Help. Something wrong with top end

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlehogg311

Sep 20, 2010
I have an 04 GT with 52xxx miles on it. Ive had it a little over a month. Its basically stock other than full bassanni exhaust without cats. I think it has also been tuned or had a programer on it. Ive had the car up to 140 a few times. Had no problems at all.

Problem... The other day I got the car to 120 in 4th which is where I shift out with 5500 rpm. I went into 5th and the car sounded like it was lugging out and just wouldnt go any faster.

Well today I was doing a test run and when I got to 4800 rpm in 4th it sounded like it was lugging out again and would not gain speed or rpm at all. I went into 5th and same thing.

Now just driving the car everything works fine. Nothing sounds messed up. No check engine light. I can even be running 70 in 5th and give it gas and go up to 100 without a problem.

So would could be causing this problem? I just had my rear end bearings replaced the other day and the car never done this before. Is there anyway something could have been messed up during this to cause the problem?

• Sponsors (?)

+1 on above.

Check the posts. There are plenty of cases where long high load pulls in 5 gear spins main bearings, rod bearings, or hurts pistons. The problem is the oil is pumping into the heads faster than the oil can drain back. The sump is pumped dry.

Get yourself an oil filter cutter. Cut the oil filter open and look for bits of metal on the filter element.

Run a compression test.

Start saving for the next motor.

*EDIT* here is the oil filter cutter I use. Works good. Bought it after dropping a valve in an F150. Now I check all of my filters after every filter change.

http://www.amazon.com/Longacre-Oil-..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1285081100&sr=1-1

+1 on above.

Check the posts. There are plenty of cases where long high load pulls in 5 gear spins main bearings, rod bearings, or hurts pistons. The problem is the oil is pump into the heads faster than it can drain back. The sump is pumped dry.

Get yourself an oil filter cutter. Cut the oil filter open and look for bits of metal on the filter element.

Run a compression test.

Start saving for the next motor.

Yup sounds like metal fragments are in your near future to me.

I figured the motor may be going bad. I wasnt sure tho. I am due for an oil change so when i do it ill cut open the filter and check it.

BTW where I live.. we have miles and miles of straight aways in the middle of NOWHERE that people race on all the time. Its a small town thing, no one bothers anyone when that far from town and no one has been hurt on the straight aways Im talking about.

I figured the motor may be going bad. I wasnt sure tho. I am due for an oil change so when i do it ill cut open the filter and check it.

BTW where I live.. we have miles and miles of straight aways in the middle of NOWHERE that people race on all the time. Its a small town thing, no one bothers anyone when that far from town and no one has been hurt on the straight aways Im talking about.

That's all fine and good, ever think about an animal running out in front of you?
SN-95's get squirrelly north of 130-140, lack of downforce.
Keep doing this and it's only a matter of time.
May God bless you and keep you safe.

That's all fine and good, ever think about an animal running out in front of you?
SN-95's get squirrelly north of 130-140, lack of downforce.
Keep doing this and it's only a matter of time.
May God bless you and keep you safe.

God has nothing to do with it. This is pure "Darwinism"...

OP, if that motor spun a bearing at that speed there's a real possibility it could throw that rod and hole the block and/or oil pan. If you're going that fast and the rear tires are oiled you're definitely going "off road."

Anyway...

Are you hearing noises from the engine at idle? When cruising at "normal speeds", on load, no-load and coast?

Any oil consumption or smoke?

What does the temperature gauge do during these "runs"?

Consider a compression test and, if you can wing it, a leakdown test.

God has nothing to do with it. This is pure "Darwinism"...

OP, if that motor spun a bearing at that speed there's a real possibility it could throw that rod and hole the block and/or oil pan. If you're going that fast and the rear tires are oiled you're definitely going "off road."

Anyway...

Are you hearing noises from the engine at idle? When cruising at "normal speeds", on load, no-load and coast?

Any oil consumption or smoke?

What does the temperature gauge do during these "runs"?

Consider a compression test and, if you can wing it, a leakdown test.

No noises at all, idling, driving, coasting, using cruise control, eveything seems fine to me. No oil consumption and no smoke. Temp stays the same, I dont do the runs back to back or constant. Its more like a once every other day deal.

And about my driving... I only go so fast when Im alone in my car. I know its dangerous and anything could happen. Im not scared. When its my time, its my time.

If it's not making noise during normal driving perhaps the engine is mechanically alright.

Get scan tool on it and log: MAF, fuel pressure, spark advance, IAT and even the front O2 sensor voltages. Look for discrepancies.

Again, it goes without saying that driving 140+MPH on any public road this side of the autobahn is crazy and doing-so in a stock-aero New Edge Mustang is borderline insane. But as long as the only life put at risk is your own...

You've got a driveshaft loop, right?

When I said every other day... I was wrong lol. Ive done it 3 or 4 times in a month and a half time. Yall are acting like its a big deal to drive 90+ on public roads or something. The road I use is brand new, smooth as can be and over 5 miles straight and barely has any traffic since its 20 miles from the nearest town in any direction. Only time it gets used much is during hunting season because it goes by a game reserve.

Ive seen people hit 185 out there in what use to be a state trooper camaro. We know the speed, had a local cop clock him. I know people who drive 120 on a daily baisis. I havent had my car over 140. I got to 140 once and 130 to 135 a couple more times. Didnt seem to bad to me. Now 150 in a 76 chevy long wheel base truck and 140 in an 06 chevy truck is scary. And so is 160 on a bike lol.

