Help With Stereo Selection

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
I want a CD player (single ok) with MP3 capability and Sirius or XM satellite.

When I go to the store websites, they list the players, but then they say "satellite tuner required"
Im not too sure what the h3ll you would buy a CD player that has XM or Sirius on it, then have to buy a tuner for it...what gives?

I had a little help with this, but in a different thread, and it was :OT: , so I decided to start a different thread.

Any price lists, parts lists, links to websites would be helpful.

Thanks
RC

• Sponsors (?)

You can tune the XM part on the XM ready cd tuner but it is like your home stereo, you need the component to pick up the satellite. I have always been a big Pioneer fan. If you buy off of the internet, chances are you will not get a guarantee with it. Buy it from a local place.

Paul

The XM antenna plugs into the XM receiver, which then plugs into the head unit. The CD player just controls what channel your on, kinda like a cd changer. The XM receiver is a fairly large box, a little smaller than the CD player, but close. Give it another year or two and you probably will have the receiver built into the head unit.

I would go with Pioneer because they make a quality product and they're less expensive than everyone else. I went with Alpine in the stang and it sounds great, but its $$$.

BTW, I got everything from Circuit City. Keep an eye on their returned items. I got my XM receiver for about $70 off, and I paid $250 for a $500 amp :nice:

94GTLaserRC said:
So no matter what, I need that $100+ head unit for ANY satellite receiver, regardless of whether or not I get the CD player?
RC

I don't think you need a receiver with the Delphi system. Just the $70 XM antenna.

Sorry if Im confusing you, I'll try to explain it better. The Delphi unit is a stand-alone boom box, but you can use it in the car with a seperate XM antenna, it should come with everything else. You may have to buy the car adapter, but Im not sure :shrug:. If you go with an XM ready CD player you will also need the XM receiver, usually $150 for Pioneer, and antenna, around $70.

Yeah the H/U's that advertise as XM ready or whatever only have the ability to interface with the tuner so you don't need a separate controller. It's stupid that they advertise it as they do, but oh well.

Anyway I love my HU, I don't know how I got by without the MP3 playing ability, high volt preouts, 13 band auto-adjusting EQ and 5-way time alignment! :nice:

940mp1.jpg

The 940 and 9400 are were the only HU's I liked. The Alpine head units are decent but they have too many buttons and look funny IMO.

BTW I have some friends with different satellite services and they all suck if you have specific tastes in music. If you can stand listening to local radio you might like the satellite stations since it's not too much different really. It's just that the commercials are not local and you get good sound quality.

that is rather confusing, i just figured with my "xm satellite ready" sony xplod H/U that all I had to do was buy the service. That's not very straight forward advertising, almost crooked...

good thing i didn't plan on buying it in the first place, i just like how the H/U looks

Black95GTS said:
mortal kombat theme song? you put something like that on, you better be like 6'4 250 or else you're gonna catch a lotta crap.
in tucson, about anything goes. :D

Here's a pic of my XM receiver, Thunder 801D on the left-Alpine XM receiver on the right. The yellow/green wires go to the XM antenna. the blue wire goes to radio and the yellow/black are power and ground. PS, sorry about the wires, I took my speakers out at the drag strip and haven't straightened them up yet.
amp.jpg

HISSIN50 said:
in tucson, about anything goes. :D

Damn skippy!! Hearing that song for the first time got me started on techno.

Is that the song that repeats "Mortal Kombat" every once in a while. N/M, I think it is.

Orbital's On + On + On is the one I am thinking of :DOH: But it's on the MK soundtrack though.

Back on topic, choose the head unit you like for looks and features. Just make sure it's MP3 capable and you will never listen to the radio again. I only change to the radio when my phone rings so I don't lose my place.

Having 130+ songs on 1 cd is absolute bliss!!
Scott

Zero Signal said:
Anyway I love my HU, I don't know how I got by without the MP3 playing ability, high volt preouts, 13 band auto-adjusting EQ and 5-way time alignment! :nice:

940mp1.jpg

The 940 and 9400 are were the only HU's I liked. The Alpine head units are decent but they have too many buttons and look funny IMO.

BTW I have some friends with different satellite services and they all suck if you have specific tastes in music. If you can stand listening to local radio you might like the satellite stations since it's not too much different really. It's just that the commercials are not local and you get good sound quality.

John..You got my attention...can you tell me (us) more about your setup?

Are there other components in your car (eq,spk,ant,etc)?
Is that a single disc player?
Do you actually have the Sat. service?

I love the look of that unit, and I may go that route depending on cost.
Sorry for all the questions, but that seems like the way to go for me!
Thanks
RC