Here's the New Mustang Lineup Ford should build!

Because Shelby hasn't produced a great vehicle since the GT500. Everything he's touched since then has met with disaster. Shelby made great cars in his day, but that was in his day -- 35 years ago.

As for Shelby having built the 'Cobra' name, I beg to differ. He may have started using it, but SVT is the group that made Mustang Cobra a well known and feared name on the streets today. Shelby should stick with his little Cobra concept car for that nameplate. If he wants, fine, let him do a GT500 in the vein of a Cobra R, but for God's sake, don't let him mess up the established Mustang Cobra brand. Because if you give him the chance, he will.

• Sponsors (?)

SVTdriver said:
The problem with that argument is the probably. While I am not doubting that it will sell more cars. I'm not sure that it will sell that many. And until it does Ford likely won't even consider adding extra regular models.

I agree. Plus it cost to much in development of all of these models to get the money back for Ford. They tipically don't make money on special additions, they do them to keep the excitment going. Their bread and butter comes from V6 and GT models. One special addition is enough for one year. If they try to change the special addition every year, they won't sell enough in one year to recover costs. They should never give up the Cobra model.

awalbert88 said:
Because Shelby hasn't produced a great vehicle since the GT500. Everything he's touched since then has met with disaster. Shelby made great cars in his day, but that was in his day -- 35 years ago.

As for Shelby having built the 'Cobra' name, I beg to differ. He may have started using it, but SVT is the group that made Mustang Cobra a well known and feared name on the streets today. Shelby should stick with his little Cobra concept car for that nameplate. If he wants, fine, let him do a GT500 in the vein of a Cobra R, but for God's sake, don't let him mess up the established Mustang Cobra brand. Because if you give him the chance, he will.

I disagree about the cobra name. He did create it and build the legend, only it was not a mustang. It was the true cobra roadsters he built in the 60's. None of the Shelby Mustangs were ever called cobra. They were called Shelby GT350 or 500 and 500KR. And therefore I agree that they should not build a Shelby Mustang with the cobra badge now. Anyway, he will not mess up anything cause he will not be building them. Ford will build them with input from him and no doubt permission to put them in the Shelby registry which will send the price tag into orbit. Ford should keep the SVT Cobra nameplate cause they have been doing it for a long while now.

I think worrying about him taking the Cobra name from the mustang. Is something that has already been decided. In every interview I have seen so far. They keep refering to the top mustang as a Cobra. So it sounds like they have no itention of giving up the Cobra name.

SVTdriver said:
I think worrying about him taking the Cobra name from the mustang. Is something that has already been decided. In every interview I have seen so far. They keep refering to the top mustang as a Cobra. So it sounds like they have no itention of giving up the Cobra name.

Correct. I really think they should place the Shelby between the GT and the SVT Cobra. SVT has worked to long to be relegated below Shelby. With his age he will not stay long at Ford anyway. Putting his car above the Cobra would be a slap in the face of the group that has done the Cobra and Lightning for a long time now. I see the shelby as being mostly a cosmetic change and maybe IRS with 6speed. Maybe bump the hp up 40 or so, but definately keep it well below the Cobra.

SportscarFan said:
Here is the Mustang packages Ford should build. This is just my opinion, not fact, not intended to piss anyone off, just an idea that I have, and incidentally have wanted for about 10 years. this is somewhat compareable to what has already been posted here, but different, and more variable.

Options! Options! Options! Other cars have more options than the late model mustangs have had. The Early mustangs are a paradigm of American cars, and were very option-configurable. New ones are not. You get the three little models that Ford sells, and if you are not happy, then the after-market is your answer, at the cost of your warranty, in most cases. People should be able to build a car from the factory to their taste, and their budget.

Since the '05 Mustang is a re-awakening of the marque, it should fully return to it's foundation by being many cars to many people. That is what founded "Mustang." The new cars are very disappointing in their size, shape, weight, and build quality. Not to mention they are basically updated 78 Fairmonts underneath the skin. The reason the new car has double the torsional rigidity is that the current car is so flexible.

So here's how I see the new model breaking down: All model ranges, except "Track pkg" and Special Editions are available as "SportsRoof" coupes, or convertibles, Track package only with coupe body style, Special Edition depends on the yearly theme, but mostly coupes. The one universal change should be smaller or more sleek side mirrors, rather than those billboards on the show car.

Mustang (base model) MSRP ~$17,995 - highest production numbers
-Standard: 200hp 4.0 V6, 4spd auto or 5spd manual. 16" halibrand-style wheels, Electric windows and locks. cloth interior, plastic dash face panel.
-Additional Options: premium interior (basically up to GT specification) sound system, 5spd Automatic, Torsen or Bosch torque-bias Limited slip diff. (Live axle only) small fog-lights below the bumper. 17" wheels (from GT)
-Performance Package: 4.6 24-valve 300hp V8, 5spd Auto or tremec 5spd manual trans, mandatory GT brakes and spring/dampers. (similar to 87-93 LX 5.0) Base price with Perf. pkg and standard interior would be $19,995. There is your 300hp for under $20,000.

