HELP! whats causing this!?

Mar 31, 2005
what is making my car turning over more and more before it fires?? i have gone through several tanks of gas and cold starts are getting worse. In addition, if i dont let my car sit for a minute before i start driving it, it seems to have no power recently below about 1500 rpms... when letting the clutch out it doesnt like the low rpms at all and it will buck until it revs over 1500 rpms. are these related, and what could be causing this? I've been meaning to clean out the IAC... possibly wednesday and im borrowing my buddys fuel pressure gauge soon to check upper rpm detonation ive had FOREVER! does this point to a bad fuel pump/system? ill be on preiodically for the next couple days to answer questions, hopefully ican have a good list of things to check so i can fix this once and for all within a short period of time with no car down time. thanks, Kyle

• Sponsors (?)

i meant to include that in the first post... it does prime... and i let it do that every time before i crank it so thats not the problem. on a side note, when it primes, it seems like it has two tones that it makes as it primes, it is just the usual whining sound, but the first half of the prime cycle is just a slightly higher whine pitch than the last half of the cycle... kind of like it has more strain on it in the last half of the cycle and the motor cant keep up with it...??? i dont really know, but either way i have primed it a couuple of times before i cranked it one time just to make sure it was priming fully before start, and it was the same result.

i meant to include that in the first post... it does prime... and i let it do that every time before i crank it so thats not the problem.

I think Duncan was trying to see if you could let it prime several times before ever cranking. This should all but ensure you have 30+ PSIG of fuel pressure. I'd really do this since you noted high-demand detonation as well.

Codes will be telling. WIth high RPM detonation, you might see a lean code.

Otherwise, it can be myriad things. A confused IAC, out of calibration ECT, and so on.

Codes are always the place to try and get clues.

Good luck.

the coil is original... but wouldnt the symptoms not clear up as it warms up if it was ignition problems? and one thing about getting codes.. how exactly does one go about reading codes on our cars since it snot 96+ none of the autozone type places cant read the codes... and if u go to a mechanic they usually tell u u need an appointment and to pay like 40 bucks...:shrug: theres gotta be a better way that to buy a couple hundred dollar code reader... and yes, btw, i have primed it a couple times to ensure full FP before cranking before

There's a code reader available for about 30 bucks (from parts stores, ebay, Amazon, etc) that has an LCD read out.

You can use a paperclip to pull codes, but the above reader is much easier to use.

Good luck.