Here is what I have on my N/A car... what else can I do for more HP?

• Sponsors (?)

A. Go buy a LS1 car. B. Swap in an 01 Cobra engine. C. Swap in a 03-04 mach 1 engine. D. Go the power adder route. E. Be happy with what you have........In short, the money you would spend on heads and cams is not worth the money IMO, intakes are FREEKIN $$$ too, bullitt $800 new, P51 is like $1300...around 10-15 hp for bullit, and 17 for P51. So lets see, $800 for intake + $1300 for heads + $500 for cams= $2600+....and bam around 300 RWHP.That assuming you do ALL the work, cant imagine $60 dollars per hour for someone to do the work LOL.If you think its worth it, then go for it.

hotmustang331 said:
A. Go buy a LS1 car. B. Swap in an 01 Cobra engine. C. Swap in a 03-04 mach 1 engine. D. Go the power adder route. E. Be happy with what you have........In short, the money you would spend on heads and cams is not worth the money IMO, intakes are FREEKIN $$$ too, bullitt $800 new, P51 is like $1300...around 10-15 hp for bullit, and 17 for P51. So lets see, $800 for intake + $1300 for heads + $500 for cams= $2600+....and bam around 300 RWHP.That assuming you do ALL the work, cant imagine $60 dollars per hour for someone to do the work LOL.If you think its worth it, then go for it.

If a 4.6L with heads/cams/intake only makes 300RWHP, there is something very wrong.

nickthegenius said:
If a 4.6L with heads/cams/intake only makes 300RWHP, there is something very wrong.

I am staying on the conservative side. You may make 315-320RWHP, but still thats not very much HP for all the work. You better off going a different route or doing like the co owner of the "Need for Speed" speed shop in our town is doing to his 98 (i believe) 4.6 GT, dropping a 347 stroker engine in it.Now that should be pretty wicked.

nickthegenius said:
OK....so I have a few questions for you.

1. You're not Mustanglife by any chance are you?

2. What does your car dyno w/o the nitrous? Somehow I bet its not in the 285-300 range (or 315-330 range with ported heads) it would be if it had a good set of cams in it.

3. You're suggesting a CAI for performance?

4. Keeping 3.73s for a N/A car is a good idea and 4.10s will make a small difference?

5. What about the P51 and Bullit intakes? Are they too restrictive for you?

I think I hear the baby Jesus crying....

lol its cute how fast u kids start sniveling over a reality check of the 4.6

newsflash, the difference in quartermile between 4.10's and 3.73's is minimal.

and yeah, compaired to the majority of V8's, 4.6 cams dont give nearly the power for the money. ypu people think a 30hp gain at peak is great, this just shows your inexperience with V8's and racing as a whole. take a 4.6, throw some cams, an aftermarket intake (hey, they only start above a grand, no comparison to a 200 dollar 5.0 aftermarket manifold, right?) and do all your little bolt ons, and what do you get? thirteens. get some good tire and learn how to drive, and maybe a high 12.

hey, its cool though, keep your little illusion long as you guys want. just dont be pissed when a 5.0 blows by you with half the money invested.

TeriiK said:
lol its cute how fast u kids start sniveling over a reality check of the 4.6

newsflash, the difference in quartermile between 4.10's and 3.73's is minimal.

and yeah, compaired to the majority of V8's, 4.6 cams dont give nearly the power for the money. ypu people think a 30hp gain at peak is great, this just shows your inexperience with V8's and racing as a whole. take a 4.6, throw some cams, an aftermarket intake (hey, they only start above a grand, no comparison to a 200 dollar 5.0 aftermarket manifold, right?) and do all your little bolt ons, and what do you get? thirteens. get some good tire and learn how to drive, and maybe a high 12.

hey, its cool though, keep your little illusion long as you guys want. just dont be pissed when a 5.0 blows by you with half the money invested.

It may be minimal to a bolt-on car, but a car with cams really like more gear. We're talking about getting the most power out of a N/A car and to do that, ported heads and cams are a must. With those two mods, you'll end up with a car whose powerband is higher and needs deeper gears to get the best performance and sorry, but 3.73s aren't going to cut it. I don't even have ported heads yet and my 3.73s need to go.

Also, there is no illusion. You want to go faster with a 4.6L, you're going to have to spend money. So what? Yeah, a 5.0 may go faster cheaper, but some of us don't want to start out with some ratted out 10yo SN95 or a 11-25yo Fox. Even if you do decide to go with a Fox body, nice ones are getting harder and harder go come by. By the time you make it look good enough that you're not embarrased to drive it, its not really going to be the bargain it started out as.

As far as the mods, nearly every car I've owned has had a V8 and I know what the old school pushrod motors do with cams, manifolds, headers, etc. If you want extra power for a 4.6L, you only have so many choices for power. There are no 55hp cams, so we either buy the ones that give us 20-30hp or nothing. We have basically 3 existing intakes as options. They all work much better than stock and are around $1000. Again, so what? Thats all thats available. There are plenty of guys deep in the twelves and high-11s on stock short-blocks, p/p heads, and cams. I know, I know your car is better and probably runs 9.50s because it has stock cams and isn't "choking" but some of us want to wring out every last bit of potential our engines have naturally aspirated.

If 4.6s are so gay, why do you own one? BTW, you still need to post some dyno charts of your bolt-on beast w/o the juice.

Tobias00GT said:
I have:
Accufab Plenum
Accufab 75mm TB
Steeda Underdrive Pullies
Diablo Sport Chip
Bassani X-Pipe /w Hi flow cats
Magnapack Catback
3.73 gears
And I have a bunch of suspension work done

Besides Nitrous, a S/C... what other bolt ons are out there that can help me out?

I heard the K&N Desencharger is not bad.. I'm told the 80mm C&L isn't worth it.

I was thinking I might get some new agressive cams... I'm told that would give me about 10 more rwhp. I would love to get my heads Ported and Polished... and do the cams at the sametime but I believe that is out of my price range.

Any suggestions?
honestly i would look on e bay and buy a set of used p1 heads, bang for the buck there gonna flow more and then add a c&l 80mm mass air. and yes definitly worth it and dyno proven time and time again check out there internet site. let me know how it goes bro. gearhead81a

sorry kids, i dont ever recal having an "NA" beast, there is a reason i put a bottle on, to do the same with bolt ons costs to much.

you're arguement that 4.6's are "nicer" so thats why you mod them is ridiculous. is your objective to go fast, or just to have a dyno queen? if you want to act like you race but not push on the car, you might as well go buy a supra. plenty of people have pretty little GT's with chrome and loud exhaust, i didnt expect you to be one of them, but if looks are that important, well there ya go. fact is, if you bought a 4.6 for looks, then wtf are you doing putting cams in anything?

and s281, if you think you can mock it, then explain to me what i did to the MAC to tune it? why wasnt it good enough stock? oh wait, you dont know jack about it do you? or about me. why dont you address the topic or shut the hell up? sounds great.

If it were my car, long tubes would be the next mod. If you end up porting the heads, buying cams, and any of the aftermarket intakes, you be damn near the cost of a blower. Id do long tubes and save for a Kenne Belle, that way you dont have to replace the intake.

TeriiK said:
and s281, if you think you can mock it, then explain to me what i did to the MAC to tune it? why wasnt it good enough stock? oh wait, you dont know jack about it do you? or about me. why dont you address the topic or shut the hell up? sounds great.
I just went by your sig, it says (tuned) :shrug: and you have a 3in exhaust
and only a CAI. You lost any power you gained from the CAI buy putting the 3in exhaust on, most people only have that big of exhaust if they are running turbo or big blower. Unless you meant 3in tip, then I could see that. And since when is a Spec Stage 1 a racing clutch?? You can make a N/A 2v car run in the low 11's if you want to. You can put one in the 12's with 260rwhp.
To think you have to guy buy a LS1 to go fast you are lost!!!
My car will run mid 12's next season N/A with bolt ons, what will you do?????

