Help with Parking Brake Handle! Please!!!

uhoh5.0

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2002
Montgomery, AL
I bought a replacement handle to install since the old one was looking pretty ratty. I thought this would be a simple swap, but I can not get that little pin out of the oem handle to pull the dang thing loose. I tried drilling it out, but the darn pin must be made of titanium, lol! Maybe I am missing something, or maybe someone has been down this road before and figured out some trick to get the little sob loose. Any tips are appreciated!:fuss:

• Sponsors (?)

I think the shaft only has a slot for the pin on one side. So I think it would be difficult to drill through the plastic handle, the metal liner of the handle, and the metal of the shaft on the other side? I wonder if I could just try to drive the pin in further and maybe be able to slide the handle off?

Also, I'd give strong consideration to buying a metal aftermarket handle. I just cracked a new plastic repro by setting the brake.

IIRC someone (10secgoal?) on the board manufactured some, but then they were imitated by a competitor. I thought the part made by the Stangnet guys looked really sharp.

VICTORY AT LAST!!!!

I used a tiny screw and my channel locks to push the pin in as far as it could go. The handle still wouldn't budge, so I drilled a hole through the handle down the center of the shaft. I shined my flashlight in there, and I could see the pin was pushed snug against the other side of the shaft with just a sliver of the other side still protruding through the hole and keeping the handle on.

SO.......

I got a bigger bit and drilled down the center of the shaft, breaking the pin in half and snapping my dewalt bit in the process.

BUT....

The handle came off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes the littlest projects turn into the biggest pains in the ~~~!!!!

Thats what I do is use channel lock pliers to press it in.

I agree that the repro handles are easy to break. I wish they had metal inside them like the original does.

I don't like those aftermarket looking metal handles they don't look right to me.

Also, I'd give strong consideration to buying a metal aftermarket handle. I just cracked a new plastic repro by setting the brake.

IIRC someone (10secgoal?) on the board manufactured some, but then they were imitated by a competitor. I thought the part made by the Stangnet guys looked really sharp.

yeah I remember that it was billet I think:nice:

They do. At least the ones I've used.

None of the reproduction handles I have found have the metal. They are just plastic. I have broken 3 or 4 of them over the years. They just break off. The original one was broken and slightly bent, since it had metal inside. I would like to find one that was like that.