Help with Tuning(?) issue... What to do?

Lesane

Sep 1, 2004
Orlando, FL
I'm looking for some guidance, as I am new to the 4.6 Mustangs... It might take a good bit of detail to explain my dillema, so please bear with me. I am also new to the forums, so if this is in the wrong spot, or its too long, or anything else is wrong, I apologize! I just dont know what to do, and i really need help! About a year ago, I bought a 1998 Mustang GT. The previous owner had done a good little bit of work to it, including a Vortech supercharger. The car ran great when I bought it, but took a downhill turn shortly after. It started to run very rich, leaving black soot all over the rear bumper. And right after that, the coolant crossover on my intake manifold decided to crack. I replaced the intake with an aftermarket (OEM type) with the aluminum crossover, and integrated o-ring gaskets. Now that was fixed, something else has to go wrong, right? It didn't want to start, and i tried to trouble shoot everything. It ended up that one of the wires to the driverside coil had a bad connection, but during the process of figuring that out, I also learned that my car didn't have the factory computer, and the MAF sensor was labeled for a 96 GT with 36# injectors. I have 42# on my car, so i figured that might be a problem? So I decided what i should do was get a new MAF and get a new tune. I installed a 90mm Lightning MAF sensor, and got my car down the only performance shop around. I know NOTHING about tuning Mustangs, and I assumed the owner of the shop did. I paid about $500 total for a dyno tune, and a little bit of labor that was needed during the process. After that, the car seemed to run GREAT! the numbers werent what i thought they would be (302hp, 360tq i believe). Then the car took another turn downhill. It developed this horrible pinging noise under ANY load in 4th gear! It sounded like it was right under the front seats in both sides of the exhaust. It also started to run rich again, leaving the black soot all over the bumper. my boost gauge wasnt pulling as far on the vac. side as it used to, and wasnt pushing as far into the boost side either. I talked to the guy at the shop, and he said he would take care of me. I brought it up there, left it with him for a few days, and came back when it was done. He told me that "there wasnt much room left to adjust the timing on the computer" so he burned a chip for me to try to counter what the computer was already programmed for. This doesnt sound like the correct method of doing this, but like i said, I took his word for it. So he "retuned" my car and installed a chip, and said he did all he could. Well that left me with a car that still pings in 4th gear, still seems to be running rich, not producing the boost it used to, gets HORRIBLE gas milage, and just doesnt perform like i think it should. That was the last action i could take before deploying to Iraq, where I am currently. That was back in January. I am going to be returning home VERY soon, and I'm REALLY looking forward to driving my Mustang again! And i want to do it at its full potential! What should I do next? The shop I took it to was the only option I had for where i was at the time. When i get back I'll be in FL with more options! Does anyone have any suggestions? any questions? any tips? please help me out with this! What do I do to get my car running right!?... Thanks in advance for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

Some of the vehicle info...

I figured it would help if you knew the mods done to the car... some will probably have NOTHING to do with the problem, but I'm trying to provide as much info as I can.
1998 Mustang GT 4.6L 75,000 miles
Vortech Supercharger ~10psi, no intercooler/aftercooler
OEM Intake Manifold w/Aluminum coolant crossover, 160 thermostat
90mm Lightning MAF sensor
42# ford injectors, billet 5/8 fuel rails, Vortech fuel pump, Boost prop. regulator
BBK catted H-pipe, dynomax dual exhaust
New stock coils, NGK plugs, new Ford Racing 8.8mm wires, New O2 sensors before cats, O2 sensor delete after cats, new coolant temp sensor
Fuel Pressure and Vac/Boost guages
What looks to be a factory computer, but not original for this car (and not listed for it either) with a chip (diablo i believe)

All of the other mods shouldnt be causing any of the problems, as they are just rotating parts, or purely aesthetic. If there are any questions please ask! Thanks again!

Hey - if you live anywhere near Jacksonville drive you car up here and go see Tony at HP Performance. Awesome guys over there - pretty much a mustang only shop. I enjoyed just LOOKING in the garage at all the nice Saleens / Cobras in there for maintenance/tuning. They have an onsite tuning facility and are totally professional in everything they do. Their prices are very very affordable and they won't try to sell you anything you don't need. If there is anything that can be done with your non-stock ECU unit - they can HP Performance - Home

WOW. it sounds like you deffinetly have a vacum leak. are you running a FMU? if so it could be malfunctioning and causing your rich condition. with a vacum leak your fmu wont work properly either i believe. it sounds like you need to pull out some timing from the WOT table. I had to have a little pulled from mine because of a slight rattle. your maf transfer function could be off too. you really need to take it to a better shop. since your comming back from deployment you should have a little cash saved up. I would swap in a brand new built shortblock with pi heads. also you might want to figure out what computer you have there should be a 4 letter code on it in bold lettering that will help you track it down.

