Help With Front Coil Spring Info..

Fastsuprgas

Jun 10, 2014
Can anyone give me some direction on installation of drag racing springs for the front of an 85' Hatchback with a 302, aluminum heads, aluminum radiator, remaining stock suspension with the sway bar removed. The car has 90/10 Lakewood struts but has Bilstein coil springs which are allowing minimal front end movement to raise up and transfer weight to the rear tires.
I have been looking at QA1 springs and they have several weight springs to choose from. I have no idea where to begin. I would like to hit this spring choice the first time out so I don't have to buy several sets to get this right.
Anybody been there and done that?

• Sponsors (?)

A great cheap setup for drag racing is a set of 4cyl front springs and a set of worn v8 rear springs. Plenty in the boneyards to pick from. If you want new- old school eibach drag spring setup with the air bladder in the passenger right rear worked for me for years.

A great cheap setup for drag racing is a set of 4cyl front springs and a set of worn v8 rear springs. Plenty in the boneyards to pick from. If you want new- old school eibach drag spring setup with the air bladder in the passenger right rear worked for me for years.
Old or new is of no significance to me...I just want something that works. I truly appreciate your input and will research the heavier spring in the passenger rear. I wonder what a different shock (stiffer adjustable) would work like on the right rear with a 50/50 on the drivers side rear with both rear springs the same?
This car currently has Bilstein springs and shocks on the rear on both sides and is really stiff not allowing any squat on the launch. Even my 4 link car would squat on the tires a little bit which did get it off the line very quickly. Not exactly apples and apples to compare a tube chassis with an OEM but the rear suspension does play an important part in the launch and ability to get a decent 60' time.

I would just hit the jy and get a set.

Good advice. I did call the largest JY in this area and found one set of front springs from an 84' 4 cyl car. They will have them ready for pickup in the morning. I will get them swapped out and see what happens with the ride height of the car. I may have to shorten the springs? I would guess they are smaller wire diameter but taller? Either way...I am having fun making these changes. I LOVE a challenge! Thank You.

You should check out TeamZ Motorsports. They have everything you'll need to get your car to 60ft consistently. I recently bought their rear upper and lower controll arms,ARB,and rear drag springs. I also am installing 175# front coil overs paired with Strange engineering adj struts and shocks. With enough power,tire and skill the car should 60ft under 1.5sec.

You should check out TeamZ Motorsports. They have everything you'll need to get your car to 60ft consistently. I recently bought their rear upper and lower controll arms,ARB,and rear drag springs. I also am installing 175# front coil overs paired with Strange engineering adj struts and shocks. With enough power,tire and skill the car should 60ft under 1.5sec.

Funny that you mentioned it. If you go to you tube you will see a video where Dave recommends worn V8 springs for drag cars over aftermarket ones.

Funny that you mentioned it. If you go to you tube you will see a video where Dave recommends worn V8 springs for drag cars over aftermarket ones.
That was before he designed these new springs. My research has shown that they are good for at least .1 in the 60ft. But if on a budget the worn/cut GT springs-4cyl fronts is a good setup.

You can't go wrong with the coil over setup from UPR. Great quality, great performance for an affordable price. Plus guys are constantly winning races in the NMRA and NMCA events running UPR, can't argue with that.

Reactions: 1 user
You're crazy. There's ONE company who made the first tubular k-member. So everybody else copied, right? Please. And Jeremy quit to start his own business.
I don't care if you are a site sponsor- the truth is the truth.

UPR has copied more products over the years than I can count. Everyone knows it- all you have to do is google "UPR sucks" and read all the stories about it. Name one product UPR engineered themselves and not copied.

You really want to get into this? I assure you that you will come out on the losing end.

Let's start with one of UPR employees using his wife's maiden name to buy competitor's products on Ebay and then making copies off that part and selling them. Bullet vacuum tree ring a bell?

How about this tach bracket UPR copied?

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/6538-UPR-copies-another-product

Or these MM steering rack bushings?

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/S...id-1979-04-Mustang-with-MM-K-member-P467.aspx

UPR knockoffs- they even use the word "maximum" in the name

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-maximum-steering-rack-bushings-blue.html

OR the C&D letter SilverHorse racing sent to UPR for copying their parts- you remember that thread. The one UPR had deleted.

Funny I have never seen any similar threads about MM, Griggs, or Steeda copying other vendor's parts and making knockoffs.

I'll stop here and give you the opportunity to refute any of this.

Yeah and stick to that story about Jeremy.

blah blah blah

When you say "stick to that story", that's implying that I am a liar. Let's not go there, okay? I prefer to keep things professional, but questioning my integrity is personal.

The bottom line is, you have some hardcore vendetta against my employer and it makes you feel good to bash us. Enjoy. We're just out here winning races and taking care of customers. ;)

When you say "stick to that story", that's implying that I am a liar. Let's not go there, okay? I prefer to keep things professional, but questioning my integrity is personal.

The bottom line is, you have some hardcore vendetta against my employer and it makes you feel good to bash us. Enjoy. We're just out here winning races and taking care of customers. ;)

No, the bottom line is when anyone posts facts about UPR copying other vendors parts, you never deny it- all you do is say it's personal to deflect. Nothing personal at all. Did or didn't UPR copy those items?

I don't deal with companies that copy everyone else's parts to make cheap copies, and have piss poor business ethics. That's why I will never buy a GMS part either. As far as winning races,didn't UPR people to put their stickers on their cars that didn't run one single UPR part on them? I remember reading about that on YB a few years back.