Help on E-Brake cable

88GT460

Sep 23, 2004
Arkansas
My recently bought 96 Mustang GT's emergency brake cable is missing, as in not there. I've looked and looked for a cheap solution (i.e. just the cable) and haven't had good luck. Is this an easy fix or do I need to purchase a new emergency brake assembly, and if so can someone point me in the right direction for that part.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You might be the first!

You're talking about the front cable that attaches to the handle, right? Hmmm... $58 at LRS and RockAuto doesn't have 'em. Have you tried the Ford dealer?

The left & right rear cables look like they're pretty easy to find.

The cheap solution if you can't find one anywhere else for a reasonable price is to grab one out of a junkyard.

The left & right rear cables look like they're pretty easy to find.
Sorry to veer off topic, but.....

When I bought my car, the guy I bought it from said. "Don't use the emergency brake" , I assume because the cables are rusted.. Would a new left and right cable get me back in business with a parking brake? It would be nice to have, but I've never thought to check out what parts I would need to fix it when it is up in the air..

Thanks

Sorry to veer off topic, but.....

When I bought my car, the guy I bought it from said. "Don't use the emergency brake" , I assume because the cables are rusted.. Would a new left and right cable get me back in business with a parking brake? It would be nice to have, but I've never thought to check out what parts I would need to fix it when it is up in the air..

Thanks

The parking/e-brake cable is different than the left/right brake cables that come from the rear of the car. They join near the brake handle, and a seperate cable runs from that to the e-brake handle itself.

'96-'98 (maybe '94-'95 too) had a recall for the e-brake. The cable was too long or something but it would not hold the car on a hill if it were manual and parked in neutral. The "fix" by Ford was sloppy at best. Hope you are successful with fixing it.