Help with autometer gauges wiring- dimmer switch

SN95StangMan

Jul 5, 2003
Lynwood, CA
I installed some gagues in my A pillar, but I have a problem with the dimmer function. I thought i tapped into the appropriate wire, but the problem im having is that the gauges are doing the opposite of the other lights. That is, when the interior lights go dark, my gauges light up, and vice versa.
I grouped the white wires into one larger one and tapped into a 12v source that comes on with the headlamps, with an in-line fuse; and then grouped the black wires and tapped into a blue w/red stripe wire behind the cluster for the dimmer function.

What did I screw up?

Also, if i just ground the black wires, will that make the gagues light up when the cluster lights up without and dimmer function?

• Sponsors (?)

The dimmer supplies power. I might be reading you wrong but it sounds like you could be missing a dedicated ground source for your lights. :shrug:

For quick diagnostics, use a test light in lieu of the gauge lights. I.e., connect the test light and run the dimmer up and down. Your test light will dim in cadence with the rheostat.

Yeah, i checked it with a voltmeter. the blue w/red stripe is definitely the source for the dimmer

take a look at this:

gauges.jpg

Where should the "black" wire and "white" wire from the bulb be going?

Thanks

White goes to the dimmer wire (blue/red). Keep the fuse on this wire (a one amp fuse works great). EDIT: not sure how many gauges you have. If more than two, you might need a 2 amp fuse. End edit.

Black goes to ground. You can run it to the ground post on the back of the gauge if the gauge is electric.

Since the wiring diagram only shows the white going to a 12v power lighting source (side markers for example) I'm wondering if the gauges are lit using LED's. I seem to recall that LED's should not be wired through a dimmer.