Help with 10th ann. wheel fitment on 89 fox

DNA DOA

Apr 3, 2005
Scappoose
Need your help with the correct size rims on a Fox. I want to intall the Cobra 10th ann. rims on my 89 coupe. In the process of purchasing everything for the 5-lug conversion. The rear axles will be the stock length so what rear size rims will fit??? I have searched a little bit and have found two companies so far that offers them in 17 X 10.5 in 5-lug and 17 X 10. Which would fit better? I know I have to look at the back spacing and might have to kiss the inner fender area with a BFH. Lip is already rolled. What size rear tire would you recommend to fit each wheel? 285/40/17 Kuhmo, 315/35/17 Sumitomo HTRZ? The coupe will be a summer daily driver set up with a spirited suspension seeing the road race track a few times a year. If you have pictures of your Fox with these rims please post them with the rims width, tires, and where you purchased them.

Thanks, Semper Fi :flag:
Ben

Might be going with this set up. Front tires seem to be a bit wide though. 255 might be better.

1994-04 Mustang Anthracite Sve Anniversary Deep Dish Wheel & Tire Kit - 17X9/10.5 at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly if you're gonna hit up a road course i would stick with a 9" rim out back. Clearances are tight enough back there even with fox length axles, and the amount of force the car sees in a turn will force things to rub. I run an SN axle with the proper 36mm rims and 275's and they rub slightly on the inner fender, and i have already given them the BFH treatment. Also gives you the ability to rotate your tires after a long track day and that will save you lots of coin.

What type of suspension do you have up front? 275's fit my car perfectly with the stock k-member and forward offset control arms, it will be a bit tight at the back with stock position control arms but they will fit. Providing that you have enough offset of 30mm or more.

Here is my old 88 with 275's up front
PICT0011-1.jpg

If you are dead set on those wheels I would go 10" I have 10.5s and getting them in there was a pain in the ass. I would also strongly suggest you skip the sumi tires and get nittos. I've had sumitomo on 3 differnt cars and it sucked on all 3.

I haven't seen the 17x10 wheels, only 17x10.5. Where did you find those??

Okay, with stock length fox axles and rolled lips, I vote for going 17x10.5 with a 315 tire. It will be jammed in there and you'll need to BFH the inner quarter well, but it'll be worth it.

And I do agree with Crane with sticking with a 17x9 for a road race set up. With the body rolling in and out, you will probably rub on a 10.5. But again, for looks and DD stuff, 10.5 all day. Will looks badass.

While you can make a 17x10.5 & 315 fit the back of a fox, it's pretty much for DD use only. On the track, your rear end can move over an inch side to side. The use of a panhard bar or watts link would be required if you decided to run that setup on the track.

While you can make a 17x10.5 & 315 fit the back of a fox, it's pretty much for DD use only. On the track, your rear end can move over an inch side to side. The use of a panhard bar or watts link would be required if you decided to run that setup on the track.
Even using a panhard bar the rear end will still move as the suspension articulates, especially if he doesnt have an extremely stiff dampener setup out back. Watts link would be better but they would still rub from the sidewall flex of the tire, lateral load force in a turn, and body roll of the vehicle, there just isnt enough room for a 10.5 during a road course. DD I say go for it, but i wouldnt want to risk my fenders, tires and safety while turn burning.

I haven't seen the 17x10 wheels, only 17x10.5. Where did you find those??

Okay, with stock length fox axles and rolled lips, I vote for going 17x10.5 with a 315 tire. It will be jammed in there and you'll need to BFH the inner quarter well, but it'll be worth it.

And I do agree with Crane with sticking with a 17x9 for a road race set up. With the body rolling in and out, you will probably rub on a 10.5. But again, for looks and DD stuff, 10.5 all day. Will looks badass.

ive never seen a set of 10's for a 17... 18's only

10th Anniversary Wheel 17X10 GUNMETAL 5 Lug

Even using a panhard bar the rear end will still move as the suspension articulates, especially if he doesnt have an extremely stiff dampener setup out back. Watts link would be better but they would still rub from the sidewall flex of the tire, lateral load force in a turn, and body roll of the vehicle, there just isnt enough room for a 10.5 during a road course. DD I say go for it, but i wouldnt want to risk my fenders, tires and safety while turn burning.

Absolutely. The amount of movement is greatly diminished, however. We have a 93 in house with this setup on the back & a panhard bar & he was able to roll the lips & "massage" the inner well to eliminate rub on all but the most extreme turns.

I'm with you though, I'd rather run a smaller setup on the track to avoid rubbing all together. it doesn't take much friction to completely compromise a tire at speed. The last thing you want is to risk a failure.