Help! Turns Over No Crank Msd, Pcv, Vortech...

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
Last nite I was looking at the pcv stuff and I noticed the grommet to the pcv valve was loose fitting into the intake so I put some thread tape on it and then it fit snug. I started it this morning but just let it idle and all was well. So this evening I was going to dynamat the trunk so removed the carpet and such. It was getting dark so I was going to move it into the garage, no start. I looked and noticed that the timing retard controller came disconnected from the msd box that is located in the trunk. I put the male connectors back in the female, no start. I end up splicing the wires directly w out the connector thinking it wasn't getting a good connection and still no start. I checked all other msd wiring and all are connected and still no start. Well now I see puddles of oil on the driveway I think it's coming out of the dipstick but not 100%. The only variables since yesterday are I put thread tape on pcv grommet and was good and tight in the intake. (it started this a.m.and idled and all of the tape is still on grommet) and I removed the carpet from the trunk where the msd box is located and the boost retard control came unhooked. I think all of the ignition is hooked up and it's now shooting out oil, turns over but no crank. It hasn't been driven since there was a good seal on pcv grommet but it idled.

• Sponsors (?)

Ps: this sucks real bad. I took vacation and I have a dyno appointment on Tuesday that I scheduled like 5 months ago. Sept 16 was the soonest they could take me so now I'm screwed.... I can't even get it there. KOEO came up 000

Last edited:
Cranks OK, but No Start Checklist for Fuel Injected 5.0 Mustangs model years 1986-1995

A word about this checklist before you start: it is arranged in a specific order to put the most likely failure items first. That will save you time, energy and money. Start at the top of the list and work your way down. Jumping around will possibly cause you to miss just what you need to see to find and fix the problem. Don’t skip any steps because the next step depends on the last step working correctly.

Revised 16-Sep-2014 to add instructions on how to jumper the starter solenoid to crank the engine.

All text applies to all models unless stated otherwise.

Note: 94-95 specific changes are in red

1.) Remove push on connector (small red/blue wire) from starter solenoid and turn ignition switch to the Run position. Place car in neutral or Park and set the parking brake. Remove the coil wire from the distributor.Stick a screwdriver blade in the coil wire socket so that it is in good contact with the metal clip. Position the screwdriver shank so that it is 3/8" from the engine block and will not move when you crank the engine.

starter-solenoid-wiring-with-test-jumper-gif.88327

Use a screwdriver to jumper the connections on the starter solenoid.

You should get a nice fat blue spark from the screwdriver shaft stuck into the coil wire when the engine is cranking.

Most of the items are electrical in nature, so a test light, or even better, a voltmeter, is helpful to be sure they have power to them.

No spark, possible failed items in order of their probability:
A.) MSD or Crane ignition box if so equipped. Bypass it and return to stock configuration if possible. Do this as a temporary measure to eliminate it as a possible problem source.
B.) PIP sensor in distributor. The PIP sensor supplies the timing pulse to trigger the TFI and injectors. A failing PIP sensor will sometimes let the engine start if the SPOUT is removed. See paragraph 5A – Using a noid light will tell if the PIP is working by flashing when the engine is cranking.
C.) TFI module: use a test light to check the TFI module. Place one lead of the test light on the red/green wire on the ignition coil connector and the other lead on the dark green/yellow wire on the ignition coil connector. If the TFI is working properly, the test light will flash when the engine is cranked using the ignition switch.
D.) Coil
E.) No EEC or computer power - EEC or computer relay failure
86-93 models only: EEC relay next to computer - look for 12 volts at the fuel injector red wires.
94-95 models only: EEC or PCM power relay in the constant control relay module. Look for 12 volts at the fuel injector red wires.
Both 86-93 and 94-95 models: No 12 volts with the ignition switch in the run position on the fuel injector red wires. The relay has failed or there is no power coming from the ignition switch. Make sure that there is 12 volts on the red/green wire on the coil before replacing the relay.
F.) No EEC or computer power - fuse or fuse link failure
86-93 models only: Fuse links in wiring harness - look for 12 volts at the fuel injector red wires. All the fuse links live in a bundle up near the starter solenoid. Look for a 20 gauge blue fuse link connected to 2 black/orange 14 gauge wires.
94-95 models only: 20 amp EEC fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. Look for 12 volts at the fuel injector red wires.
G.) Ignition switch - look for 12 volts at the ignition coil red/lt green wire. No 12 volts, blown fuse link or faulty ignition switch. Remove the plastic from around the ignition switch and look for 12 volts on the red/green wire on the ignition switch with it in the Run position. No 12 volts and the ignition switch is faulty. If 12 volts is present in the Run position at the ignition switch but not at the coil, then the fuse or fuse link is blown.
Note: fuses or fuse links blow for a reason. Don’t replace either a fuse or fuse link with one with a larger rating than stock. Doing so invites an electrical fire.
Ignition fuse links may be replaced with an inline fuse holder and 5 amp fuse for troubleshooting purposes.
94-95 models only: Check inside fuse panel for fuse #18 blown – 20 amp fuse
H.) Missing or loose computer power ground. The computer has its own dedicated power ground that comes off the ground pigtail on the battery ground wire. Due to it's proximity to the battery, it may become corroded by acid fumes from the battery.
In 86-90 model cars, it is a black cylinder about 2 1/2" long by 1" diameter with a black/lt green wire.
In 91-95 model cars it is a black cylinder about 2 1/2" long by 1" diameter with a black/white wire.
You'll find it up next to the starter solenoid where the wire goes into the wiring harness
I.) Computer. Don’t replace the computer just because you don’t understand how it works. Computers seldom fail, it usually is a sensor or wiring problem that causes the problems.
J.) Bad or missing secondary power ground. It is located between the back of the intake manifold and the driver's side firewall. It supplies ground for the alternator, A/C compressor clutch and other electrical accessories such as the gauges.
K.) Engine fires briefly, but dies immediately when the key is released to the Run position. Crank the engine & when it fires off, pull the small push on connector (red/blue wire) off the starter relay (Looks like it is stuck on a screw). Hold the switch in the crank position: if it continues to run there is a problem with either the ignition switch or TFI module. Check for 12 volts at the red/green wire on the coil with the switch in the Run position. Good 12 volts, then replace the TFI. No 12 volts, replace the ignition switch.

Wiring Diagrams:

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring Mustang FAQ - Engine Information Everyone should bookmark this site.

Ignition switch wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

Fuel, alternator, A/C and ignition wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 88-91 Mass Air Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 91-93 Mass Air Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/91-93_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 94-95 Mass Air Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/94-95_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

AutoZone wiring diagrams: You can navigate to the diagrams yourself via Repair Info | AutoZone.com and select the car year, make, model and engine. That will enable you to bring up the wiring diagram for your particular car.

2.) Spark at coil wire, pull #1 plug wire off at the spark plug and check to see spark. No spark, possible failed items in order of their probability: [/b]
A.) Moisture inside distributor – remove cap, dry off & spray with WD40
B.) Distributor cap
C.) Rotor
D.) Spark Plug wires
E.) Coil weak or intermittent - you should see 3/8" fat blue spark with a good coil

3.) Spark at spark plug, but no start.
Next, get a can of starting fluid (ether) from your local auto parts store: costs a $1.30 or so. Then pull the air duct off at the throttle body elbow, open the throttle, and spray the ether in it. Reconnect the air duct and try to start the car. Do not try to start the car without reconnecting the air duct.

Two reasons:
1.) If it backfires, the chance for a serious fire is increased.
2.) On Mass Air cars, the computer needs to measure the MAF flow once the engine starts.
If it starts then, you have a fuel management issue. Continue the checklist with emphasis of fuel related items that follow. If it doesn’t, then it is a computer or timing issue: see Step 4.

Clue – listen for the fuel pump to prime when you first turn the ignition switch on. It should run for 2-4 seconds and shut off. To trick the fuel pump into running, find the EEC test connector and jump the connector in the Upper RH corner to ground. The EEC connector is near the wiper motor and LH hood hinge.

attachment.php

If the relay & inertia switch are OK, you will have power to the pump. Check fuel pressure – remove the cap from the Schrader valve behind the alternator and depress the core. Fuel should squirt out, catch it in a rag. Beware of fire hazard when you do this. In a pinch, you can use a tire pressure gauge to measure the fuel pressure. It may not be completely accurate, but you will have some clue as to how much pressure you have. If you have any doubts about having sufficient fuel flow/pressure, rent a fuel pressure test gauge from the auto parts store. That will tell you for sure if you have adequate fuel pressure.

