Help w/TR-3650 Fill Capacity

GotMustangs

May 11, 2003
Tacoma, WA
I decided to change my transmission fluid tonight, but it seems to be taking more fluid than both Tremec and Ford say. The TR-3650 service manual and my car's owner's manual both say that it holds 3.8L (4.0 Qts). I bought 5 just in case. As of now, I have about 4.5 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in it so far, but it's still not up to the bottom of the fill hole. The car is on jackstands at all 4 corners and is level (I even measured front and rear - I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my car :D ). I really don't want to overfill it, so is this normal? How much does everyone else's tranny hold? Please help, my poor car hasn't been driven in like a week :nonono: . Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

fr96ss said:
3.2L or 3.4 quarts 4.5 is way too much.. Go to a marine supply and buy a small quart pump and just pump in the 3.4 quarts.

I have a quart pump, but 3.4 quarts is wrong. I'm definitley not going to put LESS fluid in it than both Ford and Tremec say. I guess I'll have to drain a little out. Anybody else have this happen to them?

I had the same thing happen. Leveled the car exactly and my tranny took 5 quarts to get to the fill hole. I called Tremec and told them, they said to put in 3.2L not quarts of Havoline Dexron 3 fluid in. They recommended no synthetic. The guy also mentioned that they were going to lower the fill hole on the new 3650's so that they don't hold so much fluid.

There's a thread floating around that somebody said they called Mobil and asked if Mobil 1 synthetic ATF was OK to use in the 3650. Believe it or not Mobil doesn't recommend it. Ford labels their synthetic fluid Mercon V, which can be a bit confusing. If the manual says Mercon V, it’s calling for the synthetic fluid; if the name is Mercon without the V, that’s the regular Dexron III/Mercon ATF.

02GT Owner’s Guide calls for 3 types of fluid depending on the transmission and engine type.

Motorcraft MERCRON V ATF for automatic’s in both V6 and V8s.
Motorcraft MERCRON ATF for manual’s with V6s
Synthetic MERCRON ATF for manual’s with V8s

-Cale

281Ponies said:
02GT Owner’s Guide calls for 3 types of fluid depending on the transmission and engine type.

Motorcraft MERCRON V ATF for automatic’s in both V6 and V8s.
Motorcraft MERCRON ATF for manual’s with V6s
Synthetic MERCRON ATF for manual’s with V8s

-Cale

That may be what Ford says but Tremec who actually made the transmission says

TR-3650/T-45/T-5 - Dextron III

LByellowStang said:
That may be what Ford says but Tremec who actually made the transmission says

TR-3650/T-45/T-5 - Dextron III
I don’t disagree. However someone said the V calls for synthetic fluid and without the V calls for regular fluid. V is synthetic fluid for automatic's according to the guide, while synthetic fluid without a V is called for in manual’s as well.
Just trying to help point out the confusion that was also mentioned in the post. :)

-Cale

281Ponies said:
I don’t disagree. However someone said the V calls for synthetic fluid and without the V calls for regular fluid. V is synthetic fluid for automatic's according to the guide, while synthetic fluid without a V is called for in manual’s as well.
Just trying to help point out the confusion that was also mentioned in the post. :)

-Cale

Mercon-V is a semi-synthetic formulation (or Group III synthetic). I heard rumors that Ford is discontinuing the Mercon specification and replacing it with Mercon-V. At this point, most ATFs that meet Mercon-V are also labeled as being suitable for use in appllications requiring Mercon.

I am using Mobil 1 ATF in my 4R70W, as it is now labeled to meet/exceed Mercon-V specifications. However, I have started to notice ATF dribbling from the front input shaft seal. The only explanation I can come up with is that the Mobil 1 ATF is a lot thinner than the Castrol Mercon-V semi-synthetic I had been using.

So what is the recommended ATF for the S197 TR-3650s? Any regular non-synthetic Dexron-III/Mercon? GM now uses Dexron-VI in some of its applications, which will probably add to the confusiong. Wasn't there a Dexron-IIIH as well?