Help! Talk me into keeping the Mustang

Osiris

I'm married to a crazy, Danish broad
Founding Member
Oct 29, 1999
San Antonio. TX
It turns out my Mustang is so 'effin hot my wife decided to have sex with me one day because I just waxed it and I ended up getting her pregnant.....

:D

Anyhow....Now that I have another kid on the way owning two two doors is posing a problem. I also drive 80 miles to work EACH WAY. I usually swap cars with the wife and take the much more economical SVTF but come time for Junior V 1.2 to be born she's going to need the bigger car. Mustang rear seats are little more than leather clad bad jokes, so something needs to change.

I LOVE the Mustang, but would parting ways with one be so bad? These cars are all over the damn place, and Ford will keep churning them out, so if I take a few years off am I really losing out?

I found a nice replacement, and the Mustang is easier to get out of ( almost a wash ), so it's the ideal candidate, but how do I leave my beloved?

The replacement is a Mazdaspeed 6. 278 HP, AWD, 4 doors, loaded to the hilt and really fun to drive. It won't smoke the 'stang ( yet, hehe ) but it won't have me feeling like I just sold my soul for a Kia either.....

But my ponycar side is telling me to keep it.....

What do you think?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

first off, congrats! :cheers:

i was gonna suggest a 'Speed 6, and since its the car you found, i say go for it. :D its a fun car for sure, but its the not the same as a stang. they look great, and 270+ hp is still fun. it will be more practical for the family. i am in the same situation as you--my first is due in august. i chose to keep the stang and deal with it.

no matter which way you go, it will be a good choice. cant go wrong with either car, IMO.

When my daughter was an infant, my wife had a new 1984 Firebird. Sure, you have the hassle with a car seat, but it will be a hassle no matter what. Then we did the mini-van thing. Finally, we got back to the Mustang. My daughter was really into Mustangs at one time.
Mustang is more than a car. It is a way of life.
Many familes have always used Mustangs.
I wish you the best no matter what you decide. But why not give the Mustang a chance as a family car? Many families have and do.

I say give it a go using the Mustang and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, then make the change. At least this way you won't have any regrets. This is coming from someone who is upside down in equity now just to get back in a daily driver Mustang.

Well, not sure if price is an issue, the the Magum with the hemi might do the trick for you or the charger. They are large but fast, though pricey... Wish ford would put out the Inceptor already!

Take it from me. A Magnum or Charger is no replacement for a Mustang. They have no aftermarket performance support and they have terrible throttle lag. They're nice cars, don't get me wrong. But as much as I liked my Magnum, I found myself wishing I had a Mustang every day.

It isn't so much the hassle of having a car seat in the back for MY sake, its my wife's, whom already has a real back problem, and she would probably spend most of the time with the newer car or the SVTF, which leaves me to driving the Mustang 160 miles a day and then having to rely on that Focus if the poop hits the fan. My other child is now 11 and already has issues fitting into the back of the Mustang leaving the Mustang the car least used. What fun is that?

I sold my turbo Miata to get the Mustang because ( aside from my love of Mustangs ) I needed back seats. Now, I need a 4 door family car that gets decent mileage yet still a blast to drive.

I do have a couple months I guess, but there are other things to consider...

First off, the insurance is MUCH lower, so costs will go down. The car is nearly new with about 31,000 less miles, meaning a nearly full warranty. I've always been partial to 4 door sports sedans ( big time SHO fan, actually ), so getting into one makes sense.

And you're right, Stan. Mustangs are a way of life...One that doesn't end even if you have to put off having one for a while.

This '05 is my 6th, and it sure won't be my last.....

At least consider the Fusion. It is highly rated, reasonably priced and if I didn't love Mustangs so much, I would buy one. You can also get more for the money than a Mustang, expect perhaps for performance. $29,000 would buy you all wheel drive and everything you can get on a Fusion. At least it's a Ford.

At least consider the Fusion. It is highly rated, reasonably priced and if I didn't love Mustangs so much, I would buy one. You can also get more for the money than a Mustang, expect perhaps for performance. $29,000 would buy you all wheel drive and everything you can get on a Fusion. At least it's a Ford.

You do know that Ford controls 35% of Mazda and considers Mazda to be a part of the Ford family, right?

The Fusion is a re-bodied Mazda 6.....

Now if the Fusion came with 270+ all-wheel driven turbocharged horsepower I'd be in one too.... ;)

But for now I guess I'll have to settle for their Asian counterpart....

The insurance drops approx $240 over 6 months going to the MS6 versus the Mustang. I simply won't consider a Dodge unless it has SRT-8 somewhere on it, and 16 mpg is just not going to cut it when I drive 160 miles per day.

If I do this, I'll be giving up a fully-loaded '05 GT Auto with 34K mi for a fully-loaded '06 6 speed manual with 3,500 miles, Nav is the only option it doesn't have, but it does have full white with black leather, Bose system, Xenons, Advance-Key ( doesn't use a key per se, just this little credit card-looking thing that allows the car to start when the 'key' is near ), moon roof, automatic climate control, heated seats, etc.

It also runs a 14 flat and gets to 60 in 5.4 seconds on the stock 17 psi. Imagine what I could do with just a couple minor tweaks....

All for 22 grand.

:shrug:

no way with the mazda 6

No disrespect to the Mazda, but keep the stang, get a better paying job and buy the wife a much bigger car. I've got three kids and it plays out just right. If i want to take the kids somewhere in the stang, i don't have to take my wife. Its beautiful.