4.) No fuel pressure, possible failed items in order of their probability:
A.) Tripped inertia switch – Coupe & hatch cars hide it under the plastic trim covering the driver's side taillight. Use the voltmeter or test light to make sure you have power to both sides of the switch
B.) Fuel pump power relay – located under the driver’s seat in most stangs built before 92. On 92 and later model cars it is located below the Mass Air Flow meter. Look for 12 volts at the Pink/Black wire on the fuel pump relay.
C.) Clogged fuel filter
D.) Failed fuel pump
E.) 86-90 models only: Blown fuse link in wiring harness. Look for 12 volts at the Orange/Lt Blue wire on the fuel pump relay.
91-93 models only Blown fuse link in wiring harness. Look for 12 volts at the Pink/Black wire on the fuel pump relay.
The fuse links for all model years 86-93 live in the wiring harness near the starter solenoid.
94-95 models only: 20 amp fuel pump fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. Look for 12 volts at the Dark green/yellow wire on the constant control relay module.
F.) Engine seem to load up on fuel and may have black smoke at the tailpipe. Fuel pressure regulator failed. Remove the vacuum line from the regulator and inspect for fuel escaping while the pump is running. If fuel is coming out the vacuum port, the regulator has failed. Check the regulator vacuum line for fuel too. Disconnect it from the engine and blow air though it. If you find gas, the regulator has failed.

5.) Fuel pressure OK, the injectors are not firing.
A.) The PIP sensor in the distributor tells the computer when to fire the injectors. A failing PIP sensor will sometimes let the engine start if the SPOUT is removed.
A noid light available from any auto parts store, is one way to test the injector circuit to see if the injectors are firing. The noid light plugs into the fuel injector harness in place of any easily accessible injector. Plug it in and try to start the engine: it will flash if the injector is firing.

I like to use an old injector with compressed air applied to the injector where the fuel rail would normally connect. I hook the whole thing up, apply compressed air to the injector and stick it in a paper cup of soapy water. When the engine cranks with the ignition switch on, if the injector fires, it makes bubbles. Cheap if you have the stuff laying around, and works good too.
B.) Pull an injector wire connector off and look for 12 volts on the red wire when the ignition switch is on.
C.) No power, then look for problems with the 10 pin connecter (salt & pepper shakers at the rear of the upper manifold).

See the graphic for the 10 pin connector circuit layout.
salt-pepper-10-pin-connectors-65-jpg.68512

The injector power pin is the VPWR pin in the black 10 pin connector.

D.) No power and the 10 pin connections are good: look for broken wiring between the orange/black wire on the EEC relay and the red wire for the 10 pin connectors.
E.) TPS voltage exceeds 3.7 volts with the throttle closed. This will shut off the injectors, since the computer uses this strategy to clear a flooded engine. Use a DVM, a pair of safety pins, and probe the black/white and green wires to measure the TPS voltage.
On a 94-95 Mustang, probe the black/white and grey/white wires to measure the TPS voltage.
It should be .5-.1.0 volts with the key on, engine not running. Note that if the black/white wire (signal ground) has a bad connection, you will get some strange readings. Make a second measurement using the battery post as the ground to eliminate any ground problems. If the readings are different by more than 5%, you may have a high resistance condition in the black/white signal ground circuit.

6.) Spark & fuel pressure OK.
A.) Failed IAB or improperly set base idle (no airflow to start engine). Press the throttle ¼ way down and try to start the car. See the "Surging Idle Checklist for help with all your idle/stall problems.
B.) Failed computer (not very likely)
C.) Engine ignition or cam timing off: only likely if the engine has been worked on recently. If you removed the distributor, there is a good probability that you installed it 180 degrees out of time.
D.) Firing order off: HO & 351 use a different firing order from the non HO engines.
HO & 351W 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Non HO 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
E.) No start when hot - Press the throttle to the floor & try starting it if you get this far. If it starts, replace the ECT.
F. ) Engine that has had the heads off or valves adjusted. Do a compression test to make sure the valves are not adjusted too tight. You should have a minimum of 90 PSI on a cold engine.

