Engine Help With Efi 347 Stroker Build

Discussion in '1994 - 1995 Specific Tech' started by DSMwindzor, Jul 2, 2013.

1. DSMwindzor

DSMwindzor New Member

I've been doing research and the only thing I know I want so far is a streetable 5 speed 350 rwhp 347 stroker with a small shot of nitrous here and there(might as well use this nitrous bottle I have sitting around). I just picked up a mildy built 92 lx 5.0. And needless to say. I want more power!

I have a honed up and clean block and crank from a 1995 mustang gt sitting in a trash bag soaked in oil. My orignial plan was to build a 5.0 and throw it in my aging 301,xxx miles 94 cobra but now that I have this fox and have learned a bit more about cars. I'm gonna go the fred sanford route and stroke!

So after looking around all I know is I need some afr 185 heads. My friend who's been working on cars longer than I have been alive said afr is the best heads for 5.0's and everyone on the forums seems to think the same

So I'm asking now:
    -who makes good stroker kits?
    -what's a streetable cam I could get? I want something with a good range. Don't wanna pig out of the whole. Something reasonable.

I think I heard something about needing a different type of oil pump?

Any and all advice is appreciated

2. revhead347

revhead347 I have face herpes.

Stroker kits are pretty straight forward. There are a few different ways to go about it. You want a kit that runs a 5.4" connecting rod, not a stock length rod. Not even sure they sell stock length rod kits anymore. The big cost difference comes from crank selection. A cast crank is rated to 500 crank hp. If you can keep it under that, you can save a lot of money by going with a cast crank. They are all made in China now. If you go over that, you will need to get a forged crank. Most people go with the Eagle Forged crank. Go ahead and build it neutral balance. It's just better that way.

AFR is known for having great quality control, and they do make a very good head. I personally prefer the Trick Flows though. You can definately squeeze out a few extra ponies with the Trick Flows. For the money you are going to spend you can afford to squeeze out a little extra cash for a custom ground cam. If you really want an off the shelf, call Comp cams. They have more grinds then anyone else out there.

You don't need a special oil pump for a stroker engine. I opted to go for the high volume, which would be a Melling M-68HV instead of an M-68. It's really not necessary though. The only real difference is that the bottom of the cylinder walls has to be notched to clear the rod ends. Other than that It's just like building a stock stroke engine.

Kurt