Help With Dumping Code's 98 Koer +

• Sponsors (?)

I guess what I'm really trying to ask is. Is it a good or bad thing to have a Explorer 5.0 as a replacement for my Mustang?.lol
I can find parts, but it was difficult because some parts are ( look) different.. Lol. Thanks

Its a super popular swap,
Ok thanks,
Its not so bad now that I know what it is..lol. I tried to put spark plugs in for an 88 Mustang they wouldn't fit..lol the heads must be a little different.
I'm replacing the upper and lower intake because the previous owner busted one of the ears off the upper. my new lower is already drilled and tapped for the sensor next to #5..
Just got my lower off. :)

Fuel injector seal kits with 2 O rings and a pintle cap (Borg-Warner P/N 274081) are available at Pep Boys auto parts. Cost is about $3-$4 per kit.. The following are listed at the Borg-Warner site ( BWD - Home ) as being resellers of Borg-Warner parts:

Parts Plus – Premium Auto Parts & Accessories or Auto Value or Pep Boys | Auto Parts Stores | Car Repair & Maintenance or Federated Auto Parts

Most of the links above have store locators for find a store in your area.

Use motor oil on the O rings when you re-assemble them & everything will slide into place. The gasoline will wash away any excess oil that gets in the wrong places and it will burn up in the combustion chamber.

The pintle caps fit either injectors with a pin sticking out the injector end or 4 with more tiny holes in the injector end
The pintle caps hold the O ring in place and keep it from sliding off and into the manifold. If the correct pintle caps are used, they do not have any effect on the injector spray pattern or engine performance.

Heating the pintle caps in boiling water makes it much easier to install them.

Reactions: 1 user
Fuel injector seal kits with 2 O rings and a pintle cap (Borg-Warner P/N 274081) are available at Pep Boys auto parts. Cost is about $3-$4 per kit.. The following are listed at the Borg-Warner site ( BWD - Home ) as being resellers of Borg-Warner parts:

Parts Plus – Premium Auto Parts & Accessories or Auto Value or Pep Boys | Auto Parts Stores | Car Repair & Maintenance or Federated Auto Parts

Most of the links above have store locators for find a store in your area.

Use motor oil on the O rings when you re-assemble them & everything will slide into place. The gasoline will wash away any excess oil that gets in the wrong places and it will burn up in the combustion chamber.

The pintle caps fit either injectors with a pin sticking out the injector end or 4 with more tiny holes in the injector end
The pintle caps hold the O ring in place and keep it from sliding off and into the manifold. If the correct pintle caps are used, they do not have any effect on the injector spray pattern or engine performance.

Heating the pintle caps in boiling water makes it much easier to install them.
Thanks, that's good info. I actually just orderd a set of flow matched 4 hole injectors. Who knows if one of my old injectors are sticky or plugged. The seals and hoods are in bad shape. I'll send my old injectors out for cleaning and I'll have spairs.
Its a long road but I'm getting there with your guys help..:)
Thanks

I got my lower intake installed today.
Next I'm gonna pull my valve covers and freshen them up..lol
I should have my new injectors and fuel line in Friday.

Attachments

• IMG_20150311_201551374.jpg
    IMG_20150311_201551374.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 133
Quick update, I have my lower all finished. I installed fresh flow matched 4 hole explorer injectors, a new fuel pressure regulator and all new sensors that I could find.lol... And a new 180° thermostat.
I will install my upper tomorrow afternoon and hopefully she runs right this time.
I'll report back with what happens.
Thanks for the help guys, this is a topnotch community.

Attachments

• IMG_20150313_201236280.jpg
    IMG_20150313_201236280.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 154
Ok, I got my upper installed and all the vacume lines I could find and use are replaced. I have a few odds and ends to finish up and hopefully I'll be able to fire her up tomorrow evening.
I'll report back with my progress, and possible a question or 2..lol.
Don't mind my yellow wire loom, it's what I had laying around the shop... :)

Attachments

• IMG_20150314_195236554.jpg
    IMG_20150314_195236554.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 134
Ok, I got her fired up today. I didn't get to test drive it, but it is getting better. I pulled a couple codes. KOEO, 81, 85. Then a pause then 34.
KOER, after I get my engine code( 4 flashes for V8 with my code scanner) I do a quick full throttle hit with the accelerator peddle. After a few seconds I get codes 41, 91 & 34.
It seems to have a kinda miss at idle and will die out if I try to lightly let the clutch out with no or little throttle. If I rev it up a little it will go. I know I need a new battery, its dated as a 2001,lol
Any ideas of what to look for now?
Thanks.

If you look at the 02 sensor wiring, you will see that one wire doesn't connect to anything in the harness. Thats the one you need to ground, you will have to do the same thing for both sides. Dont worry about the orange wire for now.

If you look at the 02 sensor wiring, you will see that one wire doesn't connect to anything in the harness. Thats the one you need to ground, you will have to do the same thing for both sides. Dont worry about the orange wire for now.
Ok, I just took a quick look. I have 4 wire o2 sensors, looks like the drivers side has one brownish wire just snipped and hanging these from the car harness.. The other side looks similar but has tape all over it. I'll pull it back and have a look after 5 today. This is a mess, how do I get the correct sensors in and hooked up properly?
2 steps forward and 5 backwards.. Lolol.
Thanks for putting up with my thread and all the questions. I realy don't want to give up on the car. Its got to be close...I hope.