Help With Stereo Selection

nope his head unit is the deh-p940mp to find one u might have to go on ebay and look cause its a couple years old now. the new equivelent (sp?) would be the deh-p860mp. premier is definetly the way to go i have premier in one stang, excelon in the other and alpine in the other and there all great radios but the premier takes the cake as far as performance! if u have any ?s on installation drop me a PM. i have was a installer for 2 years at best buy, left there and now i work at a custom shop here in detroit.

• Sponsors (?)

raginbul469 said:
nope his head unit is the deh-p940mp to find one u might have to go on ebay and look cause its a couple years old now. the new equivelent (sp?) would be the deh-p860mp. premier is definetly the way to go i have premier in one stang, excelon in the other and alpine in the other and there all great radios but the premier takes the cake as far as performance! if u have any ?s on installation drop me a PM. i have was a installer for 2 years at best buy, left there and now i work at a custom shop here in detroit.

Thanks for the info...I will PM you later, but maybe others can benefit from this question:

If I go with the 860, and I want XMSR, what EXACTLY do I need to buy with it? I dont care about new speakers or a separate amp. I just want a good CD/MP3 player and Satellite radio (oh, one I can take out and play at home also)

I can go look at BB's website if you tell me what all I need.
Thanks
RC

mortal kombat theme song? you put something like that on, you better be like 6'4 250 or else you're gonna catch a lotta crap.

Lol :D 6'0 200, lean. That movie and the soundtrack still owns all! You can't say the scene where Scorpion pulls off his face and shoots flames from his skull with Fear Factory playing in the background isn't one of the best scenes in movie history :D

Anyway, yeah my deck is almost 2 years old, but the DEH-P860MP would be the closest equivalent with a color screen to boot. I think it's the best looking HU for our cars with the simple, symmetric design.

As for my system, I'm running Diamond Audio 6.5 components all around, 2 12" Elemental Designs 12's (sealed) with a JL Audio 250/4 for the highs and a Rockford amp for the subs. I used the factory Mach460 tweeter pods for the Diamond tweeters, it sounds really nice and I love where it puts the soundstage.

Tweeter.jpg

Rearbaffle.jpg

Reardash.jpg

See what happens when you get me started on audio crap? :nonono: I'm such a picture whore.

Hey RC..

I've always been a big fan of stereo's and have tried a few different head unit and amp, sub combo's....

As far as quality and functions you can't beat the price of any Pioneer or premeir HU. Alpine is also top notch and is said to have a little bit better processors and such. I personally have always liked the Organic-EL display of the pioneers better than the alpines. I bought all the stuff in my yellow car from ikesound.com. Good service and warranty's from them. check out these two receivers.

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2061
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1921

I would get the pioneer receiver. There really isn't anything different with the premier's as long as they are the sam model as the pioneer and such 860,8600....

94GTLaserRC said:
I just want a good CD/MP3 player and Satellite radio (oh, one I can take out and play at home also)

RC

For that you will need a Delphi or similar unit. Think of it as a portable MP3/CD/tape/etc. player. It plays on any car radio as long as you use the car adapter kit - which plays through the FM radio, and you can use it in your house too. The Delphi is the only way I know of to get portable XM, unless you pay for 2 subscriptions...One for your car receiver and one for you home receiver.

well to get XM with your premier u need a "tuner" box. all the brands that are "SAT ready"(sony,pioneer,alpine,ect..) stopped producing the seperate tuner boxes. they all are goin to have a universal tuner box made buy terk that has specific cables u buy seperate depending on your HU. if u try searching now u might be able to find some tuner boxes for pioneer/premier, but they did stop producing them so if they run out there out!

this is the tuner box u need (but that is way overpriced!!)

this is the antenna u will need for that tuner box( this is a decent price actually)

the tuner box should be between 99-149 USD.

L8er,
curlee

RC>
You will want the delphi if you want it to be portable, it can be mounted in the storage tray where the factory cd player was and look good, cost is 99 bucks for the delphi tuner and then 69 per kit for home or car, basically look at it as everywhere you want to use it add 69 bucks, each kit comes with everything you need for it to be used in that application, Now for use in your car you will need to either purchase a fm modulator or buy a deck that has a line input. If you are planning on running the stock speakers and not ever adding aftermarket amp and subs, then the deck pictured above is way over kill for what you need you could get a pioneer 3600 which would look very very similiar and cost way less. Best Buy and circut will generally install for free and will do a good job, it is a very straight forward install if you want to do it yourself, if u are using the mach system there is a different harness you will need and also one other part as well, if you need help or advice please let me know Dan

saxman9801 said:
RC>
If you are planning on running the stock speakers and not ever adding aftermarket amp and subs, then the deck pictured above is way over kill for what you need you could get a pioneer 3600 which would look very very similiar and cost way less. Best Buy and circut will generally install for free and will do a good job, it is a very straight forward install if you want to do it yourself, if u are using the mach system there is a different harness you will need and also one other part as well, if you need help or advice please let me know Dan

