cobra air cleaner. Being in his early 20's back then he just assumed it was a shelby dress up kit/intake on his 428 CJ heads and block. He sold the intake /carbs and got the correct 735 Holley.The car has basically sat since the early 80's since this was all done.

Recently we have been poking around and got some numbers off of the block and pulled the oil pan and got some #'s off the crank/caps.

We think he had a complete 67 GT500 engine and broke it apart.

What are some solid identifiers for his current block/heads?? If he has a 67 GT500 long block...what would it be worth?? (still a strong running engine)

Looks like we will be looking for a 68.5 428cj long block. What are the identifiers for these?? (68.5 year, not 69-70)

my e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks for the help!

No pics of the engine yet.
428CJ006.jpg

428CJ001.jpg

Attachments

• 428CJ006.jpg
    428CJ006.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 72
  • 428CJ001.jpg
    428CJ001.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Sponsors (?)

Check the date codes on the block and heads before doing anything. The current engine could very well be the original. The date codes if correct would be castings from a week or so to a couple months before the car's build date. The dual four setups were available as over the parts counter items from the mid 60's to mid 70's and could have been dealer installed at time of purchase or added later.

Check the date codes on the block and heads before doing anything. The current engine could very well be the original. The date codes if correct would be castings from a week or so to a couple months before the car's build date. The dual four setups were available as over the parts counter items from the mid 60's to mid 70's and could have been dealer installed at time of purchase or added later.

Your right. I think we are going to pull it and check out every clue.