HELP: ticket for loud exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

66fstbk88

Jun 17, 2008
I live in northern california and was pulled over in my 66 fastback twice in 2 weeks:mad:, both for "loud exhaust". Both times they popd the hood and did a quick examination.
1st time the cop was saying that i need a box of some sort over my air filter. is this true? he then askd if i had any stickers showing that my parts were street legal, which i dont. Wrote me up a ticket saying i have to go to the state ref. so they can examine my whole car and tell me what i have to change to get it street legal (this ticket only says loud exhaust)
2nd time was at nite and i was going about 60 in a 45, the officer was going the oppisite way and i seen her so i let it roll to the speed limit before she even got behind me. when she came up to my window she kept asking how fast i was going so i know she didnt know exactly how fast so i kept saying im not sure but she still wrote 60+ in a 45 zone (i dont think she has any proof). She also examined my car and was complaining about my side pipes and same thing with my air filter. (this ticket says 60+ in 45 and loud exhaust)
i have alot of stuff done to my car but i didnt know i can get tickets because i was always under the impression that cars that made before the smog law were exempt.
i have a 351w afr heads, edelbrock intake, holley 750 carb, msd, tcp rack&pinion, tcp uca&lca, 9" posi, shorty headers, dynomax full exhaust. is stuff like this illegal on streets. should i fight the tickets?

• Sponsors (?)

I've never known anyone to get a ticket for loud exhaust unless they were running open headers or straight pipes. Even then, they just got a warning about it. I know California is worse than the rest of the country for stuff like this, but it sounds like a crock to me.

When they say box over the air filter they probably mean the stock closed air cleaner. The open element ones should be legal. Some of the Mustangs even came with them didn't they? The side pipes should be legal. All that matters is that it exits past the passenger compartment. What do you have for an exhaust system? Do you have actual mufflers? I can't believe they are that concerned about it being loud. Also, the older cars were louder because they don't have cats. You should make sure they are aware of that. How can they write a ticket for 60+? Don't they have to put the actual clocked speed on the ticket?

thats craziest thing I ever heared, I live in Cali, all the harleys on the road here and many with straight pipes and they never get pulled over, even those new dodge trucks and cars with hemis are extremely loud with flowmasters.

I think that cop is jealous or probably one of those environmentalist wackos who thinks we should all drive electric cars........I bet he or probably she was wearing green....they dont bother us down here in So Cal.

Just do the test. That's one decent thing of the CA exhaust law, it's no longer the cop's word vs. yours, unlike many other states that will ticket you just because the exhaust sounds louder than stock and you have no way to fight it. If it exceeds 95db then fix it. Your combo doesn't look like it should trip over the limit. The 95db limit is in place to find obviously damaged systems such as broken pipes before the muffler and/or converter. Even a straight-pipe full exhaust system should be below test limits.

You were profiled for other reasons. One is obviously speeding but you can have that thrown out if there's no radar and it was a guessed speed based on her driving the opposite direction. Plead "no contest" and explain the circumstances.

I know the law for exahust is XX dB from so many feet away.

I dont know what makes these cops car experts or smog police nor do they have the right to look under the hood.They dont know what their looking at but becuase of the whole import scene, they are cracking down on anything non stock and we the people dont fight it.I would suggest calling SEMA and seeing if they know anything about loopholes or laws.

Just do the test. That's one decent thing of the CA exhaust law, it's no longer the cop's word vs. yours, unlike many other states that will ticket you just because the exhaust sounds louder than stock and you have no way to fight it.

Just to be clear, CA has effectively REMOVED you ability to fight a ticket for pipes too loud. Instead of having a law strictly enforced by a trained officer, who could write you a ticket and then you go to court and provide evidence that you are in compliance and the ticket is invalidated, the officer now only has to suspect your pipes are too loud and you have to drive to a CA sponsored location and pay your fine in the form of a fee for the test and then still drive to court to present evidence that you weren't too loud to begin with.

66fstbk, we don't really see any ticketing like that in Oaktown - there are too many loud Harleys and boom cars around here, and the cops are spread too thin as it is. Make the move . . . and your exhaust can be as loud as you want. ;-)

I'll bet part of his problem is his age. He can try takin it to court, but I'd bet there's a slim and none chance he'll beat any of it. Pay the fines and put a quieter exhaust on the car and be more careful about how and where you decide to feed her the oats. Loud exhaust only gets you more tickets. That old belief about "if it sounds louder, it must be faster", so by that reason any cop's going to assume you're exceeding the speed limit even when you're not.. That's only an invitation to pull you over and check out your car. I've got a loud exhaust on my Comet and I've had a few close calls with the cops with it. Fortunately, around here, they're more inclined to "let boys be boys" and if you do get stopped while doing nothing wrong, it's more likely he just wants to oggle the car, not harass you.