03-s281 said:
I just went by your sig, it says (tuned) :shrug: and you have a 3in exhaust
and only a CAI. You lost any power you gained from the CAI buy putting the 3in exhaust on, most people only have that big of exhaust if they are running turbo or big blower. Unless you meant 3in tip, then I could see that. And since when is a Spec Stage 1 a racing clutch?? You can make a N/A 2v car run in the low 11's if you want to. You can put one in the 12's with 260rwhp.
To think you have to guy buy a LS1 to go fast you are lost!!!
My car will run mid 12's next season N/A with bolt ons, what will you do?????

the brand is actually called SPEC Racing, so i call it by its brand...which is correct. i didnt lose any power from the exhaust, its funny how you think you know someone elses car as well as your own. im sorry, but am i supposed to be impressed with a 12 second pass from a V8? hell, i was annoyed when my 91 fox ran a 12.14 on its shakedown pass after the kit was put on it. i regret selling that car, but im gonna sell this 4.6 and buy another 5.0.

anyway, here is your wakeup call, you think 12's is fast, i think thats cute. with enough money you can make anything run a 12, its not a big deal. hell, running a 12 with all that money put in your car, you sound like an import driver :owned:

anyway, im giving this kid back his thread.

"you're arguement that 4.6's are "nicer" so thats why you mod them is ridiculous. is your objective to go fast, or just to have a dyno queen?

I can just as easily take my wife out somewhere nice, drive it to school, take a trip in it, or head to the track and click off high-12's (hopefully low-mid 12s with p/p heads and 4.30s this spring). I'm not going to take the wife out on Saturday night in some dinged-up, faded, ****-box Fox body with ripped interior that smells like a bingo hall inside.

if you want to act like you race but not push on the car, you might as well go buy a supra. plenty of people have pretty little GT's with chrome and loud exhaust, i didnt expect you to be one of them, but if looks are that important, well there ya go.

Believe me, I push the car. This past summer was a real learning experience getting the car to hook up and going from 13.90s down to 12.90s just with persistance in getting the car to hook up and learning a decent launching technique. The last time the car was at the track I made 24 passes in about 4 hours. Had a '03 Cobra not spit a half-shaft and lube down the track, I would have had a couple extra hours and probably gotten 40 passes the same day.

fact is, if you bought a 4.6 for looks, then wtf are you doing putting cams in anything?"

Whats wrong with buying a car that looks good compared to a car thats 10+ years old and looks like crap? I like the '99-up body and it just happens to have a 4.6 in it. Add some headers, gears, cams, pullies, and now I have a nice looking '03 GT that is in the 12's and going faster the more I practice. BTW, what does your car run on the juice or off? You still haven't offered that information yet.

anyway, here is your wakeup call, you think 12's is fast, i think thats cute. with enough money you can make anything run a 12, its not a big deal. hell, running a 12 with all that money put in your car, you sound like an import driver

On your way to work tomorrow, make a mental note of how many cars you pass from home to your job that can run 12's or faster and get back with us. I don't know where your at, but around here 12-second cars are few and far between unless you go to the dragstrip on a night where they are running full-race cars. At IRP, if you go on T&T night, there may be 10-15 cars out of 150 that run 12's.

FalconGuy016 said:
Why are people saying cams are worthless?

Basically the guy is saying that you can get huge gains with a camswap in a 5.0, but only 20-30hp with a camswap on a 4.6L. Therefore, we are all idiots and should sell our nice newer cars and buy a ratted out Fox body so we can go fast cheap.

nickthegenius said:
Who are they done by? Make sure it is someone reputable and try to stay away from Patriot. Although I haven't had first-hand experience with them, there have been numerous reports of exhaust seats falling out of the heads and in turn causing bigger problems.

The old patriot heads had short guides in them. They had too much clearance, and burned oil. I sent mine back to patriot, and they sent me a brand new set with longer guides in them. They have the problem fixed now. It was just something they had to figure out on their first sets of heads. They are the only shop I know of that stands behind their product.
These motors can make good power N/A. Mine made 297 RWHP with cams that had the wrong base circle. (Kind of like driving a pushrod car with the rocker arms out of adjustment). It sounded like My lifters were gonna pop out of the block! I sent my cams back to comp, and they are sending me a new set with the correct base circle. Hopefully I can hit 320 RWHP. And I dont have pulleys, or a cold air intake.