Or even better yet, buy the wife a smaller car like the mazda 3 and keep the stang. Then whenever you have to go somewhere she can take the kids with her and you get to follow in the stang. Problem Solved:nice: :nice:

I’m guessing a Convertible 07 - 08 GT has been considered...?

I’m 44 and back when my little one was in and out of the GTA Fastback I always wondered how throwing the front seat forward with the top down would be. I’ve always been a hard top guy though and it’s because there’s weather to take into consideration... existing back problems... there’s that little insurance thing... and mileage... gas prices...

...come on gang a drop top will work... help me keep him in a stang!

MS6... now that’s a nice choice

Well, if you wait a few years for your next Mustang it will be 7 years till your first child turns 18, which might be the next opportunity to get one - unless you keep waxing cars!

But seriously, I always hear the equation (baby = zero mustang). The back seat is not so bad. Better than fox body. I fit no problemo. If you have a manual passenger seat is not so difficult to pull forward if you sit in it and pull forward. The otherway is to stand spreadeagle, lift up the lever, push forward on the headrest and voila' (I have back problems too) She will also have to find end parking spots to swing that door open.

I would suggest finding some way of getting the Mustang to work. Are you going to be out alot of money when you trade cars? and how does that compare to the gas that you use?

A Taurus SHO is a great car but its a sidewinder and needs things like cam welds to keep the engine from blowing up. Plus the tranny is from a standard Taurus = transmission problems. You also can't replace the stock sound systm. They can be TPIA (total pain in the a55)

Am I off the mark by suggesting trading the SVTF for a Honda CRV? I've always personally liked them and you can beat the heck out of them and they refuse to die. They are, however, gutless wonders. Is gas a $$$ issue if you drive the Mustang to work daiily?

Just a few thoughts.

I had my kids in a Camaro Z28 without problems. The Mustang is a bit tighter in the back and the shape of the seats is stupid so baby seats are actually quite difficult to get in (indeed, I have a Britax seat that just won't go in).

Whatever you decide, let me tell you that the Mazda is no replacement for the Mustang, it's just a Mazda. I have a Mazda 5 as well as my Mustang and believe me, it's a great car but I'd kill myself if it was all I had to drive. I know the 6 is more powerful and AWD but it's only had lukewarm reviews over here in the UK.

What about the Mazda RX8? 4 doors, rotary engine and a little more space. Fantastic driving and handling reviews. Still no Mustang though.

If you find a decent replacement and it makes sense both physicaly and financialy...go for it. Years ago i was faced with a similar choice. I ended up selling my '00 GT(was 3 years old and only had 27K miles on her)to go towards a new house. I figured, I can get another Stang down the road and the house deal was much more important. Well, some 3 years later and not only did I get another Mustang, but it was a brand new one as well:D

P.S. If the wife's not happy, more than likely you're not as well...

is a STI of any consideration? The speed 6 is pretty nice lookin car though but I couldnt see gettin rid of the stang for it. If i were you I would buy an older diesel jetta or something cheap and then insure the mustang as an "extra" vehicle the insurance will probably go down considerably ours the insurance on my mustang is less than my truck that way.

Some answers to some questions...

I can't get out of the SVTF because we're too flipped in it right now. Besides, I actually love that little thing.

I'm less than a grand flipped in the Mustang.

Now, my current situation calls for me having to drive a lot for work. That may change one day, but for now this is how it is. I usually take the SVTF to work since I'll average about 29 mpg. The wife will not be able ( nor does she want to ) take the Mustang after the baby's born. I've thought about a third car but I don't want to take on the extra expense when I have a child coming, so whatever I do must either replace the Mustang or do nothing at all.

'get a better paying job' doesn't just happen....besides, I've got a great gig right now aside from the drive.

My more rational side it telling me that getting something more practical makes sense for many reasons, and thank you dawgz, your point is exactly how I feel. My thinking was to get this 4 door now and get out of the SVTF a few years from now for another Pony. Aren't the '09's coming with more power?

In the 17 years I've been driving I've owned well over 25 cars. The longest I've ever kept one is about a year and a half. I owned my last SHO for longer but it was a third car itself.

And another thought....I could always do this and buy a little fox a couple years down the line....

Now, the MS6 is a great car. I had a Mazdaspeed Miata before the Mustang and LOVED it. I'm a big Mazda fan for many reasons, and I've taken the MS6 through its paces. The thing can perform alright. I wouldn't go for an RX-8 because they get worse mileage than a Mustang does, even with that little 1.3 liter!! Yes, they can flippin' handle though. And I did see that Top Gear episode where they didn't like the MPS because of the way it looked even though it was keeping up with the RX8 and 350Z on the track....

STi? More money, more to insure ( than even the Mustang ). I also don't like having a wing the size of Texas bolted to the trunk of my car either.

Most importantly here, doing this LOWERS my expense when it comes to cars.

I know this is a sacrifice of sorts, but is it a worthwhile sacrifice?

KEEP THE STANG!!!!!!!! I needed a daily driver as well so I went out and purchased a Nissan Versa 4 door hatchback. That thing is loaded with space. It's not the most manly car out there, but it sits high, gets great MPG's, and is very roomy. I have a kid on the way as well, my first.

Congrat's on the second child.

Apex