Hey guys, what is this part called? (Steering related) *56k*

Gael

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
Tucson, AZ
I think it attaches to the splined part of the steering rack, and attaches to the thing that goes to the steering wheel, I can't think of the name for the life of me, but I need one. I have one, but it's too big. Manual rack = smaller than power rack.

DCP04162.JPG

DCP04163.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

It's not a rag joint. I guess you can all it a collar.. Flaming river is probably the best place to find one, but it gets rid of the rag joint. (it will come as a universal joint instead of a flat piece of rubber)

I got mine from a car at the junkyard... I searched for a 74-78 mustang/pinto, 79and up mustang, 79 and up fairmont/merc. zephyr,
any of these cars that have a manual rack, will have the piece you need.

I believe the splines on the manual rack are all the same.
The flaming river part is better if you can afford it because it give you a more precise feel for the road thru the steering wheel. since the rubber rag joint is deleted. Best bet would to be to buy the whole new shaft that goes from the bottom of the column to the rack..

good luck

>but it gets rid of the rag joint.

That is wrong, it does not replace the rag joint... it actually bolts to the rag joint.

Manual rack and power rack have different numbers of splines which is why you are having to replace your collar. Also the manual rack has a notch in the shaft so that the bolt on the collar can be tightened properly.

>Best bet would to be to buy the whole new shaft

lots of $$ and time..

d

What I said was that the flaming river unit gets rid of ther rag joint with a universal joint.

And yes it would cost more money if you couldn't find it anywhere else.

Can you really get that piece at napa? I dont mean the rag joint.

And yes the manual and power racks are different, but the manual racks for the cars I listed are the same splines. I do believe.

Pinto may be the exception

the slang term for a steering coupler is a rag joint.all you need to do is get the round flexible piece ( known as the rag ) and bolt it in between the two peices that go to the steering shaft and the rack.We do sell the whole thing already together but im not sure if the splines will be the same for the mII because we only sell one. Its not hard to install it comes with all the hardware you need.

rufus, I don't mean to bust on you.. I just didn't want to mislead Gael. Flaming River sells a universal joint to delete the rag joint. However Flaming River also sells the collar which Gael originally asked about it. I know little about the universal joint other than when I asked the engineers at FR about it, they said I'd have to replace my steering shaft as well to make it work on a II. As for getting the part at Napa, Advance, etc I called around and they tried to sell me the rag joint several times thinking it was the collar... everytime it came in, it was the rag joint not the collar. Those are just the things that I learned when I swapped my PS unit for a manual one.

d

do you happen to know the part number from NAPA for this part? that'd be a lifesafer to know. and it's for the manual rack, not power.

thanks for all the information guys, you're helping me near completion. :D