Thanks for all of the help so far. I was thinking possibly the computer as well. Im going to call back to the states when I have a chance, and have my little bro get me the numbers off the computer. When I did the intake, I didnt do my research and wasn't aware of the whole PI/non-PI thing at that point. I just did a direct replacement intake, and the gaskets were built into the intake like o-rings. They seemed to be high quality, and looked like they would create a GREAT seal! I was thinking a possible vaccuum leak too, but was not able to locate one. I dont have a FMU... I dont know if its the same, but I have an adjustable pressure regulator, that increases pressure as boost increases. I pass thru Jacksonville everytime I go home (which is near Orlando), so I think I may check that shop out! Are there any other suggestions of stuff i should definately look into, or maybe things I need to invest in, such as needed parts or mods? Thanks for all of the help so far! It is REALLY appreciated!

When you got the new MAF, did you make sure that it was calibrated for your injectors. I think that you might have a prob. w/ the MAF and that computer. I am not in FL but, I have heard good things about HP Performance. You might want to drop it off there and see what they say. Good luck.

I think it has something to do with the tune. I would take it to a good dyno shop and have them run it on the dyno. They will make sure your tune is good and when they data log it they should be able to diagnose any mechanical problems you have. Maybe a leakdown test and compression test before you take it in would be a good idea. Good luck with your project.

I was under the impression that the Lightning 90mm MAF's are calibrated for 42# injectors. Is that correct? I definately think its mainly in the tune as well. When i get back to the U.S. I'll definately swing into HP Performance, and see if they can help straighten out my issues. The leakdown test is something I'm not familiar with. Is that something i should do, or could they do that for me at the shop? Is that to detect a possible vaccuum leak? I also agree that the shop i used probably wasnt the best! It was unfortunately my only option for where I am stationed at the time. I dont know if it is bad ettiquite, so im not gonna throw the name out there, but i dont see myself going back there for anything. I have always run 93 octane, and sometimes even some octane booster on top of that to see if it would help with the pinging, but it never did. Its not always there either, but most of the time it is. What would cause it to only happen in fourth gear though? I thought that was interesting. Well I appreciate all of the help so far! And the forum is a great place to feel a little closer to my Stang, even though its 5000 miles away! Thanks guys!

Does anyone reccomend Sniper Tuning Software? Would I be able to use that in my situation? It costs less than i will spend at any shop getting a new tune, and it is constantly adjustable as i get more mods... It just seems logical, but im not sure... I figured i would ask! What do you think? Why or why not?

Have you tried searching for local Mustang club message boards in the Orlando area? I know there are a few clubs in the Space Coast area. You might want to see if you can locate them on the internet and post in there as well. They may be able to point you in the right direction for a reputable local tuner. :nice:

Does anyone reccomend Sniper Tuning Software? Would I be able to use that in my situation? It costs less than i will spend at any shop getting a new tune, and it is constantly adjustable as i get more mods... It just seems logical, but im not sure... I figured i would ask! What do you think? Why or why not?

I recomend sniper. but its not going to fix your problem. sniper special forces will only build you a SAFE supercharger tune it wont be spot on and will need to be fine tuned by a dyno guy. the car will be driveable and safe to drive but it wont be optimum nor will it be very smooth. sniper is actually located in sanford fl i believe. but you need to figure out your issue first. I think you should find a wrecked stang of the same year and take the ecu out of it. maybe that will help.

I live in Orlando and I know the popular mustang choice is Lamotta...but I also heard the guy that runs it is a dick...

I was at a very reputable Corvette performance shop and he HIGHLY recommended a little place in Longwood called real street performance I went there once to see what was wrong w/ my car...he was very honest, and didn't give me a bunch of BS.

Apparently the guy who runs this place left LaMotta because of their ethics or something.

Ya, I might check out the Sniper stuff once I get everything all straightened out i guess. I had thought about getting another ECU out of a junk car too! Just to get tuned from a fresh start, and go from there. Instead of doing what the last guy did, and just piggyback a chip on top of my incorrectly tuned ECU!?

Snidehockey, Have you heard anything about VMP Tuning? Since im not in the country right now, all i have to judge shops is the forum, a phone call, or an email. Both the phone call and email option were exhausted with LaMotta, and ya, the guy definately seemed like dick! But I heard good things about them? I just want to be able to have a decent experience with the guy who holds my cars fate in his hands, customer service is kinda important to me. I think I'm gonna roll with VMP unless I hear something to convince me otherwise though. And the guy who runs VMP, his wife was Babe of the Year for 5.0 Mustangs Mag! Thats pretty tight! (no influence on my decision, lol, just a cool fact!)