Help with my VIN Tag Please!!

68Rustangs

Oct 5, 2007
Sun Prarie WI
I am about to part this car out unless i can find a way to clean up and save whats left of this tag without it looking questionable. I originally bought the car to restore but with the tag in such bad condition i dont know if it is wise to do that. I know obviously it is illegal to duplicate a tag. I also know you can buy the ford sticker that overlays over the VIN to pretty it up but is there a safe way to clean up what is left on the tag? I dont want to take a wire brush to it cause then it may be questioned as a fake if its all scratched up. you can still read the numbers i just need a safe way to clean up the corrosion on it. HELP PLEASE!!!! I dont really want to part it out. Thanks Stangnet.:flag:

Attachments

• mustang003.jpg
    mustang003.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 135
  • mustang002.jpg
    mustang002.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Sponsors (?)

I think you are overly concerned. Do you have a clear title with your name and address on it? Does the vin on the title match the tag and the vin on the fender apron and the door tag? If so, have a new tag made. No sweat. Or just mount the old tag the way it is. Or leave the tag off and put it somewhere safe.

I do have a clean title and the vin matches the fender apron and the door warranty tag. I thought it was illegal to have a new tag made? I have looked everywhere for a blank or someone who can make them with no luck and just figured nobody will do it.

Thanks for the help guys. I could always fab a new plate myself and have it stamped but im not too worried about it. I was gonna part the car out because of it but they didnt even start putting plates on the dash until 68 i think. I will try calling that link you found after the new year. Thanks for that Barn Stang.

My coworker has done a couple through Marti. He said he has had to provide a pencil rubbing of the door plate vin to prove it was his vin and copies of the title etc...you may also need a rubbing of the buck tag. But since you actually have the dash tag, that may be enough to send them that to prove it's legit. Eitherway, you can get it done. Let us know what happens as I am curious to know the process.

I am about to part this car out unless i can find a way to clean up and save whats left of this tag without it looking questionable. I originally bought the car to restore but with the tag in such bad condition i dont know if it is wise to do that. I know obviously it is illegal to duplicate a tag. I also know you can buy the ford sticker that overlays over the VIN to pretty it up but is there a safe way to clean up what is left on the tag? I dont want to take a wire brush to it cause then it may be questioned as a fake if its all scratched up. you can still read the numbers i just need a safe way to clean up the corrosion on it. HELP PLEASE!!!! I dont really want to part it out. Thanks Stangnet.:flag:

It is not illegal to duplicate the tag, since it is not legal to use it for identification purposes. It was used only as a warranty tag.

Marti will duplicate it with no problem. Many people including myself have Marti tags. If you have the original, keep it safe, so if you ever sell the car, give it to the next owner.