Mustang GT - MSRP ~$24,995 - mainline image and performance model.
-Standard: 300hp 24v V8, 5spd cloth or leather seats, premium interior trim, Aluminum Dash face panel, color-change gauges, etc. (refer to as GT spec.)
5spd automatic, or tremec 5spd manual trans, limited slip live rear axle. Grille-mounted fog-lights and GT appearance package. 17" 5-split spoke wheels. (look like concept car's wheels)
-Optional: t56 6spd transmission. Axle gears: 3:55, 3:73:1. Mach1000 stereo system. 18 inch Cragar-style wheels (see GT show-cars) Red, light Grey, or Blue interior Accents (See red interior on show car) in reference to the tri-color bar of the mustang emblem. Glass roof. (at least a glass sunroof if concept's glass roof is not feasible) Optional fog light delete, optional spoiler delete.

Option Packages:
-RS Package: ~$1,500. Same as GT, same available options, with IRS and 6spd manual or 5spd auto standard. The RS Appearance package includes: RS insignias (rather than GT), wire mesh grille (think Jag S-type R), different air dam with lower fog-lights, smoother rocker panels and rear bumper. similar to SN95 Bullitt ground-effects. The theme of this package is to be a up-market sophisticated car to compete with 350z, G35, BMW 330Ci, RX8, with more horsepower, and lower price. The GT would be the main contender for the drag-race Camaro-fighting customers, and sticks to a live axle. An RS Automatic would be a car for someone who might otherwise buy a Mercedes C320 Coupe.

-Track package: Factory race options. Optional 5.0 DOHC engine. SVT brakes. Lightweight Sheet-moulded compound fenders, cowl-induction hood, trunk lid. Standard 18" wheels. Standard 5spd auto or manual, optional 6spd. Less sound-deadening, fog light delete. optional AC-delete, rear seat delete. Factory lightweight GT (drag pack) **Can be paired with RS Package for IRS and 6spd in a lightweight autocross/road racing spec.
These would be build to order ONLY. they would cost more and would be made in limited numbers on demand. No dealer stock, quite possibly built by SVT.

Mustang Special Edition MSRP - ~$28-29,995. Yearly special models in limited numbers, like Boss 5.0 or Boss 5.4, Mach 1, Bullitt, etc. Instant collectors items.
5.0 DOHC (~350hp) Standard, Manual trans only. Big brakes, lowered springs, Live Axle or IRS, 5 or 6spd Manual trans depending on theme of that year's special edition. Custom paint and body details depending on theme. Full interior options standard. Possibly "Track pack" options similar to GT/RS.

SVT Mustang. (Possibly commemorative Shelby nameplate like GT350, could be Cobra, but I wouldn't mind if they went away from that name on the mustang-based cars) - ~$34,995, limited production. A step above RS and Special Editions,
Supercharged 5.0 DOHC engine with more than 400hp. IRS and 6 spd standard. Bilstein or Koni dampers, lower springs, larger anti-roll bars. Body-colored Dash face panel, special seats (possibly Recaros) gauges, and trim. Optional rear-seat delete.
SVT appearance package would include a grille with center-mounted foglights (68 Shelby) deeper front air dam and splitter, flat floor-panels with ground effects. rear diffuser, and central exit exhaust. lower rocker panels, functional brake ducts in front, and side-scoops, Leading edge ducts in hood (like Concept car) with cold air intake, heat extractor ducts in rear of hood (69 shelby) Horizontal tail-lights in rear, (like concept and all Shelbys) and louvered or filled in quarter windows, duck-tail spoiler. Optional tape stripes. Offered in charcoal with silver stripes. (Eleanor) and 19" halibrand-style or Magnum500 style wheels. This car would be the figure-head, and compete with the GTO and approach the Corvette. Would provide an in-house hot-rod, to compete with specialty cars like Saleen, Steeda, and Roush, which may end up going up-market, firmly into Corvette territory.

That would provide 6 distinct models (counting v6 and base v8 separately, GT and RS pkg separatel, not counting track pkg cars separately.) and would be the most diverse RWD sports coupe on the market, and the only one that really caters to ameteur road AND drag racers with a factory lightweight, and to younger buyers with a V8 5spd base model. Options could get expensive, but the base model and GT should have good standard features for their prices. Each model may see slightly fewer sales, but averaged together, I think it would sell over all very, very well by catering to many different buyers, much as the original did.

as for me, I would take a theoretical Mustang RS 6spd (because of the IRS), or a full-on Shelby GT350, depending on cash being tight or not.

