Help!!! 'stang is misfiring....

Well yesterday my dad took my car to the store, and he said that on the way there it started misfiring, then by the time he got to the store it was running on like 2 cylinders, anyways I went to get my car and when I started it it sounded like it was running on like 4 cylinders, and I let it run a little and tried giving it some gas and nothing just like I didn't accelerate at all, and I tried again and it did rev it up put it misfired bad, but when it's at idle it ran perfectly fine, so I called my friend and we towed the car home, and since I could let it run at idle I did so that it was easier to brake, well I got home which is about 5 miles from where the car was, and I tried giving it some gas and it revved up perfectly fine, so I drove it around the neighborhood without a problem, so I took it out on a main RD and tried opening it up, it felt really slugish.....so this morning I was headed to a friends house and after about 4miles of driving, it started misfiring, so I got it home and when I rev it up and let the RPM drop to about 3k and try to rev it up again it just feels like I didn't even push the gas pedal in and like 3 sec later all of a sudden the RPM's go up........and I let it drop to 3k again and pushed the pedal to the floor and nothing happens for about 3sec and all of a sudden the RPM's go up again.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with it? and I might mention when I was changing my spark plugs about a week ago one of the plugs was almost completely melted.

Plese leave feedback a.s.a.p., since I need to get it running right....

Thanks

JT

• Sponsors (?)

Team801 said:
Does anyone know what could be wrong with it? and I might mention when I was changing my spark plugs about a week ago one of the plugs was almost completely melted.

Plese leave feedback a.s.a.p., since I need to get it running right....

Thanks

JT

:jaw: @ melted plugs. That sucks, I was going to say that you may have a vapor lock with your gas cap, but it sounds a little more serious now.

GTvert01 said:
:jaw: @ melted plugs. That sucks, I was going to say that you may have a vapor lock with your gas cap, but it sounds a little more serious now.

The reason for the melted plug was nitrous......the plug that I'm really worried about, is this one.......do you see the black burn mark on the plug and how it erroded, could this be due to a bad Coil?

Plug1.JPG

Plug3.JPG

Plug4.JPG

take it to autozone and see if it threw any codes, mine did something similar the other day and it was bad coil pack which caused it to miss fire on cylinder 4, put a new coil pack in (49.99 at autozone) and she runs perfect again. Codes should say missfire on cylinder #'s and possibly running rich in banks 1 and 2. Hope this helps.

Your calling the single coils, coil packs? Just curious cause my 96 has coil packs w/ 4 plug wires on each.
Your car would idle fine and misfire if you have a bad fuel pump too. Check your ignition first, then you might want to check and see if you have fuel pressure.

tooblue02 said:
take it to autozone and see if it threw any codes, mine did something similar the other day and it was bad coil pack which caused it to miss fire on cylinder 4, put a new coil pack in (49.99 at autozone) and she runs perfect again. Codes should say missfire on cylinder #'s and possibly running rich in banks 1 and 2. Hope this helps.
Now that really help me so much, I've been getting those 2 codes quite a bit lately!!! Thank you very much!!!

....and I want to thank everyone else that gave me some pointers. I will keep you guys updated.

LOL if you have Nitrious you can't not use the stock plugs. You'll keep melting them because they get to hot. You need some NGK plugs you can get them at auto zone as well. Buy those and put new wires in. Once you do that you are will be fine.

You coil packs should be fine. <Guessing> but do the NGK plugs/new wires.