here's one I never had happen before- $5 paypal to whoever can figure this out-

To make this interesting- Ill paypal $5 to whoever can tell me whats going on- because Im lost- :shrug:

So Im cruising home in my 66 fastback-

351W, aluminum radiator, fan shroud, 50/50 mix in the radiator-

pull into the gas station, as soon as I turn off the car- woooooossshhhh

hose goes- its 100 degrees outside, car is running around 200 degrees-

but spikes to 240 before I shut it off- (I am running iron heads)

I literally say out loud "crap"

I wait for the steam to stop pooring from under the hood, open it up, and its not too bad- hose to the heater core from the water pump burst-

This is easy-

I take the good hose, bypass the heater core, and hook it up straight to the water pump- should work fine right?

I buy some coolant, add about a 50/50 mix back into the car-

should be good to go- right?

NO :bang:

Now within half of a mile leaving the gas station, the needle is creeping up past 200, I shut it down at 235 as it is still climbing-

I wait, start it again, still needle is climbing-

I check oil to look for coolant in case I lost a head gasket, oil looks perfect-

am I missing something here?

I have bypassed the heater a million times before-

any thing I should be looking for?

This is driving me crazy- :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

This car always runs at 180-190 but was at 200 today because it was like a million degrees outside-

so what else could I have broken?

• Sponsors (?)

The lower hose can collapse due to cavitation, but that is usually a secondary problem when something else is wrong, such as you're low on coolant which will also make you overheat.

Your thermostat is stuck. Is that $5 to everyone who guesses right?

OK Ive got TD68302- thermostat
Nasa GT- air bubble in coolant system-
DHearne= head gaskets on backwards..LOL

3 things I have not checked-

Friday night I will work on this again- I will let you know if someone got it right-

(Id play with it tonight, but Im off to Sioux Falls SD for a quick business trip)

$5 is only to the first person to suggest it- thought it would make it interesting..LOL

OK Ive got TD68302- thermostat
Nasa GT- air bubble in coolant system-

3 things I have not checked-

Friday night I will work on this again- I will let you know if someone got it right-

(Id play with it tonight, but Im off to Sioux Falls SD for a quick business trip)

$5 is only to the first person to suggest it- thought it would make it interesting..LOL
Headgaskets on backwards can cause you to overheat.:D
But my guess would T-stat, or a blown head gasket. It is possible it just happened and not bad enough to see milkshake. But a chemical test will show it no matter what.

check to see the pressure in the hoses...... if they are both hard a big system blockage if only one is hard the thermostat could be stuck closed .... take a digital pirometer and measure the inlet and outlet temp of the thermostat housing looking for more than like 5-10 degrees difference... as well as looking for cool spots in the radiator showing a blockage... cool to the touch anywhere on the cooling system means no coolant flow to that part...

Water pump? thremostat is the best guess

Since water pump and thermostat are taken, I might as well list some others just in case I get $5.

Insufficient passage in radiator or within coolant routing within intake/block/heads.

Detonation/ignition problem causing mad overheating. This also includes if a cylinder is/was missing...

If you have an electic fan, a relay or other connection might be getting too hot and it stops working when its hot (my caddy recently started doing this... gets hot, which is when the fans are needed, then they stop working. booooooooo)

If this only started after replacing heads or head gaskets, then D. Hearne could be on to something. I didn't get that impression. Since I can't make $5 on the thermostat, and you don't have an automatic tranny, I'll say the block is cracked in a cylinder wall.

You laugh at this suggestion, but it's a common mistake with Ford head gaskets. I had a 400M that would do exactly what you describe. It ran fine for 10-20 minutes, then suddenly the coolant stuck in the block would flash to steam and blow back thru the waterpump and out the radiator. Granted, a Windsor's coolant path is different, in that it doesn't go back into the block and then to the T-Stat and outlet, but if the gaskets are on backwards, the coolant will shortcut back to the intake and keep the coolant at the rear of the block somewhat in place till the temps reaches the right point where it then forces it's way forward, causing the problem you describe. On small block gaskets, there's a piece of gasket in the lower front corner, that protrudes out from under the head on the end marked "FRONT" , if the gasket is installed backwards, there will be no "extra" gasket protruding here. Sorry, I'd post a pic, but can't at the moment, maybe someone else can:shrug: This protruding extra gasket is a tattle tail and an easy way to verify the gasket's are installed correctly. That 400 was put together by a previous owner and it and at least 2 other engine's I've had in the past few years all had the head gaskets (or at least one) installed backwards. It's an easily overlooked mistake to the uninformed.:nono: