Help with a lowered 1990 Mustang GT

Hello everyone, I am new here! I used to be a fox-bodied Mustang owner and I am working on becoming one again. This past weekend, I went and looked at a really nice 90' GT. Very clean car inside and out. It has some minor mods to it, nothing drastic yet. Anyway, the guy neglected to tell me before my 2 hour drive to his house that the car was lowered 3 inches. Now, the car was lowered with Eibach springs, so that is the good thing. Also, it was obvious the car had been taken care of. Not a scratch on the ground effects. My first question is, how much $$$ and work would there be in raising the car back to stock heigth? I am wanting to drop a Stroker in the car and I am not sure that I can with the car lowered that much. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Shelly

• Sponsors (?)

If you want a nice track/street ride, I would swap in some Steeda sport springs. I have them on my car. They're a nice drop, offer great handling, and maintain great ride comfort. They're about $230 for the set. That would take care of the drop, however when you're talking suspension there's plenty of other components you have to consider, such as shocks/struts, ball joints, tie rods, bushings. Find out if he has replaced any of these, then you'll have a good idea of what you need to spend to set it up properly.

nice thats not bad at all. youll probably be fine, but putting in stock springs isnt all too difficult, unless they are new.

im guessing it has the caster/camber plates on it too. there are things like offset steering rack bushings and offset balljoints that people sometimes get for lowered cars. i'd check that out too and see if it is still all stock-spec stuff

That car in those pics is definately NOT lowered 3 inches. Here is one of mine at not even 1.5!
P8040088-1.jpg

Attachments

• P8040088-1.jpg
    P8040088-1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 3,105
That is what I thought too. I thought it was only a couple of inches at the most. This car was originally listed on eBay for sale and there was no mention in his auction about it being lowered either. Here is the thing..............the car is MUCH lower than it looks in the pictures. I think he purposely took pictures from the angles that made it look the least lowered. That concerns me. My biggest fear is that it really wasn't lowered correctly and that there were some things cut. It is probably about as low as your car with the 1.5 inch drop.

Here is a pic of the one i just got all the parts for, it looks almost as low as the one in your pics, but to answer your question, just swap in some stock springs
IMG_0181.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 214
Well you'd just have to do everything backwards. ha. When you lower a car, you can put on shorter endlinks(holds sway bar), lowering springs, camber/caster plates, and Offset steering rack bushings. Really not that hard to put orignal back on. If you really like the car and want it. Id go with it. Putting in the stock springs, camber/caster plates, and steering rack bushings isn't hard. So don't let that hold you back. Plus any mustang junk yard or on ebay you could get some stock springs, camber plates, and steering rack bushings. They couldn't be bringing much ha. Not many people are looking for stock suspension. You can buy new Steering rack bushings that are right for you car. Just pick up stock springs and camber plates on ebay for cheap and your good. Car looks really clean by the way. Good starter project!

nice ride, as far as seein if there cutpull off the tire and check you can count the coils if its not obvious, the # of coils im not two sure i have a sports kit in the garage some where ill look for them and count. another is get some brake cleaner and clean the sprin i had a set of eibachs that still had the part # on them three years later. IMO id trade w/ the black night and get some koni gas shocks, personaly i would not go back to stock, with the previous parts mentioned you be good untill you can get some casters, maximum has great suspension parts. a stock suspension on a fox is sub par, and often neglected in the build up process.
just my 2

If you have a regular shop, take it there and put it up on the rack. Like rick said, should be fairly easy to determine what's going on by applying an eyeball or two. Look for evidence of bodywork, too - car was resprayed? A compression check, etc., wouldn't be a bad idea while you're there.

If you have a regular shop, take it there and put it up on the rack. Like rick said, should be fairly easy to determine what's going on by applying an eyeball or two. Look for evidence of bodywork, too - car was resprayed? A compression check, etc., wouldn't be a bad idea while you're there.

Thanks for all the input guys!!!!! The car has been repainted. It was done about a year ago and it is a good paint job. I ran a carfax on it, and no wrecks or insurance claims. The car has no dents or dings that have been repaired. The only rust on it, is a minor surface rust on one of the fender wells and in the hatch. All of which would be very easy to fix. One of the first things I plan on doing is replacing the fiberglass hood and getting the car painted the way I want it.

BTW, does anyone know what kind of hood that is? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks again,

Shelly

Thanks for all the input guys!!!!! The car has been repainted. It was done about a year ago and it is a good paint job. I ran a carfax on it, and no wrecks or insurance claims. The car has no dents or dings that have been repaired. The only rust on it, is a minor surface rust on one of the fender wells and in the hatch. All of which would be very easy to fix. One of the first things I plan on doing is replacing the fiberglass hood and getting the car painted the way I want it.

BTW, does anyone know what kind of hood that is? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks again,

Shelly
its a replica of the 96-98 cobra hood, i dunno who makes it though. if you get the car, lemme know if you are getting rid of the hood, i need one and i could live with that:shrug:

Hello everyone, I am new here! I used to be a fox-bodied Mustang owner and I am working on becoming one again. This past weekend, I went and looked at a really nice 90' GT. Very clean car inside and out. It has some minor mods to it, nothing drastic yet. Anyway, the guy neglected to tell me before my 2 hour drive to his house that the car was lowered 3 inches. Now, the car was lowered with Eibach springs, so that is the good thing. Also, it was obvious the car had been taken care of. Not a scratch on the ground effects. My first question is, how much $$$ and work would there be in raising the car back to stock heigth? I am wanting to drop a Stroker in the car and I am not sure that I can with the car lowered that much. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Shelly

if ya buy it and want a set of stocks ill trade you for mine....shoot me and email [email protected]

Springs are no big deal, don't let that be the reason you don't buy the car. Any set is around $200, and stockers are sometimes free.

This was exactly my line of thinking.

Also, in an effort to get the car even lower, the spring installer might have omitted the spring isolators. If that's the case, some poly isolators will raise the car a decent amount (the labor is the same as a spring swap but parts are a good bit cheaper [50 bucks for poly isolators all the way around]).

Enjoy the new ride. It's a good lookin car. :nice: