Help replacing A/C compressor clutch.

My A/C clutch went bad. It squeeled, then it stopped blowing cold air. I looked at it and there's black rubbery stuff falling out where the clutch would be. So I'm pretty sure the clutch just kinda fell apart inside the compressor. What exactly should I be asking for at the parts store? So I can find out how much this is going to cost. And of course the hottest day of the year so far happens to roll around with no A/C and my daughter in the car.

• Sponsors (?)

yea it is your AC clutch seems to happen alot on mustnags my buddies and mine went out right at 80,000 miles
if I rember correctly it is about $110
you will also need some snap ring pliers and a feeler guage to install it.

it is a pretty easy install.
the main problem I had was getting the snap rings on and off

I just did this about 3 weeks ago. A new clutch assembly was 300 bux canadian.I bought a scrap yard compressor complete for 50 bux.I removed the clutch and put it on mine.Now i have ice-cold air again :hail2:
If you go to your local automotive store you need to ask for the clutch assembly.You will get the clutch..pully...ect.

This is what i did to replace mine.I pulled the belt from over the AC pulley then I removed the bolts that hold the compressor in place, that way i could tilt the compressor upward so i can see what i was doing.On the front of the clutch is a nut that holds the front plate on.Once you remove this you may need a puller to remove this plate ( i carefully pryed mine off with a couple flat head screw drivers , dont force it you dont want to warp it) If this doesnt work you need a puller.The puller screws into the round opening where the nut came from.After you remove the outer plate you will see a small washer on the "shaft" that spaces the front plate away from the pully (do not loose this washer) Then you will see a snap ring holding the pully on.Remove this with your snap ring pliers.After removing the pully you will see another snap ring holding the base part of the clutch assembly in place.Remove this one and then you should be able to remove the last part of the clutch assembly.Its a pretty simple thing to do, i did mine when it was hotter than F...... outside, that didnt help any :rlaugh: Just make sure you keep track of how these parts came off and you will have no probs .
If you have any probs gimme a PM and i might be able to help :D

Good luck....

The disc or friction plate on my 88 LX has come apart 3 times in 170,000 miles of driving. It is the outermost part of the clutch assy. It is an easy fix, take loose the 12mm hub nut and slap a new one on. All 3 desinigrated and left a powdery rubber residue all around the front of the compressor. You can buy just the disc from Ford or anyone that sells Motorcraft.
Ford part # E43Z-19D786-A
Motorcraft part # YB-289-A
Everytime I've replaced it I just reused the original little spacer washer that came with the car. I used a Ford part everytime. The pulley, field coil & compressor are still the OEM 1988 originals. :flag:

bobcatv8 said:
The disc or friction plate on my 88 LX has come apart 3 times in 170,000 miles of driving. It is the outermost part of the clutch assy. It is an easy fix, take loose the 12mm hub nut and slap a new one on. All 3 desinigrated and left a powdery rubber residue all around the front of the compressor. You can buy just the disc from Ford or anyone that sells Motorcraft.
Ford part # E43Z-19D786-A
Motorcraft part # YB-289-A
Everytime I've replaced it I just reused the original little spacer washer that came with the car. I used a Ford part everytime. The pulley, field coil & compressor are still the OEM 1988 originals. :flag:

is this what causes the screeching loud sound from the compessor? Is that "disc" what many call the clutch? What's the cost on that? I think autozone sells the a/c compressor clutches for around $70-80

I'll have to look the price up at work Monday. It is a Ford part so it will be more expensive than aftermarket. Ford parts are the only ones that I know of that breaks the clutch down into the 3 seperate pieces. Inspect the contact surface of the pulley to make sure it's not messed up. Mine has been OK all 3 times the disc failed. The pulley and field coil are held on by snap rings and may require at least tilting up the compressor to remove them if needed. The field coil and pulley do not go bad nearly as often as the disc and hub does. The disc and hub take a lot of abuse every time your AC clutch is activated.
Been there, done that! :)