Help with speedo issue

NJCstang

Founding Member
Apr 25, 2000
Walker, La
I am having a couple of issues with my car that I am hoping are related. One problem is that the speedo does not work and the other problem is that when I come to a stop the car stalls unless I am giving it gas. The idle does not move more than 100 rpm normally and it does not stall all the time, just most of the time after it has been running for a few minutes. I have heard that a bad VSS will cause the car to stall because it compensates for the car stopping. I have replaced the speedo cable and the gear is in good condition. I have never had any codes for the VSS so that is why I am not sure that is the problem. Can someone please help me out with this? Does it sound like I have a bad VSS on the car or could there be some wiring issue possibly? Is there a way to test the VSS to see if it is bad? Someone brought up that there could possibly be no gear inside the transmission. Would there be any reason for someone to leave that out and is there an easy way to see if the gear is there? Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

You guys with idle problems could same a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first post has all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix you idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix.

I'll go through that list but can someone please help me figure out why my speedo doesn't work? I got a new cable cause the old one fried and the gear on the vss is in good condition. Is there anything else that I can look at? There are no codes for a bad vss. Thanks