BTW Im not wanting this problem fixed in order to keep doing it, Im just wanting to figure out the problem before it gets worse.

I used to know a few guys like you. Liked to take their v6 mustangs or stock gt's out to a local straight away and do high speed runs. You said somebody has been clocked out there doing 170 or whatever. So that means other people are out there watching. Have you ever thought about a tire blowing out and you running into the people watching? Because it happened to one of my friends. Quit being an idiot and trying to give excuses why it's no big deal. It's guys like you who give us true mustang enthusiast a bad rep with the rest of the community because you sound like someone who goes hot roding thru town, put others lives at stake so u can try and show off.

Have I street raced before? Yes I have, but I've also grown up and realized how irresponsible it is, which is something you need to do before you hurt yourself and or others.

Guys I'm sorry if I am being a huge douche right now, but I lost some people I care about because of people driving like this guy says he does. I just get really fired up when I hear people talk about it and think it's cool and funny.

I am not gonna criticize your need for speed, but you need to get some stats on your vehicle, this is why I install some basic gauges on mustang, oil pressure (which is kinda useless, until you have no oil at all), Vacum gauge (this has came in hand quite a few times), and temp gauge for the Radiator. If this does that at those speeds the symptoms are gonna trickle down to normal speeds eventually.
Low fuel pressure or a bad fuel pump, vacum leak, I mean those symptoms can be a result of any number of things, get some stats done a.s.a.p.

I used to know a few guys like you. Liked to take their v6 mustangs or stock gt's out to a local straight away and do high speed runs. You said somebody has been clocked out there doing 170 or whatever. So that means other people are out there watching. Have you ever thought about a tire blowing out and you running into the people watching? Because it happened to one of my friends. Quit being an idiot and trying to give excuses why it's no big deal. It's guys like you who give us true mustang enthusiast a bad rep with the rest of the community because you sound like someone who goes hot roding thru town, put others lives at stake so u can try and show off.

Have I street raced before? Yes I have, but I've also grown up and realized how irresponsible it is, which is something you need to do before you hurt yourself and or others.

Guys I'm sorry if I am being a huge douche right now, but I lost some people I care about because of people driving like this guy says he does. I just get really fired up when I hear people talk about it and think it's cool and funny.

+1, new a girl in college who was broadsided and killed by two street racing ricers... sad stuff for sure :nonono:

I mean I can understand getting on your car here and there and maybe even running full throttle up to 90 mph on an empty stretch of highway, but 130+ mph in a mostly stock stang 3-4 times/month!!! That's just plain stupid.

I never said I wasnt stupid. I said I know its dangerous and I didnt get on here to be lectured like your my parents. I got on here to see what was wrong with my effin car. And when people watch, they are not on the side of the road. There is a wide open field thats at least half a mile... and its a few hundred feet off the road because of the ditches. Yes I know its still possible for a wrecked car to reach them, but guess what, its their choice to go watch and everyone knows the risk.

I have an 04 GT with 52xxx miles on it. Ive had it a little over a month. Its basically stock other than full bassanni exhaust without cats. I think it has also been tuned or had a programer on it. Ive had the car up to 140 a few times. Had no problems at all.

Problem... The other day I got the car to 120 in 4th which is where I shift out with 5500 rpm. I went into 5th and the car sounded like it was lugging out and just wouldnt go any faster.

Well today I was doing a test run and when I got to 4800 rpm in 4th it sounded like it was lugging out again and would not gain speed or rpm at all. I went into 5th and same thing.

Now just driving the car everything works fine. Nothing sounds messed up. No check engine light. I can even be running 70 in 5th and give it gas and go up to 100 without a problem.

So would could be causing this problem? I just had my rear end bearings replaced the other day and the car never done this before. Is there anyway something could have been messed up during this to cause the problem?

125+mph is what the troopers report said, its my brothers 00gt that he was killed in last october. so quit being a dumbass and drive like you got sense before you fall too man. come on:mad: heres some pics to maybe see that speed and street cars dont mix.

Attachments

• 2009 133.jpg
    2009 133.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 2009 145.jpg
    2009 145.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 126
I don't agree with the speed but regarding the issue.

Could it be the fact of the car hitting the top speed limiter. I thought I read somewhere that the 99+ mustangs are limited to about 130ish mph due to the factory tire rating from ford. I know the mustang oil pans are small capacities, only 5 quarts but I am pretty sure that a stock hp stang can't drain the pan due to it doesn't rev high enough. I read somewhere that people drain pans when they spin 7000+ rpms with stock pumps, unless the OP never checked his oil level and then I can't help with lack of maintenance.

I don't agree with the speed but regarding the issue.

Could it be the fact of the car hitting the top speed limiter. I thought I read somewhere that the 99+ mustangs are limited to about 130ish mph due to the factory tire rating from ford. I know the mustang oil pans are small capacities, only 5 quarts but I am pretty sure that a stock hp stang can't drain the pan due to it doesn't rev high enough. I read somewhere that people drain pans when they spin 7000+ rpms with stock pumps, unless the OP never checked his oil level and then I can't help with lack of maintenance.

6200 would be the rev limiter stock, 135 mph would be to speed stock speed. In 5th gear the car won't hit the rev limiter b/c it will hit the top governed speed before the car hit its rev limit.
O.p. do some diagnostic test.

Status
Not open for further replies.