Help with a 460 swap into 90LX.

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
Me and a friend are getting ready to do a 460 swap into a 90 LX.
Does anyone know what bellhousing, clutch set, pilot bushing, and flywheel to use a for putting a T5 behind a 460?

Any suggestions on motor mounts, headers, and oil pan at a decent price?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

im with eric about the tranny not lasting long. just think about all that torque from that engine and then think about the limits the stock t5 can handle. i think it can handle somewere between 280-300??

someone sells a 460 swap kit you can type that in on google and come up with several links. Id go with at least a 3550 or TKO. My T5 didnt last long in my stock 5.0 imagine what a 460 will do to it. Im guessing most people use a C6 with the bigblock. Will the big bell C4 bolt up?

FMS makes a good oil pan kit that includes the pan, gasket, pickup, bolt with stud for pickup, and distick and tube. I picked one up brand new for 180 off Ebay. As for headers the only off the shelf stuff is Hooker Super Comps which are close to $400, and the mounts are a dime a dozen on Ebay new. If you get from a retailer expect to pay like $180 which is too much in my book. As for the flywheel and clutch just get a 460 flywheel and 460 clutch with spline for the tranny you want which would be 10 for T5's and 3550 and 26 for TKO. IF they dont have any most clutch companies can make one for you like Centerforce. The real question is finding a bellhousing or adapter that allows bolting a tremec style tranny to a bigblock. The problem is that most bigblock tranny's have a longer input shaft and a longer bellhousing. The T5 doesnt have this long input shaft but they make everything these days and you should be able to find a kit somewhere. I'd like to know because I have a C-6 but would rather use my TKO. I'm working on a 460 in an 85.

dont get very aggresive tires on the vehicle and put up with the unwanted tire spin and it wont grenade to quickly, but it will eventually. better shop around and pick up a few spares like i did at first.
i killed 2 of them with a 349 produceing 445rwhp off the juice, not even getting the chance to use juice, getting in trouble with my significant other by replaceing my trans with a viper spec 6 speed wich has stood up fine since then even on the 250 shot.

How about you all post about relevant thinks instead of arguing about how a T-5 will explode. You obviously dont know if it will work or not, so stop posting. We dont want to hear about how the trans wont hold even though they make T-5's that are far more superior than even a TKO. We wont to know if it will work and if so where do you find the info.

Doiley, unlike yourself I've blown up about 5 T-5's on my ride and I know quite a bit about how much they can and can't take. And T-5's are not made superior to TKO's, the highest strength T-5 is the Geforce, and it is only rated for street tire cars less than 3200lbs at about 600hp (fails to mention torque). TKO II's are seconds faster in the quarter than any T-5 car, the case is weak, and theres nothing you can do about that, so theres you final answer on that, if you want to prove me wrong and try to make some point, do it, I'll be reading your t-5 boom thread in a few weeks/months saying I told you so. If all you made this post for was to get people to post links for you to read than you should have been using google instead of stangnet. You came in here for experience and you ignore it, don't insult the people that try to help you.

Your are on your own about the T-5. I am using a C6 behind my 460.

Used the FMS mounts and pan for the swap. 4 holes on the oil pan had to be enlarged to make work. Had to heat up and bend the dipstick tube to clear headers. No hassle with oil pickup tube. Pan came with new main bolt to hold pickup.

Hooker super comp headers. 2" primaries and 3.5" collectors. Have to remove steering shaft to install headers then reinstall once the engine is in. This was a big pain in the ass. Also had to massage firewall for headers to clear on driver's side.

With the FMS solid mounts I have tight clearence against firewall. about 1/2-3/4 inch at most. Headers lined up pretty well with the double hump crossmember. Have yet to install any exhaust piping.

Hope this helps.

check out kaufmann products or D&D automotive for more options.

proxses said:
Gforce rates their T-5 at 600hp, 500ft-lb on a 3100lb car running slicks.
Oh, and I think Kaufmann products is out of business.
Have you tried advanced adapters to see if they sell a bellhousing?

that's drag radials, not slicks, they tell you specifically that that is not for slicks.

Oops.. from their site...
"the G-Force T-5 kit will handle roughly 600 hp or 500 ft-lb. or torque in a 3300 lb. vehicle running drag radials at the track with a moderate clutch upgrade."
That's still much better than any other T-5 I know of. I'm happy with it.

Ok, I HAVE blown several T-5's with stock cars and they are garbage, but built right they are strong. Anything can be built strong. Everybody knows rice is slow, but damn you throw some money into one and itll spank your ass. But I use a TKO. Besides the point, I didnt come on here to argue about the strength of the trans, like I said, he wants to know if it will work, not if it will explode. I would like to know, because then I could put a TKO behind my project 460, and not a C6. Open your eyes and read!! I dont want to sit here and talk about tranny strength because if I mention my beloved TKO everyone calls it crap and says the Gcrap is better, but if I help a guy try to get a T-5 behind his 460 everybody says the T-5 is crap. Contradictions is all I get on here and it seems everybody is on here to prove everybody else wrong. Or they take a post they dont know about and turn it into something they can argue about. Case in point you arguing about the T-5 being crap. Thats not what he asked is it?? You obviously lack experience in the field he wants to know about so stop posting. And just to set the record straight, a GeForce will hold a mild built 460 cause its capable of more than hes making. Just shut up about the stats and answer the guys question. It would be nice to know if the swap is doable because I hate automatics and I hate T-5's, but I could use a TKO. Obviously if a T-5 will work on a 460, then a TKO will too which will handle the power.

I'm doin that conversion also. Buyin the FMS kit. As far as mounts, im in a position to use motor plates instead. Which i prolly will. I have a C-6 for now but I heard a rumor that there is a clearance issue in the tunnel??? Anyone know for sure? If not, I'll find out soon when I set the motor/tranny in to test fit. Just waiting for my pan.

I think i have more than enuff room for the engine though ;)

Attachments

• susp5.jpg
    susp5.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 147