F that. Fight it, prove it's not loud. Then wave it in the face of the next cop that tries to say it's too loud. Smog does not apply to you AT ALL. As long as it's not running around twon smoking out the tail pipes, your good. They are so confused. You don't need CARB sticker for that car.

smog does apply. It must have the ford issued smog equipment. He opened a can of worms by opening his hood. From what I went through when I bought my 68 that was a closed PVC system. I don't remember for sure but I would file a complaint with IA if your under the decibels then contact an attorney to try to collect your fees and possible harassment reimbursements.

I do know you can change the registration to vintage and then you can do what ever you want, because its considered a show car. The downside it limits where you can drive.

HA! here in MN I had a State trooper help me radar my car to see how fast its going vs. reading... and then he told me to open it up and see how fast it could go!! :D

that does seem rather stupid. I would DEFINATELY go get the test done, b/c then not only can you fight it, but you can use proof that THEY provided to stick your case.

good luck man, we're all pullin for ya.

This is a great "Darwin" award post!

IAW state and federal law, you are not allowed to tamper, modify or remove emissions equipment, which if pushed, includes the exhaust system. If your car has a California DSO you need to have a Thermactor system along with a closed PCV system. If your car is an A,C, or T code you need a closed air cleaner.

You screwed youself by driving like an idiot. Too bad for you. Slow down and show consideration for your fellow citizens, and the cops won't mess with you. Continue to drive like a moron and they can impound your car, and arrest you for wreckless driving.
Problem is, you F it up for other enthusiasts by being stupid (which is why I'm being so harsh).
Shame on you! Grow up and show some responsibility. It's not hard in Northern California to get outside the city limits. Consider yourself very lucky. 60+ means they are giving you a chance to get your act together. Somehow I doubt that will happen.

IAW state and federal law, you are not allowed to tamper, modify or remove emissions equipment, which if pushed, includes the exhaust system. If your car has a California DSO you need to have a Thermactor system along with a closed PCV system. If your car is an A,C, or T code you need a closed air cleaner.

You screwed youself by driving like an idiot. Too bad for you. Slow down and show consideration for your fellow citizens, and the cops won't mess with you. Continue to drive like a moron and they can impound your car, and arrest you for wreckless driving.
Problem is, you F it up for other enthusiasts by being stupid (which is why I'm being so harsh).
Shame on you! Grow up and show some responsibility. It's not hard in Northern California to get outside the city limits. Consider yourself very lucky. 60+ means they are giving you a chance to get your act together. Somehow I doubt that will happen.

Well, with a attitude like that, ill make sure i do a burn out and maybe find a streetrace tonight in your honor! Calm down dick, its not that big of a deal. And if your that worried about it, you can go buy a prius, then you wont have to worry about anything. Hell, ill even let you hug my bonsi tree.. or your always welcome >:canada:

god, you make it sound like you've never driven over the speed limit. I hope some day we all can grow up to be just like you. You rock!

Since were all off topic, I think you guys need to calm down and not take shots at each other, acting like children. If you are driving more than 10 mph over the speed limit your asking to be pulled over, especially on the streets. If your car is under the 95 db then fight it or install a quieter muffler(either way). If you don't like that option then MOVE. Dont sue the city because of your stupidity for going over the speed limit because they are doing their job and that money you earn will take away from them spending it on education and other important things. If you dont like having smog equipment on your car now wait till 20 years from now. Most environmental people are targeting older vehicles for most of the pollution.

YOU know what, your full of it. Day after day government takes another piece of what we as a nation enjoy. And just because someone doesnt like it, im supposed to roll over and take it. BS! I can put a cold air intake on a car. It will ad a couple horse power, improve gas milage and make the engine run better. BUT, because some F'in moron say's, it needs a carb sticker, you get a $500 fine!!! ARE YOU F'in kidding me!!! but you have those people that say.. oh ummm.. sir ... umm. you cant fight it.. umm... because...ummm its wrong for you to do it.... Geez, i sound like ummm.. obama...ummmm... OH, and like wild 70 stang says, get a ticket for education!!! Myself and a couple of my friends have been burned by cops, and i will fight them to the bitter end if they are wrong. However, if your rolling down the street on open headers, i get that, its loud, and you shouldnt do it. But if i dont have a air box around my filter, ill get a ticket.. suck my balls!

Status
Not open for further replies.