Help radiator neck

Can someone measure the distance from the top flange on the radiator neck down to the bottom flange on a 65 or so radiator?? My new one is puking water out the overflow after it warms up. I've tried 3 different caps. Temp is only getting to 190 - 195 (mechanical gauage). New engine, new radiator, new thermostat. Bought the radiator at a cheap place (yea, yea....) and concerned that the cap isn't seating right and letting the water out before it should. I have checked for blow by and no bubbles. Engine runs great otherwise.

Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of rad is it? Your problem is most likely your cap and not the rad neck. If you bought a alum rad you could increase the cap from 12lbs to some where in the 18-24 lb range. Becareful though, as the added pressure can blow out weak hoses

THANKS

Well that is what mine is too (.770 - .780). My caps are about the same or even less. That would mean they aren't really sealing (with any spring pressure). I'll go look tomorrow and try and find a "deeper" cap. Hopefully that is it.

Thanks,

First question I have is how "full" are you trying to keep the rad.? On both of my '66's, the level is about 1 inch below the lower part of the opening. If it is higher than that, it will overflow when shut off. I have been told by many that this is normal. I just fill it to the top one time, run it and let it overflow until it finds it's own level. As long as the actual temp is not going to high, you will be fine.