Help, New Fox Body Owner, Best Basic Mods?

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by tango5469, Nov 2, 2013.

1. tango5469

tango5469 New Member

Hello, I have finally got myself an 88 Mustang GT 5.0 5 speed needs small restoration. I want to turn this into an everyday driver with better mileage and efficiency and am wondering what are some good basic mods to do this. I've already figured a good exhaust and H or X pipe without cats and have heard about going with a Mass Air set up. I dont want a major power house, just a good cam etc. If I go Mass Air set up, what all do I need to get and do to accomplish this. Thanks for all your help
  2. mikestang63

mikestang63 Mustang Master

Showcase:
    Albums:
    gears
    exhaust
    subframe connectors
    shifter
    94-95 gt MAF
    explorer 65MM TB
    K&N filter or fender mounted CAI
  3. tango5469

tango5469 New Member

For keeping this close to stock is subframe conectors really necessary or gears? I'm only lookin to get maybe 275-300hp. How good is the intake? I heard about a tuning from Tweecer.com that can greatly improve the computer. Any thoughts?
  4. A5literMan

A5literMan Mustang Master

To change to mas you need to swap the computer,meter,and some wiring. They still have some "kits" if you look for them. If you plan on a cam and other upgrades it's almost mandatory to switch if you want it to run right. To get 275-300hp you need at least heads,intake,cam,fuel system upgrades,and the mas switch or a power adder(blower or turbo or nitrous). One of the best bang for the buck is rearend gears. They really wake up even a stock engine. Look at the top of this forum under really common questions section. It will give you a lot of information.
  5. tango5469

tango5469 New Member

Alright thanks
  6. reldla1996

reldla1996 Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Sub frames aren't necessary, but they sure make a huge improvement in handling. Tuning could substitute for the MAS conversion, but the MAS conversion is the superior solution. Otherwise, tuning does not make much difference on these OBD I cars unless you're supercharging, or stroking, so you don't need that.