Help with timing!

Hey guys, we just replaced the head gasket, did some indepth head porting on the exhaust and intake, as well as the bowl area.

The only problem is, a buddy of mine cranked the engine to get the antifreeze out of the cylinders... with the head OFF!

No we have a big giant timing nightmare.

No idea how to set this thing properly!

And theres no way I am taking that head off AGAIN, that thing weighs at LEAST a TON!

Thanks!
Pete :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

well just bring up #1 piston, first piston on the block. On the crank the key pin should be at 12o'clk[striaght up]at this point #1 piston should be at top dead center. If not rotate till it is. On the plate that holds the belt on the crank[slides in front of crank gear]should have a notch on it ,at this point it will be lined up with the timing marks on the belt cover. Next turn cam gear till it lines up with middle mark on timing indicator[just under cam]. Or if the valve cover is off put the 1st and 2nd lobe at 10o'clk and 2o'clk this should put the cam in time. The AUX. gear should be at 12o'clk if the car is 95 or new and if pre 95 take off dis. cap and put the rotor at 4o'clk put belt on and this should be it. IF THERE ARE ANY MISTAKES SOMEONE LET ME KNOW! I just did mine this weekend not bad after i found out what marks to use. My car is a 87.

So pull the #1 plug, put your thumb over the hole and have someone turn the motor over with a ratchet not the starter and wait for it to blow air out the hole. Then you can either look in the hole with a flashlight (as I do) or simply watch your crank timing marks on the pulley and line it up with TDC. Then, point the cam to the auxiliary pulley. Then put the belt on (since the dizzy never moved).

Oh, and this is virtually identical to what it says on my site, just a condensed version ;)

Stinger