Last edited:
Are many of the components in your trunk fused? If you pulled something loose, there is a good chance you shorted it and blew a fuse. Can you bypass the MSD all together just to rule it out?

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
Oil squirting out check list

My impression was that you had a cranks OK, but no start condition. If that is not the problem, then please disregard my first post.

Oil squirting out the dipstick tube can be too much oil in the pan. The dipstick readings are pure fantasy, they are WAAAY high. How do I know this? I did an oil change and put it the 5 quarts the service manual said to use and noted that the level was way below the full mark. If your supercharger installation has an oil feed and return, it may have had a full oil charge when it was installed or too much oil was added after its installation.

The possible sources of pressure in the crankcase can be due to a blown head gasket, cracked piston, bad rings, or your crankcase ventilation system isn't working. When you pressurize the crankcase, oil leaks will start popping up in odd places.

Checklist: Since I can't be there to see what is happening and I don't know what you have done or haven't done, you get the checklist.
I suggest that you look closely at the first step of the checklist as the most likely problem area, the first item of the checklist as being the culprit. If you find that you do have spark at the spark plugs, proceed on to the next step.

Last edited:
OIL SQUIRTING OUT CHECKLIST:
#1. Look at floor under vehicle to determine that there is in fact a puddle under car.
#2. Go to drawer in kitchen, retrieve (1) small led flash light used for power outtages.
#3. Reach into upper cabinet and grub around until you find the box that has the three triple A batteries that are now dead in the LED flashlight because it was left in the on position, in the drawer.
#4. Go back into garage w/ working LED flashlight, get back on knees, and look under vehicle to determine leak proximity.
#5. Start vehicle.
#6. Turn on LED flashlight, and point it at suspected area of leakage.
#7. Test is complete when flashlight confirmation of oil spewing out of engine has been verified.
#8. Turn off car.
#9. Go back inside.

Reactions: 3 users
My impression was that you had a cranks OK, but no start condition. If that is not the problem, then please disregard my first post.

Oil squirting out the dipstick tube can be too much oil in the pan. The dipstick readings are pure fantasy, they are WAAAY high. How do I know this? I did an oil change and put it the 5 quarts the service manual said to use and noted that the level was way below the full mark. If your supercharger installation has an oil feed and return, it may have had a full oil charge when it was installed or too much oil was added after its installation.

The possible sources of pressure in the crankcase can be due to a blown head gasket, cracked piston, bad rings, or your crankcase ventilation system isn't working. When you pressurize the crankcase, oil leaks will start popping up in odd places.

Checklist: Since I can't be there to see what is happening and I don't know what you have done or haven't done, you get the checklist.
I suggest that you look closely at the first step of the checklist as the most likely problem area, the first item of the checklist as being the culprit. If you find that you do have spark at the spark plugs, proceed on to the next step.
I'm going to go through the checklist but I'm wondering if the oil all over the place and no start condition are related. Yesterday it started and there wasn't oil everywhere.(wasnt drive ) now it doesn't start and there's oil everywhere, the oil seemed to appear trying to turn it over? Related or coincidence? Like after making the pcv grommet good and did oil get in somewhere it shouldn't (intake etc) and now it won't start?

Hey J, I'm having trouble understanding "Remove the coil wire from distributor & and hold it 3/8” away from the engine block, jumper the screw to the big bolt on the starter solenoid that has the battery wire connected to it" I have the push connector off of the starter solenoid and the coil wire off off the distributor. How do Jumper the screw to the big bolt on the starter solenoid that has the battery wire connected to it and how do I hold the coil wire which is under the hood while I'm underneath the car jumpering the screw to the big bolt on starter?

If you cranked on the steering wheel with the car off, it will puke steering fluid.

There is a procedure to self yet the msd, but what I was referring to was unhooking it from your coil wires and just use the stock coil wires to peer the coil.

Joe