:stupid:
Your system is only going to sound as good as the weakest part involved. If you get a nice (and expensive) HU, yes, it will reproduce sweet sound. However, you won't hear the full benefits, because of the stock amps.
Also, if you can change the gears in the power window motor yourself, you can install your own HU. Don't worry about it, we can help you through it. You will need a harness or two, and BB and CC rape you on those when they do the install (at least in AZ). Both were going to charge me $56 and $18 just for two wiring harnesses they said I needed. I ended up going to Fry's Electronics (GREAT store) and getting the ONE harness I needed for $9 and doing everything with a friend in 15min.

ZeroSignal: nice deck :nice: ...though I use and prefer Alpine :D

totally OT, but i finally found all the AZ people (including all of the tucsonans). whahoo. i cant find any with foxes....
im trying to find a cheap SN95 in tucson, so i can come in here and play with y'all.

Man...Thanks to ALL of you for this info :hail2:
But Im still a little confused:

1. I thought CC and BB install the stuff for Free when you buy it there :shrug:

2. I wont need to CUT any wires to splice? The harness just "plugs" right in?

3. If I get a Sony or Pioneer (or any) "Sat Ready" unit for now without service, but just with the MP3 player, can I "add" the Delphi unit later to actually receive the service? If so, I would still need something to connect my player to the Delphi, correct?

Thanks agains (you know in 1983, when I was 19, I installed, wired, drilled, and mounted equalizers, speakers and the player in my 72 T-bird...I feel like I have to learn this stuff all over again. :bang:
RC

94GTLaserRC said:
Man...Thanks to ALL of you for this info :hail2:
But Im still a little confused:

1. I thought CC and BB install the stuff for Free when you buy it there :shrug:

2. I wont need to CUT any wires to splice? The harness just "plugs" right in?

3. If I get a Sony or Pioneer (or any) "Sat Ready" unit for now without service, but just with the MP3 player, can I "add" the Delphi unit later to actually receive the service? If so, I would still need something to connect my player to the Delphi, correct?

Thanks agains (you know in 1983, when I was 19, I installed, wired, drilled, and mounted equalizers, speakers and the player in my 72 T-bird...I feel like I have to learn this stuff all over again. :bang:
RC

1. Here they say "free install" but charge for materials.

2. A new HU comes with a wiring harness that plugs into the unit on one side and has wires already stripped on the other (just pull the ends off). The wiring harness you will need plugs into the Mach system on one end and has pre-stripped wires on the other as well. So, just splice the two harnesses and then plug them both into their respective outlets. I soldered the wires together, and put some "heat shrink" stuff (not sure what its called, got it at radio shack) over the exposed wire and molded it with a lighter. Looks really nice though you won't ever see it... :D ...so no cutting needed and nothing is done to the car's wires.

3. I could only guess...

3.5 At least you know how to use your comp. and the internet :lol: :rlaugh:

J/K I know your not that old, and you'll pick up the new car audio stuff no prob.

ok so i wrote this whole big schpeel on what u need to do and about the differences between the "premium sound" and "mach 460" but all of it got deleted!! im soo pissed but anyways RC if u really are interested in getting a new deck drop me a pm and ill set u in the right direction, and possibly (depending on what brand) get u dealer cost from my shop.

p.s. i think they had it backwards when he said pioneer and alpine were the worst cause i have worked in the car stereo retail work for 5 years and they have by far been my best manufactors and on a personal note they have never failed me at all.

p.s.s if u purchase premier from a licensed dealer like my company u have a 2 year manufactor warranty instead of just the one year normally provided.

oh and by the way not to start a war but chromeyellow u should categorize all BB and CC and not proffessionals cause i would love for u to come across the state and come see me cause my BB is one of the top bays in the state and we are defietly not jackasses!!!

I know this is OT but I tried posting in the sound section and got nothing. I just want to know the cheapest way to hook up subs to the stock 460. I have the sub in a box with an amp. I just need to know the cheapest way. What wires are needed?

Could someone just PM with some answers so I don't mess up this thread.