Have fun dreaming. Maybe It'll come true.

You have way too much time on your hands.lol :rlaugh:

jcp123 said:
i'd love to see the 5.0. it needs some more low-end balls, the 4.6 is weak there. id be all for the smaller bore, longer stroke approach

I actually prefer the wider bore, shorter stroke approach. This approach is ideal for boost, and if you wanted to stay N/A you could always get a stroker crank, and rods.... :nice:

I bet that Ford wishes it were this easy to get a new Mustang, or any other model for that matter, to market...

Just photoshop in a design, lay down a bunch of options, dream up a hp rating and pull a price out of thin air. Who needs designers, engineers, accountants, and marketing... when all Ford really needs to do is log onto this forum!

Its good to dream though...

Why not do what the Mustang originally was? One model. 3 different rooflines (notchback, fastback & convertible). V-6 standard, a couple of V-8s optional, choice of 5-speed, 6-speed or automatic (automatic yecch... sorry, couldn't help it). A GT package optional on any V-8. IRS standard, live axle available on V-8. Couple of sound systems, interior upgrade available on any car.

One of the reasons for the great popularity of the original was the long list of available options, to make your car what you want. That would be MUCH easier for Ford to do nowadays, there was almost no computerization back in 1965 in the assembly plants.

Different models

New Modles offered......... One thing.
SVO i.e. Turbo 4. I know they are never going to do one again but... Come on the focus...? :nonono: Punch out 300hp on a i-4 and pop it into a stang again, unless the weight of the new ones is to much to push around and still be serious. :shrug:

awalbert88 said:

I agree that Shelby hasn't had a whole lot of success with his other projects, except that he had a heck of alot to do with the Viper. :doh:

SVTdriver said:
But along with that computerization came the deletion of many different engine choices and body styles.

The reduction in body styles and engine choices has nothing to do with computerization.

It is because of:

Emissoins regulations
Front Impact regulations
Rear Impact regulations
side impact regulations
Fuel economy regulations
All the different models / engine combinations have to be tested & certified.

Sales volume, the Mustang sells 140,000 units a year not the 500,000+ units it sold in 1965 & 1966.

XtorT'r said:
New Modles offered......... One thing.
SVO i.e. Turbo 4. I know they are never going to do one again but... Come on the focus...? :nonono: Punch out 300hp on a i-4 and pop it into a stang again, unless the weight of the new ones is to much to push around and still be serious. :shrug:
I don't think that would go over well in today's market. The people that are enamored with turboed 4s now days are the people that look down on Mustangs in general.
I mean who would buy it? The sports compact crowd i.e. the realm of the turboed 4 banger wouldn't give it another look as they ran off and bought a hoped up econobox(which would likely be cheaper) and the traditionalists likely wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole when several very capable v8 variants exist.

351CJ said:
The reduction in body styles and engine choices has nothing to do with computerization.

It is because of:

Emissins regulations
Front Impact regulations
Rear Impact regulations
side impact regulations
Fuel economy regulations
All the different models / engine combinations have to be tested & certified.

Sales volume, the Mustang sells 140,000 units a year not the 500,000+ units it sold in 1965 & 1966.

The first 4 are identical if you have one body style, as I proposed. Fuel economy regs? One for each engine/trans offered. Just build your biggest motor to meet the regs (not terribly difficult with the low requirements) and all the others = a piece of cake.

Not doing the above is one of the reason Ford sells a fraction of the number of cars in a larger market.

Does anyone else not like the idea of Ford producing a Shelby model Mustang. I always thought of Shelby as the 60s version of what Saleen and Roush are now, not just a rename of the SVT Cobra.

Yeah that ideas real smart, the pony V6 will just about beat the GT. And another thing, there is no way they're going to produce a mach 1 again, I dont know why everyone keeps throwing this idea around.

65conv50 said:
The first 4 are identical if you have one body style, as I proposed. Fuel economy regs? One for each engine/trans offered. Just build your biggest motor to meet the regs (not terribly difficult with the low requirements) and all the others = a piece of cake.

Not doing the above is one of the reason Ford sells a fraction of the number of cars in a larger market.

You really don't have an understanding of the regulations, testing & certification requirements. It does not work that way you apear to think it does. I don't have the time & energy to educate you, but a vert & coupe have to go through separate tests if for no other reason than they are in different EPA weight categories. Changing the roof line changes the structural characteristics of the vehicle again making it a different model requiring its own testing. You cannot run tests with the biggest motor and then say they apply to all other engines. Even if you could just test with the biggest motor Ford would never do it because they are fighting for every tenth of a MPG to improve their fleet CAFE.