HELP!

lxman

Nov 5, 2010
Avondale, AZ
Ok! I am all out of ideas! I have ran the tests, replaced the starter solinoid, battery, battery cables, starter cable, starter, and the ignition switch. All with the same result. The starter engages on run instead of start! I have no idea what else to do? The starter just stays engaged when the engine starts, causing it to idle high as hell cause its still going. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Does the starter engage as soon as you turn the key to run, or does the starter latch after the start position is released?

What did testing of the S-terminal show? Is it hot only while cranking?

Year or Stang and style of starter is also needed.

Good luck.

Its a carbed 90 lx that was originally a 4 cylinder. It is an 86 F150 motor and an 80 C4 tranny. Old style starter. The starter engages as soon as the key is turned to the run position. i dont remeber what the results were just that everything checked out ok. I found a way to get around it that works, its kinda of a redneck way of doin it. But, I made it look clean still (toggle switch). i want to eventually fix it to just the key ignition though.

The S-terminal circuit might be hot in run instead of only during cranking. I'd check it at the solenoid. If it's hot in run, check it at the ignition switch. Something might have been wired or pinned incorrectly at the switch.

pull the little wire off the terminal and check voltage..do you have 12V constant when the key is on? Or only 12v when you turn to start?

I assume by redneck way, you just put a toggle switch on this little wire? In that case, it's definitely something ignition related.

I would have to agree. You said you checked everything. You don't remember what the results were when you checked the small wire to the solenoid. How do you know it checked out OK if you don't remember what the results were? We'll just call it an anti-theft device (starter interrupt) and no one has to know it's messed up.

I will check it again. But, yeah the toggle switch makes it work just fine. It's just like have a push to start button. I dont mind it really cuz I took my time and made it look nice. I appreciate the help guys. My wife is starting to get pissed that i put a lot of money into this thing. Lol! Then I just remind her I that i bought her, her dream car for our anniverasry which is Sunday. Then she says fine, lol its a 99 eclipse gsx. But the mustang will still kick its but.