Help with 94/95 GT combo

lamrith

Founding Member
Jun 7, 2000
Tacoma, WA
Hey all. I have been fighting this stuff for a while and just have to face the fact that the cam I have is too much for the intakes I have.

I am STUCK with 94/95 GT intakes due to my hoodline issues. No I can't and won't change the hood. I already tried 95cobra intakes, but even milling .200" off of them and further milling a corner it would not clear the hood. Stock 87-93 intakes don;t fit eaither. If there are aftermarket intakes that are the same hieght as the 94/95 GT ones then let me know!!!

I have heard that the GT intakes are limited in what cams they will support. My combo is listed in my Sig. If you guys can, please tell me what cams you have used, or will work and give me a ballpark on power?

I did not see the 94/95 Intakes flow data listed inhe FAQ that is stickied. I know they supposedly flow less than the old 5.0 intakes..

I will most likely run twEECer on the car to get it fine tuned, but I would like a cam that the GT intakes will support.

THANKS!! and sorry for the long post.. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure it wont fit? I know a lot of people who run gt40/explorer/cobra, edlb, trick flow intakes. there is an elbo that you buy (if the cobra is not from a 94-95 cobra they even had the stock gt/v6 hood so they fit from the factory) that will let you use the stock or any other t-body. NOw the strut tower bace that will not work but ther are aftermarket ones that will work fine.

He's running it on a 78 MGB. I know that there are no other intakes that fit. You still have a few choices. You could use an Edelbrock or GT40 LOWER manifold and fabricate up a sheetmetal upper manifold that will clear the hood liner. The only problem is that you will probably loose a severe amount of low end torque. If you are keeping the car as a cruiser type car, you could contact a guy on here by the name of Tmoss, he ports the stock lower intake manifolds. They produce incredible gains over unported stockers and flow in the neighborhood of 190 CFM. That way, you can in a way have an aftermarket intake manifold, without changing the upper.

Joe

the Spyder intake from CHP i think sits pretty low. its pretty much a edelbrock victor jr. lower (i think), with a elbow as an upper.

CHP website

my question is though why not just slap on a carb and be done with it. or is it the point to make it EFI.

zenboy99 said:
You fit a 5 Liter in a MGB?

That thing has to haul! What do those MGB's weigh? I'd really like to see a picture if you have any.

BTW- I just got my GT40 ported by TMOSS and he does excellent work for very reasonable prices. He also gets your stuff back to you very quickly. I'd get in touch with him.

heh yeah she scoots. as the the EFI/Carb, she was Carb last year, the goal now is to make it EFI, smoother running better mileage etc. I do drive her as much as possible..

I thought with the 94/95 GT's it was the upper that was restrictive? I think I have a spare lower heh might have to hti up TMOSS.

The car weighs 2420 without me..

The lower is the restrictive part in the intake. A port job will only do some much with those aluminum heads and custom cam. Your best option would be do do like Joe said and get an Edelbrock or GT-40 lower, port match that to your heads and get a sheet metal upper that would clear the hood. The short runners might make it a pretty high rever though.

Jake

GTJake That was an idea for a while. I have pulled back on tweaking this thing to the hilt though. It will not be track legal for the ET's it will run. To make it legal would probably mean I could never put the top up and still fit in the car myself heh.

I have a twEECer and have contacted the 94/95 guys on that board, they say they can get it running, now it is a matter of modding THAT harness to fit the car. THe car had a "RV" cam, all torque truck type unit, and it ran great last year, but would not cross about 5200rpm before it died off. This cam should run to 6k without issue, IF the intakes can keep up. I will start saving for a Tmoss special I guess!!

PICTURES are available at the link in my sig.

When I milled the cobra set-up, it was milled as far as possible (~0.200"). There is a clearance issue with the fuel rails which limits how far you can mill. That is even with the stock low profile 94/95 rails which are shorter than all the other years. In terms of meat on the intake I could have probably taken another 1/2 between the two. I SUPPOSE I could have had a set of custom rails bent to shape around that low point. had not really thought about that. but now kicking myself that I didn't!!. The low spots are right under the intake runner from the TB on both sides of the intake. HRMMMMMMM THe other limiter is the boss on the intake curved neck that the EGR moutns to, on mine it is pretty much touching the low profile 94/95 valve covers.. Thoguh since I don't have EGR that could be cut off easily.

The motor is as far down as it can get. I had it mounted last year and the intake fit but not the distrib, then I went crank fire DIS and cobra intakes (tried to) and cut the steering rack off the K member, dropped it and the motor a good bit and put it back on. Steering is now out of align and the rack needs shimming. Long term I will probably get a new K member and renotch it back to the old position since the 94/95 distrib would have fit to begin with.

Last years car had "so-so" power with it's RV cam and 600cfm carb. The guys on the twEECer board think that they can help me get the ECU tuned to run this big cam and these intakes. Time will tell I guess!! I probably WILL be calling on TMOSS as soon as I have any $$ to afford porting that lower.