Help! Pass seat rubbing the door...

Tim2002GT

Founding Member
Apr 10, 2002
Tulsa, Oklahoma
My passenger seatback is so close to the door, it rubs it while I'm driving. It usually doesn't bother me, but I took it out for a long Sunday drive and it really started to annoy me. Anyone else have this same problem? What can I do to fix it?
I was thinking about putting two 1/8" thick washers under the door side of the seat mounting bracket to try to raise that side up a little, but IDK if it will help or not.

• Sponsors (?)

does it squeak? first problem i ever had with my car was that the passenger seat eventually drove me insane, rubbing and squeaking against the door...

try some leather cleaner or armorall if you have leather seats...then they wont be so squeaky.
if that wont fix it, then you're only other option is what Gringo said... louder stereo, OR louder exhaust.

I havn't had this problem with mine or my dad's but what I would do is this:
1. Unbolt seat from car and remove seat
2. Hog out the holes in the seat with a dremel or a drill or what ever
3. Reinstall seat in car shifted over towards the drivers side as allowed by clearancing the mounting holes on the seat bracket.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=711157

I still haven't done anything about it. I am going to be removing the seatbelt rings by the headrests and doing the legroom and recline mods to that seat soon, and will probably try shimming the seat a bit. I rode in the passenger seat the other day, and it's really uncomfortable, since it situates you on the door, which makes you lean to the left. It's horrible.

Mine does the same thing, it pretty much touches the door at all times & it squeaks like hell...I adjust it a little forward & it goes away.... It must be fairly common judging on how many people in this thread already said their car does the same thing...

YUP

TSB
03-1-5 TRIM - PASSENGER SEAT RUBS AGAINST DOOR PANEL

ISSUE:
Some vehicles may exhibit the passenger seat rubbing against the door panel or trim. This may result in a squeak type noise, especially in vehicles equipped with leather seating. This may be caused by the seat position in the vehicle.

ACTION:
To service, install shims (washers) to move the seat-back away from the door trim. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

CAUTION: SEAT TRACK MAY BE SPRING LOADED. THIS MAY CAUSE THE SEAT TRACK TO MOVE DURING REMOVAL.

Remove the front passenger seat per Workshop Manual procedure listed in Section 501-10.
Remove the front passenger seat backrest and latch per Workshop Manual procedure listed in Section 501-10. Only remove the top two bolts of latch (Figure 1). Discard lower bolt.
Obtain Seat Shim Kit 1R3Z-63000A25-AB.
Install four (4) of the 1.5mm-thick washers (8 included in kit with a 12.1- 12.4mm I.D.) between the seat backrest bracket and the seat bottom cushion frame (Figure 2).
Install other four (4) of the 1.5mm-thick washers between the seat backrest latch and the seat backrest frame at the upper bolt location (Figure 1).
Install the three (3) 2mm thick washers (smaller I.D.) between the seat backrest latch and the seat backrest frame at the lower bolt location (Figure 1).
Using the bolt that is provided in the kit for the lower hole, Re-install the seat backrest latch using the reverse of the procedure listed in Section 501-10.
Re-install the seat backrest using the reverse of the procedure listed in Section 501-10.
Re-install seat into vehicle using the reverse of the procedure listed in Section 501-10. Slide seat towards center console before tightening seat to floor.
Verify that seat does not touch door panel.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
1R3Z-63000A25-AB Kit - Seat Shim