Help with street tire decision

DNA DOA

Apr 3, 2005
Scappoose
I have an 89 black coupe that I will be installing a 5-lug conversion on with 2003 10th anniversary Anthracite wheels. I am having a tough time deciding on which tires to get.

The coupe will not see the drag strip, summer daily driver but it will have a spirited street /road course suspension on it. I know there are many different tire man. like General tire, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Nitto, Falken, Hankook, Continental, Dunlop, Yokohama, Goodyear, Sumitomo, etc. But which company offers a great steet/road course tire? Where is a great place to shop for them too.

Thanks, SEMPER FI :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Yokohama and general make some passable budget street tires. Nitto 555 is a good all around tire. The NT05 is more of a competition tire. Money would be better spent elsewhere if you're just going to work and picking up groceries.

I have a friend who autox's quite a bit... Currently he is running the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1.. He loves them. I've been in the car and driven it, it just grips and grips. I would recommend the Dunlop.

I have heard good things about the following:

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
Yokohama Advan AD08
Hankook Ventus RS3

Don't remember what number they were, but the last set of dunlops a ran were a lot harder than the pirellis I pulled off. First hard corner I hit I about smacked the guard rail. Wish I could remember what they were! I've got a friend who bought a wheel/tire package with sumitomos and he says they are the worst of the worst. He's a big SCCA guy, so take that for what it's worth. That's all I got, I'm more of a drag guy...:shrug:

This is the tire I have on my car:

g-Force Sport | BFGoodrich Tires

Supposedly it's the tire they use on the cars at Skip Barber racing school. It's relatively cheap, grips well, and I've had decent success with tread life (I've run 3 sets on this car, two when it was still 15" the third is on it now which is 17").

Just don't EVER get caught in the snow with those. I made that mistake once, just trying to back it out of the garage, turn it around, and drive it back in. Got stuck in the driveway with maybe .5" snow, haha.

Ben get these they are the ones i have.Grip and handle good.......well till the boost comes on(ask roger about that) :rlaugh: 275/45/17 run me $199.99 out the door mounted balanced!And thats with tax but since you live in the green tree hippie state you wont have to worry about tax :nono:Thats at americas tire!peace
tire.jpg

john:p

Wow thanks for the replies and tire selection. Time to start looking up all of those tires and make a decision. I really like the tread pattern on your tires John. I don't think they cost that much either. America's Tire is that where Jerome works?

Thanks everyone.