HELP!!!! Power steering too touchy???

tHeOnEGT

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2001
new jersey
My 90 notch has 15:1 power steering rack w/new inner tie rods, outer tie rods, and stock PS pump and pulley. It was origanally a 4cyl so i really dont know if its a 4 cyl pump or 8 cyl pump.

to the point, it will swerve left or right very easily when steering. I mean like just toching a bit to the left or right and the car will move a good foot to either side. :shrug: :nonono: I wouldlike to have it rather tighter or stiffer as u would say.

Any recomendations on what i should do, maybe a different PS pump or different PS pulley? :shrug:

thanks,
eric

• Sponsors (?)

Im pretty sure it does that because its a Ford... My dad tells me that Fords have always had darty steering, even back when he had a 71 LTD... I just accepted that the car becomes darty and unstable at highway speeds (or higher). But im sure it can be fixed somehow.

its not unstable at high speeds, but it definitly is annyoing.My 01 gt wasnt like this, and my corrola is fine too. I thought my corrola was a bit touchy, but my stang is so much more, that corrola feels like a gem now.

I hope somebody has some idea on how to make it stiffer???

i dont have a cure for you, but will share that mine is the same way. i kinda wish i had not used a quick ratio rack on it. for me, the steering is very easy to move (like with a pinky), as well as reacting very quickly. the other cars i have are not like this - i wrote it off as being idiosynchratic of the stang PS.

a FR manual rack would cure it. :D
good luck.