help with cam selection

-=Red5.0GT=-

Feb 1, 2004
I'm in the middle of getting all the parts for my first build up and i'm having some trouble with my cam selection. the car's a daily driver and i would like to get as good of gas mileage as i can so nothing crazy, plus it needs to pass cali smog. right now I’ve got:
fresh ford shortblock
iron gt40 heads (most likely going out to thumper for porting)
edelbrock performer manifold
bbk 65 mm tb + egr
76 mm C&L maf and tube

i was thinking of going with an e cam and call it a day but i was also thinking of just using the stock cam with 1.7 RR on it. help!

• Sponsors (?)

tjm73 said:
Isn't the E303 the only non stock CARB legal cam? I think it would work well with your combo.

There are others that I was looking at; like crane cams and stuff like that. i'm just trying to get a quick responsive daily driver together that will still do good in the mpg and can have some fun on the weekends with.

I'd stick with the stocker -- the few HP you lose at peak will be more than made up for with bottom end torque, decent fuel mileage and drivability. If you put an E in it, and have to do a lot of city driving - I don't think you're gonna be happy with the mileage.

85-88 266/266 .006" duration; .444" lift w/1.6's around 210-215 .050" duration

89-95 276/266 .006" duration -- the rest the same as the older cam.

The older cam is considered the better of the two -- they slowed up the ramp rates on the intake lobe for the later years to quiet the valve train.

It's all about the combo -- so comparing different set ups with the same cam is pretty much an exercise in 'guessing'. Nevertheless, the fuel mileage with my mild set up (Y heads, 65 t/b, ProM 75 w/19's, 1.7's, FRPP shorties, Explorer intake) was DRASTICALLY altered when I moved from the E to my Rawls custom:

Ecam -- 11-13 city/21 highway
Rawls custom -- 19-20 city/25-27 highway

While we lost about 10 peak HP, we gained as much as 90 lb-ft (not a typo) down low (below 3000). The car is so much more enjoyable to drive and much quicker because of the MUCH broader/flatter torque curve we achieved with a cam designed to do that.

Your mileage may vary depending on how you drive..... :)

-=Red5.0GT=- said:
I'm in the middle of getting all the parts for my first build up and i'm having some trouble with my cam selection. the car's a daily driver and i would like to get as good of gas mileage as i can so nothing crazy, plus it needs to pass cali smog. right now I’ve got:
fresh ford shortblock
iron gt40 heads (most likely going out to thumper for porting)
edelbrock performer manifold
bbk 65 mm tb + egr
76 mm C&L maf and tube

i was thinking of going with an e cam and call it a day but i was also thinking of just using the stock cam with 1.7 RR on it. help!

i still get about 18-20mpg in the city. has to idle at 1000 to keep it happy. i heard that your pcm will get along better with it than mine is. i would go with a better maf for tuning purposes in the future.

The e- cam is a good street cam, but like Mike Yount said, you will definetly lose gas mileage. Mine dropped to 23 highway from 28 with the stock cam with 1.72 rollers all for a cooler idle and more mid-range and hi-rpm power

Michael Yount said:
It's all about the combo -- so comparing different set ups with the same cam is pretty much an exercise in 'guessing'. Nevertheless, the fuel mileage with my mild set up (Y heads, 65 t/b, ProM 75 w/19's, 1.7's, FRPP shorties, Explorer intake) was DRASTICALLY altered when I moved from the E to my Rawls custom:

Ecam -- 11-13 city/21 highway
Rawls custom -- 19-20 city/25-27 highway

While we lost about 10 peak HP, we gained as much as 90 lb-ft (not a typo) down low (below 3000). The car is so much more enjoyable to drive and much quicker because of the MUCH broader/flatter torque curve we achieved with a cam designed to do that.

Your mileage may vary depending on how you drive..... :)

damn your cam sounds about more like my style. i'm going to be running basically the same setup and i would love to have a cam like that. what were the exact specs so i can get one too!:nice: