Help! Should I Sell 2010 Mustang

LibGrabberBlue

Apr 25, 2015
I have a 2010 premium grabber blue mustang. missing an air dam but other than that flawless - new brakes, tires in 2012, perfectly maintained by my dad since I bought it new. I have an offer for 13,300 for it from a private buyer. I cannot decide what to do at all, and it's keeping me up at night.

On the one hand, I am not financially stable enough to consider financing a new Mustang right now and won't be for a few years. Best I could do is take the cash and buy a 2012 or 2013 used mustang. My fiance has a car and we live in a small place, so theoretically I could wait for 2015 mustangs (the one I really want) to go down in price and pay cash for one later (financing just a little bit, of course).

On the other, my car is not that old, only has 68,000 miles, and runs beautifully. I am very emotionally attached to it although I know that's not a reason for keeping a car. But I am moving across the country in a couple of weeks to be with my fiance, far away from anyone who knows how to do routine maintenance on my car. I worry that if something wears out or breaks I will end up spending thousands on repair when I could have put those thousands toward a 2012 or 2013 model (also considering those models have a rehauled engine and better gas mileage).

What should I do???

• Sponsors (?)

If you're attached to the car, keep it. A cross-eyed monkey could perform basic maintenance on these things and there is no way to know whether the newer car you purchase has been treated better than yours. At least you're certain of that with what you have.

When you're in a position to actually afford what you want, go for it. Until then, enjoy what you have. It really doesn't sound like selling and rebuying used is a smart play from the standpoint of the life you describe, both financially and emotionally.

Agree with TT5, Is this a GT or V6?
1.) is it paid for? if yes - Keep it. No car payment is the best position to be in if your driving something you enjoy.
2.) I'm sure there is a mechanic where your moving too... I wouldn't get rid of a car because of that... Heck, start learning how to do stuff yourself. 68K on a 2010 is practically still new.
IMHO I'd rather spend money on maintenance than start over with a whole new loan. Every car (new or old) is going to need maintenance.

Keep it. They can pass 200,000 miles with ease. My 06 has 188,000 troublefree miles, 500,000 is the goal. Did 357,000 on my 88 LX 5.0. If you really want a 2015, hang on to this one, make payments to yourself (Savings for GREAT downpayment), then in 2016 get a new one and avoid the minor first model issues that pop up.